Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 (Path of Fire comes out 9/22)

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Guild Wars 2 (Path of Fire comes out 9/22)
« on: September 06, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
Well I make too many of these threads here in my opinion but that's because every game I'm playing I can't say I'm sticking with... something about each one has turned me off. Heroes of the Storm is just too stupid overall, WoW is too old and unable to keep pace with modern times, Black Desert Online doesn't have good combat, Star Trek Online stops being good after the first handful of chapters, and there's no way I'm ever playing either Destiny 1 or 2 because they just take way too long to get behind.

Which leaves.

Guild Wars! Still failing to disappoint me, I guess, somehow, with a combination of several factors. The first being that there is a lot of gameplay variety, and the second being that it's as polished as any MMO, with pretty cool looking environments and stuff.

So as a consequence that's now one of MP games of choice alongside FFXIV..

And here we are, the new trailer for the next expansion, and website with the info and such...

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/path-of-fire/

All right well I'm back to Tyria..

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Wars 2 (Path of Fire comes out 9/22)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »
Yeah Guild Wars 2 is easily my favorite MMO.  I love FF14 but man sometimes it lacks in the content department.  Def playing a  lot of PoF when it releases next Friday.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:45:46 AM by ScottC »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »
Yeah Guild Wars 2 is easily my favorite MMO.  I love FF14 but man sometimes it lacks in the content department.  Def playing a  lot of PoF when it releases next Friday.

Yeah, FF14 was a blast, but I'm no longer a subscriber, and I'll probably hold off until a the next expansion or two. Never tried Guild Wars (first or second), is Path of Fire the first expansion?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 10:43:33 PM »
Second expansion, first was something of Thorns or whatever. It's a fantastic game if you like freedom and variety of content, but the combat can be a bit tough at times, very action-oriented.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 12:56:39 AM »
Second expansion, first was something of Thorns or whatever. It's a fantastic game if you like freedom and variety of content, but the combat can be a bit tough at times, very action-oriented.

You're speaking my language. I'll have to give it a look, then.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 12:43:49 PM »
Oh yeah... this thread... yeah I'm playing this.

Although it's going to be awhile before I form a more concrete impression. I might even put my tag here at some point and maybe we can play some together.............. maybe........

But yeah I'm a weaver, maybe I'll get a pic on imgur and over here..
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 02:21:31 PM »
And it's still going...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 02:28:40 PM by Artimicia »

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »
I'll be streaming Path of Fire tomorrow for the site which includes a few GW2 cash shop item giveaways.  So if you want a chance at winning free stuff hop on by.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 05:16:02 PM »
I'll be streaming Path of Fire tomorrow for the site which includes a few GW2 cash shop item giveaways.  So if you want a chance at winning free stuff hop on by.

I'm always up for free stuff. Will they only be for Path of Fire, though? Or are we talking more general stuff that'll apply to the base game as well?

...you know what, I'll watch it anyways. I did need to research this game, after all.

EDIT: Aaand I did. Looks pretty damn cool. I'll download the base game tonight, though even if I really get into it, I'll have to hold off from the expansions until there's some sort of bundled deal or sale. It sounds like there's plenty to it already, and those gliders and mounts look like something that'll make late-game stuff easier, but could easily spoil me in the early game, anyways.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:57:08 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

D-Rider

• Former God of RPGFan
  • Rainbow Club Member
  • Giant Paraplegic Cock
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 10:54:41 PM »
For anyone else that might have gotten off the GW2 train with the hot mess that was Heart of Thorns, let me make it clear just how much better Path of Fire is in comparison.  Mob density has been cut back to a scale comparable to the original (i.e not stuffed with fifty mobs per square inch), the mounts are a great addition that fits in seamlessly with the rest of the game mechanics, the voice acting is incredibly on point (even the PC norn female!), and the zones are well put together and unique from one another instead of being similar tangled, spiraling messes of garbage design.  I approve, and I normally hate everything.  I'm just having trouble deciding if I like it as much as I do because there was nowhere else to go but up or if it's legitimately great.  Get back with me in a month and I'll know for sure.

The third season of the living story is pretty good as well.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »
since playing ff14 i have a hard time playing any mmo that doesnt have controller support. just never been comfortable with the mouse and kb setup.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »
I am glad you enjoyed it Mickey, it's a fun game.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 11:01:08 PM »
since playing ff14 i have a hard time playing any mmo that doesnt have controller support. just never been comfortable with the mouse and kb setup.

Same, for the most part. Honestly, I'm looking forward to Tera for the PS4, just for that reason alone.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes