Author Topic: Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Help me defeat my (super weird) Steam backlog!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 06:17:42 AM »
Cubicle Quest - Final report
I played a game. It was meta.

I paid: 0,99
I played: 16 hours
Worth the wait?: That was a lot of content for 99 cents. My playtime includes all post-game content/optional bosses, by the way. The main character's mum and dad would be proud of my spending habits. As for the quality of the content... Cubicle Quest has strong themes and the jokes make the most of it. It's self-aware without being pretentious. What I liked a little less where some of the dungeons. All dungeons within the game are short but some do have an annoying mechanic, like teleporters or invicible mazes. Also, expect to die a lot. The game gives you a lot of freedom after the introduction, but that does mean running into enemies that are too strong every now and then. Fortunately, you can save pretty much everywhere. Save often and you'll escape a lot of frustration.

Anyway, only one known game left on the list. I could use a few numbers.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 09:49:46 AM »
Great CQ coverage. As I predicted the other day, it is officially going on the ol' wishlist. If no one else picks numbers I'll happily double dip with another digit or 2 to keep this going, just say the word.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 10:16:37 AM »
Go for it. There are plenty of games left and I want to know what I can look forward to :) I wonder if it'll be another RPG Maker game... I think there's about four left of those?

Oh, and I've calculated how long it should/could take me to finish the remaining games on the list: 130-140 hours. If I stick to my current pace, I should be able to (easily) clear the list before the end of the year.

Edit: some other stats. My playtime thusfar is ~34 hours.

In total, I paid €29,30 for the twenty games on the list. The most expensive one was €3,59, the cheapest €0,08. Yeah, seriously. 8 cents. I think that one even has Steam cards, meaning I'll probably make a tiny profit playing that game. Anyway, the average price paid is €1,47.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 04:21:34 PM by Tomara »

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2016, 10:13:53 AM »
Between giveaway's, gifts, trades, bundles, sales and freebie offers it is SO easy to accumulate a large steam library for pocket change. I have 132 games on steam and maybe actually spent 40-50 bucks total. So many of the RPGMaker games I had on my wishlist eventually hit a 50 cent pricepoint and at that how the hell can you say no?

Anyhow, my next numbers/picks are 7 followed by 20. 7 is a good number for *reasons*

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2016, 10:59:37 AM »
So that's Her Story and after that Time Gentleman, Please!. Yep, those are good numbers :)

Meanwhile, I'd love to post my first impressions of Machina of the Planet Tree, but my harddisk seems to be sort of slowly dying... Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up a replacement tomorrow (maybe a nice SSD, 250GB is more than enough for me anyway).

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
With my laptop working better than ever (which doesn't mean much, because it's always been an insult to PC gaming), it's time for an introduction:

Machina of the Planet Tree ~Planet Ruler~ - Report 1

(Yet) another RPG Maker RPG, but this one is a bit different from the last two as it's a doujin game from Japan translated by Sekai Project. Publishers don't pick up just any doujin game for localisation, and it shows. Machina has a ton of custom stuff: character portraits, backgrounds, music, battle system, sprites - there's even a bit of voice acting in there.

The character designs are super anime and I have this feeling I've seen variations of them before, but the sprites are pretty neat and compliment the battle system nicely. You see, Machina works with a combos-system, sort of like a much faster version of Xenogears' or Legend of Legaia's. By chaining a variety of attacks you do more damage and that combo bonus builds up quickly. However, if you keep repeating the same attacks, your damage multiplier goes down. This makes for fast, fun battles and by the time I reached the first boss, I was a bit overleveled just because I enjoyed fighting.

As for the story, it appears to be a pretty basic 'advanced civilization was destroyed and the cause becomes a threat once again (free mysterious girl included)' type of story, but we'll see where it goes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:49:31 PM by Tomara »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »
Machina of the Planet Tree ~Planet Ruler~ - Final report

Ancient high tech civilization. Mysterious girl that lost some memories. World tree. Backstabbing. The world is saved! Sequel hook.

I think that sums up the plot of Machina quite nicely. And yeah, I did not play it for the plot. The dungeons were nothing to write how about either, the battle system however... Man, I haven't had so much destructive fun since... Valkyrie Profile, I think? Creating huge combo chains is just so satisfying. I was reaching 100+ during the final boss battles and the game (or was it my laptop?) actually had some trouble keeping up. It's a good thing the battle system is so great, because battles make up most of the game. (Random encounters are quite frequent.)

But... Holy difficulty jump, Batman! The last 3 hours were mostly bost fights and half of them where tougher than anything else in the game. Granted, I didn't get lucky enough with the excavation points to make myself a few ultimate weapons, and if I did grind for them I might have had an easier them, but some strategy adjustments (and a barely touched item hoard) allowed me to finish the game anyway. Still, those boss fights were definitely too much of a good thing...

I paid: €3,24
I played: 10 hours
Worth the wait?: I had fun playing it, that's for sure. It's just... there's not much worth mentioning besides the battles.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:55:14 PM by Tomara »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 12:45:22 PM »
I asked fellow freelancers to pick some numbers as well, and they chose 2 and 16 - The Cat Lady and Phantasy Star 4.

Good timing, because the waiting list has gotten a bit shorter again:

Her Story - First and final report

Ah, the indie darling of 2015! I should have gotten to this one sooner. For anyone who's missed it: Her Story is a story you piece together by searching a database of clips of police interviews. Many were impressed, but the game also got a lot of crap for not being gamelike enough. There's no score or a solid ending, it's just you searching for and watching clips of a woman talking. You draw your own conclusions and you can let the game end when you're satisfied. That said, finding all clips can be a challenge as you have to pick keywords from old clips to find new ones. (Or you could cheat, but where's the fun in that?) I don't want to spoil anything, but go pick this up if you're into mystery's or like stories told in creative ways.

I paid: €3,59
I played: 3 hours
Worth the wait?: I could have gotten a better deal if I had waited longer, but I'm not going to complain. Her Story is a very memorable experience.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 12:47:44 PM by Tomara »

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »
Thanks for the Machina coverage. Oddly enough this is yet another that was already in my steam library I'd forgotten about.

I must have collected more indie JRPG styled titles than I realized ^_^

Glad it wasn't a bust because that one definitely looked a cut above others in it's category. Also nice to know it isn't a MAJOR time sink. Sometimes the bite-sized portion of these RPGmaker games is just right!

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »
That's what I like about them as well. The better ones tend to be fast-paced, which is great, because for some reason retro RPGs from 'proper' developers are often a bit on the slow side, as if they feel the need to stuff the game with filler (random encounters, long and boring dungeons, endless talking) to justify a 20+ price tag.

Anyway, another one bites the dust!

Yeah, uh, that should be a good indication of the level of sanity you can expect of this sequel to the crude point & click adventure game parody 'Ben There, Dan That!' It takes 90s adventure game logic to its (un)logical conclusion and presents the player with puzzles that involve making a sexy (dead) mouse to get some cheese or swiping a chopped off arm through Hitler's bloody stool to disable a trap in a doom tower, all while making terrible puns and geek culture jokes. The game consistently looks like shit, and in this case, that's a compliment. The controls are also a bit on the shitty side, which is, sadly, not a compliment. It can be hard to figure out which parts are actually clickable and you'd best be prepared for some old-fashioned pixel hunting.

I paid: 0,20 (actually 0,39, but that was with Ben There, Dan That! included, so let's take the average and round it up)
I played: 4 hours
Worth the wait?: I played this at the right time. I participated in an escape room at Abunai (which had a science fiction theme, so lots of aliens and time traveling everywhere), but didn't get to do much because groups of nine turned out to be a bit much. This scratched that adventuring itch.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 01:22:12 PM »
That's what I like about them as well. The better ones tend to be fast-paced, which is great, because for some reason retro RPGs from 'proper' developers are often a bit on the slow side, as if they feel the need to stuff the game with filler (random encounters, long and boring dungeons, endless talking) to justify a 20+ price tag.

God, I can't agree more with this ^^.

Thing is, to expand, I get the same longwinded feeling from playing the actual retro-titles themselves made by proper developers. Some things are just better left fondly remembered.

EXAMPLE: What I mean is this. I suddenly get an urge to play Breath of Fire 2. What I really want is something that feels BoF-ish without it becoming an exercise in patience and tolerance. Truth is, so many of those classics were great because of when they came out and what was available. Charming as BoF2 may have been, I don't in fact want to endure that volume of random encounters, grinding, wonky difficulty spikes et cetera.

When I wanted to play Lufia this past year, the best move I made was picking up Eternal Eden. Scratching the itch just enough without making me bleed! LoL

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 01:36:46 PM »
Yeah, so many retro games with poor controls/unintuitive GUIs/clumsy design flaws on top of the padding...

Which is why I'm sort of dreading Phantasy Star 4. On one hand I'm really curious, because I heard a lot of good things but have next to no experience with the series. On the other... it's old. Now, it's not as if I never play old games (I have a nice VC library on my Nintendo systems), but this one is supposed to be a lot longer than, I don't know, those Game Gear RPG's I played two years ago.

Oh well. We'll see.

(I wonder if this 'Megadrive Collection' thingie the game is part of will let me set the game speed to 1,5x or 2x. That'd be great.)

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 11:06:58 AM »
Phantasy Star 4 will definitely show its age, as even for its time, the production quality was hardly perfect. Still, it's a pretty solid RPG, and the battle system is muy bueno. It's the best title of the main series, in my opinion. One of my favorite 90s console RPGs, actually.
I'd like to say you should find enough to enjoy about it, but different strokes, and all that... It's unlikely you'll hate it, though. I mean, it's not without its flaws of course, but to me, they are more of a 90s-style annoyance than an actual exercise of patience.
I do like the idea of a speed boost.

Klyde Chroma

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »
Phantasy Star 4 amongst a handful of imports from that era have been on my to-do list for quite some time. I get to maybe one or two of these a year anymore, appreciate the experience, and come running back to the contemporary titles pretty fast.

That said, it doesn't sadden me in least that some of my favorite games feel old and lackluster. Moreover I'm getting to the point where I doubt I'll ever take the time to check out what I could have played if I was a japanese kid growing up playing a super famicom. This is only evidence that, as I always say, its an AMAZING time for us as gamer's and RPG enthusiasts/addicts to have the hobby we do.

I mean, really. The VARIETY we have at our fingertips now is proof-positive that the Hindu/Eastern spiritualists are correct... NIRVANA IS NOW ON THE THIS EARTH!! No RPGFan should fall prey to desire or want. We have everything we dreamed of as kids playing games! And its cheap!!

Aaaaaaaand with all that I think I definitely NEED to go try out Chroma Squad now. This thread pushed me over the edge with feeling like it's time to try that one out! LOL

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »
But Chromo Squad isn't even on the list! D: Actually, it's on my wishlist, so if I ever do a sequel to this, it might be on that list.

What I'm playing isn't colourful and funny at all.  It's one of those games I should never ever play before bed (but probably be will because I'm an idiot):

It starts with suicide and an offer - from Death? The Devil? something else entirely? - that could not be refused.

I can't say much about the story thusfar, but yikes, this game is getting the horror part right. The visuals are an eclectic collage of 90's style pixel art, photos, CG backgrounds and who knows what else is in there. There don't seem to be any jumpscares, just an atmosphere that presses down on the player. It does get bloody sometimes, and when it does it's absolutely gruesome due to not just the heavy contrast between the red blood and the bleak environments, but also due to the wounds the blood flows from.