Author Topic: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 05:25:42 PM »
For those wanting to speed their way through and unlock the vocation system, here's an official Nintendo guide of the first 20 hrs. Although I will say, it only took me about 15-17hrs to do this.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »
Grabbed this earlier today, and it only took me 2 hours to get to the first fight. I can imagine the bug-fairy-ghost guy being a timesaver in the long run (rather than having to poke into every room to figure out which pedestal is the one that needs work on next), though I kinda miss having the puzzle dungeon for the Saints' Equipment. The rest of the 'time saving' only consisted of a few cut corners here and there (mostly in the form of a few scenes), though I expected as such since there's so much set up going on during that sequence (and so many annoying plot coupons that are given to you, only to get snatched away for the next 20~80 hours).

Anyways, I feel that the Color Rainbow Mines are a little easier than they were in the PSX version. Still disappointing that I totally blew by having Matilda Maeve in the party once again (she really isn't all that helpful since she's only around until you make it to Rexwood Ballyhollom). Also kinda balking at giving Kiefer's sister Lisa Lisette a lisp (mostly because its a terrible, awful, no-good, very-bad pun). No idea why they changed King Burns name with King Donald other than Mr. Burns => Donald Trump (but that's kind of a stretch). At least the MC's Father and Uncle have punnish names now.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2016, 08:56:29 PM »
I have SUPER mixed feelings about how long it takes to get to the first fight. According to my notes, it took me around two hours as well. On one hand, it does end up making the payoff worth it in the long run, as the story gradually becomes more grand in scale. On the other hand, there's not much to the characters at that time, and it's not exactly compelling.

I'm all for slow burns if they're done correctly. I'm still debating with myself as to whether or not I think Fragments did so.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 10:29:22 PM »
Kingdom Hearts II was similar in that regards, as well.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 12:12:11 AM »
Anyways, I feel that the Color Rainbow Mines are a little easier than they were in the PSX version.

I was kinda disappointed with Robot Hell. Though I'm not sure if it was that they nerfed it or that the game forced me to powerlevel against my will. There's a LOT of enemies in the two dungeons before it and narrow corridors makes it so you won't be getting around most of them.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 03:28:02 AM »
I don't get the point of visible enemies when they respawn right in front of the party, turning the encounter unavoidable. I don't remember it being like this in IX. They could've made things more dynamic by implementing preemptive attacks, similar to how it worked in Persona 3/4.

There are other minor annoyances, like the lack of cursor memory (swear the DS remakes had it) or battles being in 3rd view, slowing the pace of combat down. A toggle to turn the animations off would've been perfect.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »
I don't get the point of visible enemies when they respawn right in front of the party, turning the encounter unavoidable. I don't remember it being like this in IX. They could've made things more dynamic by implementing preemptive attacks, similar to how it worked in Persona 3/4.

There are other minor annoyances, like the lack of cursor memory (swear the DS remakes had it) or battles being in 3rd view, slowing the pace of combat down. A toggle to turn the animations off would've been perfect.

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.

Yeah, I've been noticing the lack of some of the more usual quality of life implementations that DQ games typically have. Cursor Memory being the biggest one, especially due to the absolute shittonne of spells and abilities you can learn (and Kiefer learns Flame Slash right off the bat and that's just a straight up free damage upgrade for him), but also no message speed adjustments and the zoomed in camera makes some things harder to see than they need to be (and some scenes just don't quite work as well as before).

The biggest travesty of all though was making bottles unbreakable (you could smash quite a bit in the PSX version, including all of Pike's leftover bottles of "Tea" (also, lol at Party Chat calling out "Tea")). I've also noticed they've throttled back on the number of findable items during the opening (you could be practically kitted out by the first fight, but there seems to be a dearth of Pot Lids now). Also some of the findable items have been shoved into the occasional overworld Chest which is ehh since you can pretty much avoid most overworld encounters (I suppose it'll be more interesting once I get to some of the larger islands/continents).

I have SUPER mixed feelings about how long it takes to get to the first fight. According to my notes, it took me around two hours as well. On one hand, it does end up making the payoff worth it in the long run, as the story gradually becomes more grand in scale. On the other hand, there's not much to the characters at that time, and it's not exactly compelling.

I'm all for slow burns if they're done correctly. I'm still debating with myself as to whether or not I think Fragments did so.

Yeah, there's a good reason why people complained about the opening's length back with the PSX version. The portability of the 3DS is really the biggest reason to get this version at this point (hopefully they've made Immigrant Town less awful to complete this time).

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2016, 01:18:38 PM »
Kingdom Hearts II was similar in that regards, as well.
[war flashbacks]

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 04:33:41 PM »
EarthBound and Mother 3 to me are the gold standards of visible battles in terms of skippability if your party's strong enough.

codeforger

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2016, 11:54:53 PM »
No idea why they changed King Burns name with King Donald other than Mr. Burns => Donald Trump (but that's kind of a stretch). At least the MC's Father and Uncle have punnish names now.

So there's Prince Kiefer and King Donald.  Kiefer Sutherland's father is Donald Sutherland.  Coincidence?

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the spookiest driest boy
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 02:08:42 AM »
He was King Burns on ps1 so probably intentional.

Welcome!

Dassem Ultor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2016, 04:55:18 AM »
Hard to believe this game originally came out in 2000 in the states...it was so dated visually. (the DC was basically almost dead with Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia out when this was released lol)  I had bought it...but was never able to get into it...the same way I was never able to get into DQ8...Dragon Quest's style of rpg's has just never really appealed to me...I like my rpg's story driven.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2016, 06:58:53 AM »
Hard to believe this game originally came out in 2000 in the states...it was so dated visually. (the DC was basically almost dead with Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia out when this was released lol)  I had bought it...but was never able to get into it...the same way I was never able to get into DQ8...Dragon Quest's style of rpg's has just never really appealed to me...I like my rpg's story driven.

Yeah, not even Fire Emblem 5 was as dated looking as DW7 was when it came out in Japan that same year, and that game at least had the excuse of being a Super Famicom game.

No idea why they changed King Burns name with King Donald other than Mr. Burns => Donald Trump (but that's kind of a stretch). At least the MC's Father and Uncle have punnish names now.

So there's Prince Kiefer and King Donald.  Kiefer Sutherland's father is Donald Sutherland.  Coincidence?

Yeah, that'd do it.

Anyways, I feel that the Color Rainbow Mines are a little easier than they were in the PSX version.

I was kinda disappointed with Robot Hell. Though I'm not sure if it was that they nerfed it or that the game forced me to powerlevel against my will. There's a LOT of enemies in the two dungeons before it and narrow corridors makes it so you won't be getting around most of them.

I'm far more disappointed in Dialac Regeniton (or however its spelled) to the point of dread for the quality of the rest of the game. I know that there were sequences in the PSX version that dragged on longer than they should've, but Jesus Christ, this was not one of them.

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2016, 11:53:55 AM »
I think once you get to the continent where you get involved in the war of the automatons, it really picks up. That sequence is about 2hrs because it continues into the present, and I really loved it. It was melodramatic as hell but I ate it up because it was the first "meaty" piece of story content. That's the moment where I was like, "Okay, this game is something special to me, especially in the way it's telling its stories." I definitely can understand some frustrations, and though I'm still addicted to the game even at the halfway point, I wouldn't say it's perfect.

For those who have unlocked the vocation system, what do you have in your party? Or, what do you plan to have in your party when you do unlock it? Right now I have a Pirate, an Armamentalist, and a Monster Masher.

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2016, 01:30:59 PM »
MC as Hero.

Maribel: Mage -> Priest -> Sage

Ruff: Theif -> Sailor -> Monster Masher -> Pirate

Aira: Warrior -> Mage -> Armamentalist