Author Topic: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2016, 08:42:49 PM »
My favorite island quests were probably Alltrades (formerly Dharma) and Buccanham (formerly Coastal). I still haven't 100% resolved the Buccanham story in the present-day, but I hope I do soon. Sharkeye is probably my favorite NPC, haha,

A gamblin' man I see.

Also, you should like Sharkeye...
Code: [Select]
...he is your dad after all.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »
Aeolus, since you already have Thief for Ruff, I REALLY recommend Monster Masher for him! I don't think I'm having him switch classes at all... it's such a handy class.

I made the mc a monster masher...then I got really sad when I heard that if you make Ruff a mm the wolf does the breathe attacks.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2016, 10:16:16 AM »
Aeolus, since you already have Thief for Ruff, I REALLY recommend Monster Masher for him! I don't think I'm having him switch classes at all... it's such a handy class.

I made the mc a monster masher...then I got really sad when I heard that if you make Ruff a mm the wolf does the breathe attacks.

You should make Ruff a Shepard at the very least just to have the wolf in sheep's clothing.

NickRansbottom

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »

You should make Ruff a Shepard at the very least just to have the wolf in sheep's clothing.
It's sooo cute. Also, yeah, the breath attacks are great. They're a little OP though... Scorch does 110-150 damage, so I can wipe out entire encounters in one move. But considering how much I'm grinding for Mervyn's vocations (he's just become a Luminary), it's coming in handy. :P

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »
Hero also learns Scorch,  if you want to see the animation for a breath attack without using a monster class or Monster Masher.  It's probably the best screen clearing attack that costs zero MP. Better than Thin Air, which is very good but deals less damage and a type (wind) which is resisted by more enemies.

One bummer is that I'm not sure human characters can learn the ice version of Scorch.  I'd have to check a list of skills learned by monster classes, but I think that skill is enemies–only.

EDIT: okay it looks like you CAN learn the ice version of Scorch,  but it comes from Galumph, one of the most advanced monster classes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:54:05 AM by Monsoon »

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2016, 02:19:50 AM »
Oh man this story is so bad. I feel like I'm missing some key scenes or something. At no point did they establish whey they are collecting these tablets. They just keep doing it because of nothing lol.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2016, 06:00:14 AM »
Oh man this story is so bad. I feel like I'm missing some key scenes or something. At no point did they establish whey they are collecting these tablets. They just keep doing it because of nothing lol.

How hard is it to go from "Sure everything's peaceful and all, but it sure does suck that the world population is 20." to "Hey guys, we found a bunch of rocks and put them together in this ancient forbidden temple, and we got to see a new place and kicked some ass and now that new place is open to us back in our time. Let's do it again!" to "Boy, it sure is strange how all these different islands were sealed away and met their doom for one reason or another, I really wonder why we were the only ones spared?"?

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2016, 12:58:09 PM »

How hard is it to go from "Sure everything's peaceful and all, but it sure does suck that the world population is 20." to "Hey guys, we found a bunch of rocks and put them together in this ancient forbidden temple, and we got to see a new place and kicked some ass and now that new place is open to us back in our time. Let's do it again!" to "Boy, it sure is strange how all these different islands were sealed away and met their doom for one reason or another, I really wonder why we were the only ones spared?"?

Exactly. The game doesn't need to spell everything out for you. 'Show, don't tell' exists for a reason.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »
I'm in the postgame dungeon now, about to plan how to farm the boss.  You get special prizes for beating the boss in under 20 turns, which I barely did on the first try.  Just need to plan out jobs a bit better (maybe 3 Champions and 1 Hero?). 

And I sort of agree that there isn't much thrust to the plot for the first half of the game, other than "these children want to explore the world beyond their tiny island and rescue the residents of other islands from horrible fates."  There doesn't seem to be a more persistent theme for the first third of the game or so.  However, as you build more of the world and learn more about it, an endgame begins to take shape.  By the 2/3 mark, the stakes of the plot are raised significantly. 

I liked Dragon Quest VII the more I played it, and it ends up as a very solid RPG.  I don't think I like it as much as V or VIII, but it's definitely in my personal Dragon Quest top five.  After I mess around in the postgame a bit, I'll finally move on to something else. 

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2016, 03:58:19 PM »
I'm in the postgame dungeon now, about to plan how to farm the boss.  You get special prizes for beating the boss in under 20 turns, which I barely did on the first try.  Just need to plan out jobs a bit better (maybe 3 Champions and 1 Hero?).  

And I sort of agree that there isn't much thrust to the plot for the first half of the game, other than "these children want to explore the world beyond their tiny island and rescue the residents of other islands from horrible fates."  There doesn't seem to be a more persistent theme for the first third of the game or so.  However, as you build more of the world and learn more about it, an endgame begins to take shape.  By the 2/3 mark, the stakes of the plot are raised significantly.  

I liked Dragon Quest VII the more I played it, and it ends up as a very solid RPG.  I don't think I like it as much as V or VIII, but it's definitely in my personal Dragon Quest top five.  After I mess around in the postgame a bit, I'll finally move on to something else.  

That's the thing about DQ games, you're not in it for the main plot, you're in it for the set pieces you encounter along the way. Which is why I'm still peeved about Regenstein getting hacked down like that. Its where the game highlights the message "Do what you can to make things better, but don't expect to save everybody.", which the game does an excellent job following through on.

That said, I'll accept the change from 'World Ranking Association' to the 'Excellence Grading Organization', the pun is too good.

That One Boss Edit: Gracos status: Still shitty. Wetlock region status: Not shitty.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:10:24 PM by Aeolus »

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2016, 10:31:01 PM »
I'm still struggling against the first bonus dungeon's boss.  My Hero is at level 47.  I may just stop playing for awhile and revisit it later.  Too many games in my queue.  But I definitely enjoyed the main game, and eventually feel inclined to challenge this mofo again.  Just... maybe not for another month or so. 

Limlight

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2016, 10:08:43 AM »
It comes from gamefaq's so i'm not sure how legit it is, but people have been talking about some slowdown with this game. Though not at the level of fft war of the lions for psp but some. How true (or not) is this?

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2016, 06:52:52 PM »
It comes from gamefaq's so i'm not sure how legit it is, but people have been talking about some slowdown with this game. Though not at the level of fft war of the lions for psp but some. How true (or not) is this?

Its true, but you won't really notice it unless you've been boning up on your Dragon Quest games before diving into this one. Or at least, that's how my cartridge based experience has been.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »
Turning the world map camera to the second option and battle to weak 3d(Regardless if you use 3d or not) get rid of the majority of slowdown. Not completely, but most of it.

NickRansbottom

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »
Turning the world map camera to the second option and battle to weak 3d(Regardless if you use 3d or not) get rid of the majority of slowdown. Not completely, but most of it.
Testing this out. Will note this in my review (which is coming soon, I promise!).