Author Topic: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
« on: September 14, 2016, 07:56:37 AM »
Since my preview is now live, I can reveal to y'all that I'm reviewing this title! With the game coming out this Friday, I wanted to go ahead and make a topic for it, as I'm sure a lot of you are going to pick it up. I'm interested in seeing what everyone has to say about it, especially those that played the original Dragon Warrior VII!

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:04:22 PM »
I'm gonna hold off because it's so dooby-damn long, but I will get it eventually.

100 hours is just a huge time-sink for me, but I guess the delays of other RPGs help in that regard. Hmm. Maybe I'll just pick it up next week!

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 01:10:43 PM »
I won't get it right away, but I eventually will.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 05:49:23 PM »
I've said it elsewhere in staffland, but I hated the Playstation original.  I found it dreadfully dull and laborious to play and it had a bargain basement localization.  Here, it sounds like this remake took this coal and made it a true diamond.
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 06:53:26 PM »
I've already preordered the game just so that I know that I'll have access to a version of it that I can feasibly beat (I can barely get my ancient PSX tech to run, let alone for the 200+ hours that'd take for me to beat this).

It'd also be nice to have a Class system that isn't simultaneously Completely Superfluous and Guide Dammit.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 03:15:21 AM »
I am very interested in this polished up remake.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 10:37:02 AM »
Yeah, from what I can tell, it's much more polished. I don't want to be hyperbolic or get anyone's hopes up, because maybe I'm wrong, but... I feel like this is one of the best localization jobs since Cold Steel. Like I said in my preview, every island (which have now expanded into continents!) has its own dialect and accent. And since you're playing vignettes, you really get to know a HUGE cast of characters that you only interact with for about 1-2 hours. You grow attached to them, then move on. The pacing is wonderful.

Also, @Dincrest: It seems that they removed a LOT of tedious puzzles. The whole thing is much more friendly. I would actually say this is a perfect JRPG for those new to the genre, or have maybe only played something more simple like Pokémon.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:38:37 AM by NickRansbottom »

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 02:12:01 PM »
While it doesn't seem to fix the main problem I had with the game(4 party slots, 5 characters meaning everyone but the two perma members fall behind in a game heavily about building up your characters) I'll probably cave and nab it.

Der Jermeister

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »
I liked the original game on the PlayStation, but it definitely didn't look like a game in development for half a decade.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 06:32:07 PM »
While it doesn't seem to fix the main problem I had with the game(4 party slots, 5 characters meaning everyone but the two perma members fall behind in a game heavily about building up your characters) I'll probably cave and nab it.

I wonder if there's a concession for that.  Like having non-active party members gain 1/2 to 3/4 of the EXP that actives do.  If that exists, it's better than nothing.
     -Peppermint Patty

Der Jermeister

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 06:41:16 PM »
Kind of a baffling design decision in the original version considering that its predecessors had a carriage system where even reserve members got experience even if not in the party.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 06:42:12 PM »

I wonder if there's a concession for that.  Like having non-active party members gain 1/2 to 3/4 of the EXP that actives do.  If that exists, it's better than nothing.

That'd actually make things worse since Class Level advancement only occurs on a battle to battle basis, and the battles that are allowed to count towards that are ones that are within your current level range. You level Maribel or Aria too high on the bench and they'll be slapping endgame/postgame enemies to have more than one Class mastered (and Aria starts with one Class mastered).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 07:38:04 PM »
Then my question would be whether adjustments were made to the game's job and class systems as a whole to alleviate the various headaches we're griping about.  Given that Nick appears to be having a grand and smooth experience with the game, I'm led to believe that significant tweaks were made to optimize the overall experience.  

I'll admit, though, that I'm not a big fan of job systems, because they often mean extra grinding for me- like levelling up new jobs/classes that start at level 1, farming for AP points or whatever, etc.
     -Peppermint Patty

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 07:48:19 PM »
In my experience with talking to people who have played the original, the required number of battles to level up a class have been SIGNIFICANTLY reduced, and when I first got my extra party member, though they weren't the same level as my other three characters, they stood their ground during attacks and hit with as much force as my leveled up characters. Now, they're only one level behind the others. So yeah, I think they definitely tweaked some balance issues.

Grinding also hasn't been a problem. After unlocking the class system and returning to the present, there's a big boss battle with four enemies, and that's the only time where I actually had to grind. And even then, I only needed an extra level. I may have to grind later in the game but I haven't had a problem with it so far at 27hrs in. Even for the class system, you mainly just battle every enemy you encounter to level your class up. I did grind a little to unlock two advanced vocations, but that's just because I wanted them a little early.

I didn't play the original, but this? This seems like a balanced game. And I'm kind of happy that my first experience with this entry is the 3DS remake for that reason.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 08:16:02 PM »
I've already preordered the game just so that I know that I'll have access to a version of it that I can feasibly beat (I can barely get my ancient PSX tech to run, let alone for the 200+ hours that'd take for me to beat this).

It'd also be nice to have a Class system that isn't simultaneously Completely Superfluous and Guide Dammit.

Preordered it for the same reason. I'm looking forward to it a lot, though. It the last one that I really felt needed a remake (Basically 8 & 9 were the only ones that felt like genuinely polished games the first time through), as well as the only DQ besides #2 that I don't like so far (I've yet to play DQ6, but at least I already have that).

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes