Author Topic: Blue Reflection

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
Re: Blue Reflection
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 07:37:43 AM »
I've always been a bit put off by the Likes/Dislikes style of characterization. Sure it doesn't hurt to have a few fundamentals but that should be more for private writing notes than public display. All that really does is pigeonhole you into cliche territory since certain typical likes are associated with certain baseline personalities. Then again, for Japan this style of 'character building' is about as virulently spread as Blood Type association and dere-types.

Is kinda why I hold absolutely zero hope for there ever being a middle group Magical Girl RPG. Or heck...I'll go so far as to say a middle ground magical girl anime. (Sorry, but Madoka really wasn't that good. XP Had a fantastic start but then pretty much flubbed in the last 1/3rd. And to me your ending is worth 60% of your grade.)

Japan is too caught up in their own creative death-cycle right now. Over-hyped moefication, over use of character archetypes to the point where they're unable to think outside a very specific subset, writers and artists who literally get mopey if they have to put plot before fanservice...it's just a train wreck. That's not to say Japan DOESN'T have good writers mind you. They're just about as rare as proper animation frames in Dragon Ball Super.

The west...eh. There's honestly too many problems to list here. I think I can just basically point at the DCU-Films as why it mostly won't work here. Too many writers are focused on the grey-gritty aspect to the point where any 'darker' approach to Magical Girls they'd take would just be a horrid slog through emo-town's ghetto. Too focused on the Nolan-style approach to remember to capture the 'Magical' half of Magical Girl. Plus...there's that whole aspect where the west in general is just a crappy place to be a writer to begin with. Anyone who actually could write a good western approach to the MG genre is likely impoverished and out of sight. Since the west only really cares about writing if A) It has pretty pictures. B) It's from an already established, published writer; even if it's bad writing, or a 14+ book series half full of filler, or said writer already has enough money to live comfortably for 10 people. Or C) The author is dead for well over a decade.

A proper MG RPG basically needs a miracle to happen. Which is a sad thing. That genre needs better representation.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:46:20 AM by ZeronHitaro »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2016, 12:02:33 PM »
"A World That Interweaves Girls"??  :/
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 06:38:53 PM »
Souldiers is a Western-hemisphere magical girl fiction story I read on a whim a couple of years ago when I needed a palate cleanser "fluff" book.  The premise and all was pretty ridiculous (but what magical girls premise isn't?) but I thought the action scenes were pretty nifty. 

https://www.amazon.com/Souldiers-Reveille-Aisa-ebook/dp/B00GBIH7A6/ref=la_B00GEEKIXK_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472682970&sr=1-1#nav-subnav
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 10:18:24 PM »
Man you guys are nit-picky.  I'm not saying this game is going to be great or anything, but it's a bit early to be ripping it to shreds seeing how we hardly even know anything yet...

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »
Lemme get personal for a minute. (I'll try to be concise, promise.)

If you create a work a fiction, something that you actually give, to be frank, any sort of DAMN about; it consumes your entire mental state. You're not writing 'merely' a little scene, telling a plot-confined tale, or just ticking off a list of interchangeable cast members. Your mind becomes host to an entire ***ing WORLD. if not universe. You see, feel, and experience all the possible paths your children can take, know the history of your world, how it came to be, where it's going, all the major historical happenings that ever have been and ever will be. You essentially have to invite dozens of other souls into your own body. Their histories and essence stays there as part of you while you work telling their story. If provoked you could easily write paragraphs, if not essays working through their ins and outs. Those who really care about their work, as though it were birthed from their own body, do their damnedest to defy convention; while still allowing their work to grow organically and evolve into a living being in and of it self.

Now, if you've ever been a part of that world, you gain an eye for seeing the creative process in others. All the tricks, quirks, and other creator traits that typically lie just below the surface and require an unfamiliar individual to pause and analyze the world to pick up for themselves.

Blue Reflection's presentation material...is an abhorrent mess. It's a broad-strokes piece that fails to settle on much of anything specific, having really nothing to say about the world as a whole or the characters beyond one little sick-girl cliche. (An already dead on arrival concept as far back as Kanon, if not further.) And those one-word descriptors? Those aren't even fit to be details for a Wordpad prototype rough draft. To put it in more relateable terms; essentially Gust has come to us and said "Look at this masterpiece of art I put together!" When you can clearly see the numbers, dots, and ripped edge from the Baby's First Magical Girl coloring book they haphazardly stripped it out of. It's cute, charming even...if they were kindergarten age or below. Not a group of 20, 30, 40+ year old adults with supposed extensive experience and creative integrity.

I bust my posterior working on my craft. I've spent the last 10 years clawing and scraping at my writing skills.  The only time I ever received unsolicited feedback was over 4 years ago. (And that's not valid seeing as how that abomination was one of the worst pieces of literary tripe I can only pray to never reproduce. Hell that review actually proactively haunts me.)  I don't know if I'm good, bad, or somewhere in-between. I could be the worst writer on the planet for all I know. Seeing as how it's quite likely if given the choice, to anyone really, between my life or reading my work I would place 99.9% odds of myself falling in favor of the grave every time. There might not be much of a sentient being left here, but I still take enough pride in my work, shoddy or not, to avoid such half-handed work as this.

So, you show me something as shoddily presented, poorly fleshed out, and most insultingly...written by individuals who actually get paid, have access to basic human rights like doctors, don't spend the majority of their life in a room barely larger than a US standardized prison cell, and actually get to 'claim' this is their successful life's work?

There's no such thing as 'too early' if you've put it out on public display.

Oh, and important note, just in case. None of that vitriol is directed at you Kev. :3 Just needed to clarify why I feel justified in assaulting their presentation~. <3
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:07:24 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 01:35:44 AM »
With all due respect, what you have been looking at is not a rough draft or anything of the sort.  It's marketing material.

"Poorly fleshed out"?  They're not trying to flesh things out here.  That isn't the objective.  This isn't even a first look.  It's a teaser.

Do you honestly believe they don't have anything else in their design documents for these characters beyond the one-line descriptions they've shared with us?  Really?  That isn't being cynical, it's being ridiculous.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 08:17:46 AM »
It doesn't even qualify as marketing material. If that were my project I'd be aghast at that being how the world is first introduced to my characters and concepts.

I mean come on.

It isn't being ridiculous to chastise that. That's like if McDonalds released a advert saying nothing but the following: "New product~! Burger! $3.39"

Also, let's not beat around the bush here. This is a JRPG we're talking about. Odds are half of that isn't promotional material, it's not a rough draft, it's the final product. Having the trifecta misfortune to belong to Gust, Koei, and the MG genre; you can bet a lot of those one word and one line personalities are going to be the singular note these characters hit and never evolve from. Their history proves it. Just throw a dart at a wall of Gust and Koei characters and odds are in your favor you'll hit something whose evolution starts and ends with a single sentence. Even if some have, literally 120+ hours of games to attempt to evolve.

"Scary face, mildly annoyed."

"Christmas Cake complex."

"Likes: Money"

"Over 120+ characters, only 4-5 character personality templates."

And that's just picking on these two companies. The entirety of Japanese fiction-writing has pretty much worked developmentalless characters down to a freaking science over the past decade and a half. For instance, I really only need to drop the words 'tsundere romantic interest' to send a shudder down the spine of everyone who understands that implication.

So yes, in some cases I 'do' believe they have little more than that blurb scribbled down. Because when you're being lazy with your creation that's all you need to work with as a pre-programmed archetype writes itself.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:44:40 AM by ZeronHitaro »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »
With all due respect, what you have been looking at is not a rough draft or anything of the sort.  It's marketing material.

"Poorly fleshed out"?  They're not trying to flesh things out here.  That isn't the objective.  This isn't even a first look.  It's a teaser.

Do you honestly believe they don't have anything else in their design documents for these characters beyond the one-line descriptions they've shared with us?  Really?  That isn't being cynical, it's being ridiculous.

At the very least I'd argue it's poor marketing material, since usually you gotta show what's new and different about it, especially when it's a new IP like this. Judging from the fact that they're putting the characters at the forefront, you'd expect that those are supposed to be the most important part. Even if its just a tease, I personally haven't seen anything that makes me think its worth paying attention to. Maybe it's just too early to show off, maybe they just have nothing to show. I'll only find out if I actually remember its title by the time it crops up again...

Granted, perhaps more teasers are like that, and I'm being too harsh. I don't read teaser articles very often. And if they are gonna pull a Madoka, then it'd make sense that they'd coat it in a thick layer of sugary syrup, so you don't notice the peruvian death pepper underneath...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 08:26:18 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 10:18:56 AM »
(understandable rant)

And yet, amongst the Disqus comments on the link, you have people who are picking favorite girls already, with such thoughtful comments as "This one likes music.  She has the same taste as me!"
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »
"christmas cake complex" $E%@&*

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
(understandable rant)

And yet, amongst the Disqus comments on the link, you have people who are picking favorite girls already, with such thoughtful comments as "This one likes music.  She has the same taste as me!"

As someone who has been on the recieving end of a 'you like videogames, please be my girlfriend', I almost feel sorry for these fictional girls.

On the other hand, I can't help but adding my own twist to generic 'likes' and imagine what that character would be like.

Likes: Thinking (about hot guys engaging in unprotected sex)
Likes: Sports (especially the violent fights with fans of the opposing teams)
Likes: Clothes (and thinks the bold, often neon coloured patterns of the early nineties are due for a comeback)
Likes: Training (her attack dog Hector to go straight for the throat)
Likes: Cooking (and bullies her little sister into doing the dishes)
Likes: Accessoires (which is her way of saying the really like easily manipulated bad boys)
Likes: Flowers (but only if they're handed to her by handsome/rich men)
Likes: Going out (and doesn't mind missing a few classes - or school days - in the process)

forweg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 02:09:46 PM »
The entirety of Japanese fiction-writing has pretty much worked developmentalless characters down to a freaking science over the past decade and a half. For instance, I really only need to drop the words 'tsundere romantic interest' to send a shudder down the spine of everyone who understands that implication.

Wow. Someone who think the "entirety of Japanese fiction-writing" is otaku/anime stuff. I've seen a lot of ignorant comments on a variety topics all over the internet, but this has to take the cake.

Talk about cultural chauvinism.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 02:43:51 PM »
^At the preceding thread.

All right guys and gals, can we cut the crap until at least the first follow up?

Announcements rarely say anything of importance and bumrushing the stage with pitchforks and torches isn't gonna change shit.

So get back into your seats and shut up before I call to the mods to nuke this thread from orbit.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 03:08:01 PM »
On another note, this thread has gotten a lot more intense than this game will probably ever get.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 03:40:29 PM »
Hell of a first post.