Author Topic: Humble Bundle

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
Humble Bundle
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:22:30 AM »
So new humble bundle just got upped and the highlights(at least for me) are Chroma Squad, Spaera and Assault Cactus Android. Even just those 3 games for (as of right now) 4 bucks is quite a steal.

Spaera is something in the vein of puzzle fighter or tetris attack, saw a demonstration of it at some fighting game tournament awhile back. It's got interesting ideas with unique character abilities and its not your standard tetris physics which takes some getting used to. It is still in early access so, the usual stuff applies. Also, this game doesn't seem to have an in-game tutorial tutorial, I had to go to their website to learn the game systems which is quite a big misstep I think

Assault Cactus Android seems a pretty solid top down twin stick style shooter. It also boasts 1-4 player local co-op which I am not sure how that works on pc, I guess if you have that many usb ports you can plug in that many controllers.

Streamed some Chroma Squad earlier. A very competent SRPG thus far, it really makes use of the sentai theme. So far, I'm most impressed by them sneaking in some Backstreet boys lyrics in the tutorial.

Not sure where I'm taking this thread but hoping maybe people can share their opinions on whether each humble bundle is worth it. Most of them are however, the price to content ratio is usually just too good. Maybe an opinion of what games are worth your time in each bundle?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:27:57 AM by kofvscapcom »
Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Bundle
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 09:38:13 AM »
Humble Bundles make me wish I was more of a master race guy.  I'm just not comfortable enough with playing most games with a mouse and keyboard to spend any money on it.  It's really a shame the steam machine (and the portable steam machine) didn't pan out.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:49:58 AM »
^ Just like anything, it just takes some getting used to. Most modern PC games have the option to play with a controller, anyway. I play lots of games on my PC, and rarely do I actually use the mouse & keyboard combo.

On the subject of humble bundles, I've been intrigued by some in the past, but have never taken the plunge. GOG and Steam sales keep me satiated enough. My PC backlog is crowded enough as it is, anyway.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 11:28:07 AM »
Humble Bundles make me wish I was more of a master race guy.  I'm just not comfortable enough with playing most games with a mouse and keyboard to spend any money on it.  It's really a shame the steam machine (and the portable steam machine) didn't pan out.

a surprising amount of pc games are controller compatible these days. My brother uses an xbone controller and its just plug and play. Using a ps4 controller on pc requires jumping through some more hoops but I hear they are going to make a device for that soon(or you can just use DS4Windows but that's kind of janky right now)

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
I use a wired Xbox 360 controller all the time. If I really want the console experience, I'll hook my laptop up to the tv. However, my lovely laptop is a lovely piece shit - I can't play anything fancy. The Banner Saga, Evoland 2, that sort of stuff is pretty much its limit. (I bring shame to the PC Master Race and I love it.) That's one of the reasons I don't bother with bundles. More often than not there are games in there I can't play. The other reason is that I can't use the payment options (at the moment). Steam accepts iDEAL, so... yay!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 12:40:35 PM »
In my experience, less than half the games I've downloaded from steam let me use my 360 controller.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »

a surprising amount of pc games are controller compatible these days. My brother uses an xbone controller and its just plug and play. Using a ps4 controller on pc requires jumping through some more hoops but I hear they are going to make a device for that soon(or you can just use DS4Windows but that's kind of janky right now)

lol this is a big understatement. It is an absolute nightmare to get a DS4 controller working on Windows. That being said, it's surprisingly really easy to get DS3 and DS4 working on a Mac.

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 08:32:30 PM »

lol this is a big understatement. It is an absolute nightmare to get a DS4 controller working on Windows. That being said, it's surprisingly really easy to get DS3 and DS4 working on a Mac.

I think steam has been trying to work on that recently, my DS4 has been working perfectly fine with both Assault Android and Enter the Gungeon(admittedly that is a small sample size). What games does it not work for?

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 05:22:16 AM »
DS4Win has an X-Input toggle that should fix certain compatibility issues, but I've played many games where L2 and R2 aren't recognized for some bizarre reason.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
This is the first Humble Bundle where I genuinely felt that the bottom teir were the only ones worth owning. Which I'm not complaining about, mind. Just saying, Chroma Squad, Technobabylon, and Oedellus were quite easily some of the best they could've given out, and since the rest didn't appeal to me, I can give them my $3 with a smile. =)  =P

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 06:36:26 PM »
If you didn't get the current games in Humble monthlies or previous Humbles the current Humble Dev day of the devs bundle is A steal at its current average of 4.27
https://www.humblebundle.com/day-of-the-devs-2016

I have personally been using Humble for over A year now, and have gotten many games I otherwise  would not just by the sheer savings that can be had on some of these bundles.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 06:37:58 PM by Chronix112 »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 08:12:25 PM »
Honestly, that's probably because the best stuff is on the lowest tier there as well, and have been featured in numerous sales and bundles by now...but then again, I don't think any of those games look truly interesting, so I might not be the best judge on that.

EDIT: ...oh hey, I own most them already...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:22:57 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

kofvscapcom

• Rereveagence
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 02:42:34 PM »
new humble bundle out, the theme is tycoon simulators. The 2 that seem interesting are Big Pharma and Democracy 3(topical!). Time to give them a whirl before my copy of FF 15 comes and the Hex update next week.

edit=Decembers bundle is pay 30 dollars or more and get 31 games essentially, they're revealing one every day. Nothing too great right now other than guns of icarus if you have friends to play that with.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:42:40 PM by kofvscapcom »

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
new humble bundle out, the theme is tycoon simulators. The 2 that seem interesting are Big Pharma and Democracy 3(topical!). Time to give them a whirl before my copy of FF 15 comes and the Hex update next week.

edit=Decembers bundle is pay 30 dollars or more and get 31 games essentially, they're revealing one every day. Nothing too great right now other than guns of icarus if you have friends to play that with.
New $30 bundle is underwhelming so far and needs more quality before it is worth for that $30 price tag.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »
Humble bundles generally are a bit underwhelming these days. Probably just because there's so many more of them - there certainly still are some really good ones every now and then.