Author Topic: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past

DPB

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2016, 07:00:59 PM »
It comes from gamefaq's so i'm not sure how legit it is, but people have been talking about some slowdown with this game. Though not at the level of fft war of the lions for psp but some. How true (or not) is this?

The menus are somewhat sluggish and the text window appears to slow down everything. This seems to be unique to the English version, watching videos of the Japanese version it's much more smooth and responsive. I'm using the Tactics AI for my party a lot more than previous games, since the menus feel really slow in comparison.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2016, 09:10:21 PM »
Dragon Quest VIII had a bit of slowdown as well, from what I recall.

PaleRobbie

• Podcast Host
  • Administrator
  • Fear the old blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2016, 09:33:47 AM »
I thought it was just me when it came to the menus.  I used the suggestion of turning 3D to weak and that seems to help a bit, but there's a slight delay to almost every action.  Really weird. 

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
So does anybody know why the hell I can't turn in any more Enclosure Plans and upgrade my Monster Meadows (I turned in the first one and I haven't gotten anything from the curator outside of either repeating either his introductory message or the 'now that I have these plans we can expand' statement with nothing happening)?

I ask as someone who's already beaten Orgodemir the first time and didn't get Nottagen permanently blown up.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2016, 10:43:15 AM »
Oh when everyone was talking about DQ VII I assumed they were talking about the one of the PS1.
Is this one based one the PS1 version? I didn't finish that.

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
Yup! It's a complete remake, but they trimmed a lot of the fat.

@Aeolus, I think you need to progress further in the story. Have you done the vignette with Wiggles? If not, you should be able to do it then. If you have... then I have no idea. D:

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »
Yup! It's a complete remake, but they trimmed a lot of the fat.

@Aeolus, I think you need to progress further in the story. Have you done the vignette with Wiggles? If not, you should be able to do it then. If you have... then I have no idea. D:

Code: [Select]
Orgodemir is the name of the Demon Lord; ergo, I'm well past Nottagen and the Legend of Sir Wiggles.
I've gotten the Monster Meadows' caretaker to appear, but after accepting the first Enclosure Plan, he's either given me his introduction speech or his "I haff da plans." spiel and I'm still stuck with only the Grasslands and can't move any monsters into any barns (thankfully, I can still set monsters to work at finding tablets, which is the important part).

Also, I'd hesitate to say that SE trimmed any fat in regards to the remake.

DPB

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2016, 05:32:26 PM »

The intro is somewhat shortened (not necessarily for the better) and it takes fewer battles to master classes now though.

What I think the series really needs for the next game is a UI update. Some actions still feel really cumbersome and straight out of the 80s, like moving items between your characters and having to slowly buy and sell items one at a time. Even saving the game is a long and tedious process with far too many yes/no prompts. They could even make it optional, have a basic mode which cuts down on the prompts and all the redundant messages like "Maribel placed the Medicinal Herb in the bag" and a verbose mode for curmudgeon purists. Of course, the text slowdown in this version only exacerbates these annoyances.

Der Jermeister

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2016, 05:48:17 PM »

The intro is somewhat shortened (not necessarily for the better) and it takes fewer battles to master classes now though.

What I think the series really needs for the next game is a UI update. Some actions still feel really cumbersome and straight out of the 80s, like moving items between your characters and having to slowly buy and sell items one at a time. Even saving the game is a long and tedious process with far too many yes/no prompts. They could even make it optional, have a basic mode which cuts down on the prompts and all the redundant messages like "Maribel placed the Medicinal Herb in the bag" and a verbose mode for curmudgeon purists. Of course, the text slowdown in this version only exacerbates these annoyances.
Yeah, no excuse for that crap in this current generation of RPGs. Reviewers in both Japan and America need to be more vocal about things like that or otherwise the developers will continue to repeat them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:50:25 PM by Der Jermeister »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:35 PM »

The problem is that now Intermediate and Advanced Classes no longer teach you their Skills/Spells (Monster Classes do but Monster Classes in general were largely untouched beyond making Hearts less obnoxious to grind for), which only serves to make Monster Classes more appealing than they originally were (the fact that even with the quick Class leveling rate, my MC is still trudging through Champion right as I'm about to start the final dungeon). In short, it really didn't solve the initial problem of DQVII having a really fucking shitty ass Class System to begin with.

And now that I know that Monster Meadows is bugged for me, I feel like the only improvements made to DQVII 3DS is the fact that its on a portable system and that it made completing Immigrate Town less awful (and only barely since the price is pretty fucking high). Everything else was either a poorly conceived change made for the sake of change, or was met with a new issue resulting directly from said change.

A list for effort:
Shorter Opening = Cutting a puzzle dungeon in favor of repeating a boring sequence 4 times to save 15 minutes on a 2 hour opening.
Easier to Master Classes = Pick a Class Tree and Pray.
Immigrate Town Easier to Complete and Earlier Access to Recruiting Monsters = Regenstine getting 'the chops' and a now worthless sidequest due to a bug (also expect Immigrate Town to become even less completable than the PSX version once the 3DS's Wi-Fi dies).
Localization Changes = No In-Battle Party Talk and for every good pun, there was a clunky name replacing something better written.
Graphics Less Fugly = Permanent Zoom and longer Battle Times with Graphical Glitches to boot (though nothing as bad as Lufia: Ruins of Lore...yet).
On-Field Encounters = Near Zero Encounter Rates on the field, Double Encounter Rates inside cramped dungeons.
Easier to Obtain Monster Hearts = Most Treasures are now flat out gone for the sake of one treasure on a field per region per period and Monster Classes are still unchanged and largely worthless until Advanced tier.
Being able to Depart Wetlock Region during Flood = Okay, this one's also an improvement, but it came at the cost of one of the Dungeon Gimmicks (which in turn came from getting rid of interactive kibble like bottles and treasure sacks which stacks over the course of the game).
Better Hardware = Glitchier Software.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2016, 02:31:36 AM »
The problem is that now Intermediate and Advanced Classes no longer teach you their Skills/Spells (Monster Classes do but Monster Classes in general were largely untouched beyond making Hearts less obnoxious to grind for), which only serves to make Monster Classes more appealing than they originally were (the fact that even with the quick Class leveling rate, my MC is still trudging through Champion right as I'm about to start the final dungeon). In short, it really didn't solve the initial problem of DQVII having a really fucking shitty ass Class System to begin with.
I'm not going to address your other complaints, because I feel they are mostly legitimate, or at least observable despite my not always agreeing.  But I think the class system is better this way: those final classes balance out lacking inherited intermediate skills by giving you a TON of them for free. Hero learns the final skills of the Pirate and Monster Masher classes in its second or third tier; all three final classes learn Kazing and two learn Multiheal; both Champion and Druid learn the most important skills of their two predecessor classes. 

I think the developers wanted to make the class system less time-intensive without breaking it wide open.  So it shortens the time required to level up each class, and then removes inherited intermediate and advanced skills so players can't make four Druids that know every Champion and Hero skill and cast Blade of Ultimate Power at reduced MP every fight.  For players that WANT permanently inherited skills in those tiers, monster classes are available.  Square-Enix made some choices and compromised some parts of the PS1 version's gameplay in this version (I agree the cuts to the Regenstein dialog sequences were for the worse), but it was important to make the 3DS version feel faster, which they succeeded in doing. 

and unrelated: I finished the two bonus dungeons earlier tonight.  The first one had a great boss encounter, the second one had a disappointingly easy boss encounter. 

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2016, 07:19:36 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEgQgl6ebH8

Wow I guess I should maybe get DQ8 eh..
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Der Jermeister

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2016, 10:02:16 PM »
I hear that Morrie is only available to recruit after beating the main game. I think Red joins about halfway through the game, though.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2016, 11:26:32 PM »
I hear that Morrie is only available to recruit after beating the main game. I think Red joins about halfway through the game, though.

The problem is, why would anybody actually care? OG DQVIII was perfectly playable in its original incarnation and the OG party are very well balanced.

Also, IIRC the new characters don't actually offer any new particular skills or skill sets.