Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 10:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331911 Posts in 13593 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shenmue III?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shenmue III?  (Read 1333 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »

One of my fave games of all time was Shenmue for the Dreamcast. It brought a whole new level of realism to games while being so interesting that I found it hard to put down. I loved how it mixed RPG gameplay with graphic adventure, simulation, fighting and arcade gameplay. Anyway, when the X Box rolled around, I never picked up Shenmue II because frankly I didn't pick an X Box up due to that system having VERY few RPG's on it. The only games in the life of the system that appealed to me was Shenmue II and Jade Empire. And now that I think of it, Shenmue might not have been officially released her... But anyway, there was talk of Shenmue being a trilogy. I haven't heard talk about this in a year or more. Is the game dead as dreams?
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 05:03:32 PM »

There is no Shenmue III, but a PC-based action-oriented MMORPG, Shenmue Online is in development. The problem is however that Shenmue Online was already announced back in 2004. Back then Sega wanted to release the game in 2005, first in China and South Korea, then in Japan. Because of trouble with the South Korean company development company and other issues, the game still has not been released. In August 2006, Sega showed off a new high-res trailer at China Joy, though. The game's development apparently is now handled by Yuu Suzuki's development team in Japan. That being said, a closed-beta test was scheduled to commence in mainland China late last year, but to my knowledge that did not materialize either.

Yuu Suzuki apparently still wants to make a Shenmue III, but given the costs of the first two games and the trouble with Shenmue Online, I kinda doubt Sega's management will grant him the financial resources to do so.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 11:58:03 PM »

I have heard rumors that the Shenmue development team wanted to release an anthology of Shenmue I-III on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, or who knows, perhaps even a Wii was in the cards, but I somehow doubt that. According to an anonymous source, obtained from some fan site or something, Shenmue III was already complete, but was shelved sometime ago. Again, there is nothing concrete to back that information up, so take it with a grain of salt.

Anyhow, I surely hope we see some sort of conclusion to the Shenmue story, as it really is quite beautiful. I enjoyed Shenmue II especially.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:17:29 AM »

That rumor probably came from such reliable sources as the MagicBox or Spong :P.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 07:29:38 PM »

Kikizo Shenmue III article.

That article is where I got those rumors from.

Shenmue Dojo news updates.

This, is actually a recent quote from Yuu Suzuki. I think we will see Shenmue III on Xbox 360 and/or PlayStation 3 someday in the future.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: