Author Topic: Western cRPG revival

Sneaky_Seal

• Community manager for Ash of Gods
  • Kostroma people
    • View Profile
    • AurumDust - inde game developer
Western cRPG revival
« on: October 16, 2016, 05:54:36 PM »
I guess we can say we're living in the era of western cRPG revival with both great indie and AAA games coming out more often (sometimes more often than I can play them).

There are some that are widely acknowledged (like Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity) and some overseen gems (like Underrail). And many are coming (I'm very excited about an upcoming title Masquerada: Songs and Shadows - check it out if you haven't done so yet).

Why do you think is it happening?

I have two reasons for it:

• Crowdsoursing allows developers to gain instant feedback and funding for the project
  • The audience that grew up on old-school cRPGs (BG, Icewind Dale) are in their peak purchasing power now which creates a large enough market niche

Would you agree with my reasons? Or maybe do you think there is something else going on here?
Member of the team working on Ash of Gods - a story driven tactical RPG with card game elements. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Western cRPG revival
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 08:18:40 PM »
And to footnote on your second point, the majority of up-and-coming developers are people our age who grew up with games like that and are trying to re-stoke that sense of wonderment from their/our childhoods. 

So, yeah, it's not just our age bracket buying the stuff, but our age bracket also making the stuff.
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:25:19 PM »
I've never been a big fan of western RPGs, but I will say that a lot of promising games have come out of this recent nostalgia binge than I expected. A lot more attention to the writing and making the gameplay fun without going full-on action-RPG, and WRPGs in general are finally starting to understand that an open-world needs more than just random monsters and fetch quests in order to be interesting.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Sneaky_Seal

• Community manager for Ash of Gods
  • Kostroma people
    • View Profile
    • AurumDust - inde game developer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 06:46:28 PM »
And to footnote on your second point, the majority of up-and-coming developers are people our age who grew up with games like that and are trying to re-stoke that sense of wonderment from their/our childhoods. 

So, yeah, it's not just our age bracket buying the stuff, but our age bracket also making the stuff.

I wonder if there is a cycle to it - the guys that worked on those old-school PRGs probably grew up on some older ones (maybe pen and paper) and so on.
Member of the team working on Ash of Gods - a story driven tactical RPG with card game elements. Feel free to ask me anything.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:17:38 AM »
Honestly, it seems more like a lot of these have some of the old devs attached to them. Not all, but certainly the most prominent.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes