« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 03:45:09 PM »
Date Registered: March 4th, 2011

RPGfan has the strangest of lurkers.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
Re: Blue Reflection
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »
I don't mind being called out on misusing hyperbole. That's my fault for not choosing my phrasing more carefully.

More than a little funny though the criticism seems well-received consider its own hyperbolic nature.

My post is apparently worst than every ounce of misogynistic posting cultivated by net-culture and Donald Trump's twitter.

Nice work mods. <3

einthesuperdog

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »
Hey, looks like this thread has definitely raised some passions. Lets all just take a deep breath for a second and let people like or dislike whatever they please. There is no need to tell people to shut up nor to impugn others' taste in games. Lets all just step away from the keyboards for a second.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »
The entirety of Japanese fiction-writing has pretty much worked developmentalless characters down to a freaking science over the past decade and a half. For instance, I really only need to drop the words 'tsundere romantic interest' to send a shudder down the spine of everyone who understands that implication.

Wow. Someone who think the "entirety of Japanese fiction-writing" is otaku/anime stuff. I've seen a lot of ignorant comments on a variety topics all over the internet, but this has to take the cake.

Talk about cultural chauvinism.

I thought it was pretty clear that we're discussing writing in video games?

Perhaps I'm mistaken.

I can definitely sympathize with both sides of the Calm Those Passionate Opinions Of Yours Down phenomenon, for sure.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »
(understandable rant)

And yet, amongst the Disqus comments on the link, you have people who are picking favorite girls already, with such thoughtful comments as "This one likes music.  She has the same taste as me!"

As someone who has been on the recieving end of a 'you like videogames, please be my girlfriend', I almost feel sorry for these fictional girls.

On the other hand, I can't help but adding my own twist to generic 'likes' and imagine what that character would be like.

Likes: Thinking (about hot guys engaging in unprotected sex)
Likes: Sports (especially the violent fights with fans of the opposing teams)
Likes: Clothes (and thinks the bold, often neon coloured patterns of the early nineties are due for a comeback)
Likes: Training (her attack dog Hector to go straight for the throat)
Likes: Cooking (and bullies her little sister into doing the dishes)
Likes: Accessoires (which is her way of saying the really like easily manipulated bad boys)
Likes: Flowers (but only if they're handed to her by handsome/rich men)
Likes: Going out (and doesn't mind missing a few classes - or school days - in the process)

Now that love-adventure I would totally play.  However, I say that as someone who's played so many love-adventures with so many predictable archetype anime girls that I look for something a little different, a little askew, a little twisted.  But for the average "otaku type" who wants to live out the fantasy of dating one of several anime girls whose personalities and archetypes remind them of their favorite anime characters, then the material we scoff at as "generic" or whatnot will totally fulfill their desires.  

As a reviewer, I often have to consciously step out of myself and think like the demographic who would enjoy said game.  It's kinda like with film reviews.  We can all think of films that critics have derided but audiences have loved and paid good money to see.  And how many films win all the awards, but are not exactly movies we want to see?  

But to reiterate the positive I mentioned in my previous post, I rather liked that beautifully melancholy piano piece that played on the game's official website, so the potential for a good soundtrack is there.  Did anyone else like that music?

EDIT: Speaking of music, I never understood how "but you both like music" is ever a good enough reason to try and set two people up on a date.  I mean, EVERYone likes music.  Even the hearing impaired like music.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 06:30:37 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 11:16:24 PM »
EDIT: Speaking of music, I never understood how "but you both like music" is ever a good enough reason to try and set two people up on a date.  I mean, EVERYone likes music.  Even the hearing impaired like music.   

I met someone who didn't apparently think much of music. I knew immediately they were not someone I would need to know in my life.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2016, 03:49:48 AM »
Unimpressive and generic so far? Sure. But assumptions have been proven wrong before , like with Konosuba that looked to be the most generic show of winter 2016 and turned out to be hysterical (technically not the same thing I know, but is relevant enough).

"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2016, 06:48:52 AM »
There was that one time I took a look at some screenshots of Banjo Kazooie and thought "well, this is going to suck". So yeah, first impressions can be so very, very wrong. Looks terrible to me, but the closest thing I've played to a "Magic girl" game was probably X-2 (though that was actually alright), so this isn't really my thing. Either way, it's perfectly fine to have an opinion about a game, just make sure not to make it personal with other forum dwellers.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 07:02:33 AM by Maxximum »
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »
Unimpressive and generic so far? Sure. But assumptions have been proven wrong before , like with Konosuba that looked to be the most generic show of winter 2016 and turned out to be hysterical (technically not the same thing I know, but is relevant enough).

It seems like for the past 3 years, the most popular Winter Anime always comes out of left field...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes