Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 06:48:45 AM »
Chrono Cross is definitely a game I'd like to see an HD remake of.  And that remake needs to include some unused battle music that got left on the cutting room floor (if any), because the battle music in the game was weak.  The unused Chrono Trigger battle theme was fantastic, so I'm glad they used it in the DS remake's arena. 

I said it often in my playlog, but once I started thinking about Chrono Cross being more about the world than the characters, I enjoyed it more.  The world was this vibrant and developing entity.  And I liked this article too about the beautiful melancholy of Cross.  http://kotaku.com/5889433/the-beautifully-melancholy-chrono-cross-was-unfairly-overlooked

It also intrigued me in how Trigger was themed around actions but Cross was themed around consequences. 

I used this analogy in my playlog: Trigger is like dating a really awesome girl and Cross is like dating her cousin or something who's really awesome in a whole bunch of different ways. 
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 05:10:00 PM »
Chrono Cross would have definitely benefited from epilogues for all the characters a la the Suikoden games. I'm not sure what to think of Cross since it's been ages since I've played it, but I think it more a gaiden game than true sequel.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 06:33:37 PM »
Quoth Masato Kato when the game came out:

Since I may never have the chance to say this kind of thing anywhere else... I'll go ahead and say it. After the announcement of "Cross" this time, I heard a lot of voices out there that were saying things like, "Man, this isn't CHRONO". To tell you the truth, I was gravely disappointed. Yes, the platform changed; and yes, there were many parts that changed dramatically from the previous work. But in my view, the whole point in making Chrono Cross was to make a new Chrono with the best available skills and technologies of today. I never had any intentions of just taking the system from Trigger and moving it onto the PlayStation console. That's why I believe that Cross is Cross, and NOT Trigger 2. The thing that I can't understand is how could people possibly declare that this isn't Chrono? And for these people, I can't help but wonder what it was that Chrono meant to them...? Is it possible that none of the messages that I tried to send out to these people never really got through to them?

Cross is undoubtedly the highest quality Chrono that we can create right now. (I won't say the "best" Chrono, but) If you can't accept that, then I'm sorry to say this but I guess your Chrono and my Chrono have taken totally different paths. But I would like to say, thank you for falling in love with Trigger so much.

WeinCruz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 06:26:13 PM »
Gotta agree with some of the posts here.  Even though I think Chrono Trigger is an excellent game in its own right, and especially for its time, it's a real shame Chrono Cross gets all the crap it does for not simply being Chrono Trigger 2.  Chrono Cross may be rough around the edges, but I think all the things that it does do well, such as its soundtrack, setting, and overall plot, it outshines Trigger by a considerable margin.  I'd replay it if my PS2 wasn't acting up. 

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 10:53:26 PM »
I think the plot really dragged when
Spoiler: show
Serge temporarily becomes Lynx
and that the revelation
Lynx is Serge's father
really seemed tacked on at the end.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 11:37:36 PM »

Gotta agree with you there. That really wasn't nearly as impactful as I assume the designers wanted it to be. Doesn't help that L isn't a fun character to play as. I couldn't have been more relieved when he
changed back into Serge.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2016, 12:23:42 AM »

Gotta agree with you there. That really wasn't nearly as impactful as I assume the designers wanted it to be. Doesn't help that L isn't a fun character to play as. I couldn't have been more relieved when he
changed back into Serge.

I blame the nature of a silent protagonist.  You kinda just get shuffled off to the next destination, no one fears you, no one really cares.  You get the cold shoulder from a few, but a few pieces of dialogue that "it's actually Serge!" seems to rectify it and Kid is the only one struggling with it.

There's a few games that have sort of tacked on spoilers poorly.

I think some of the stuff in Xenoblade counts.
I honestly don't think I cared for the game's C-plot surround High Entia affairs...  Hell, even the Earth stuff doesn't matter much given how little sense it makes (but it does make for some crazy cool and unexpected end-game scenery)

Oh lord also some character-related FFXV spoilers:
Prompto being a Magitek Knight or whatever...totally out of nowhere, almost completely pointless, and built up for suspense for the main party to simply go "whatev', you're you, you're our guy".
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2016, 01:30:56 AM »

changed back into Serge.

I blame the nature of a silent protagonist.  You kinda just get shuffled off to the next destination, no one fears you, no one really cares.  You get the cold shoulder from a few, but a few pieces of dialogue that "it's actually Serge!" seems to rectify it and Kid is the only one struggling with it.

There's a few games that have sort of tacked on spoilers poorly.

I think some of the stuff in Xenoblade counts.
I honestly don't think I cared for the game's C-plot surround High Entia affairs...  Hell, even the Earth stuff doesn't matter much given how little sense it makes (but it does make for some crazy cool and unexpected end-game scenery)

Oh lord also some character-related FFXV spoilers:
Prompto being a Magitek Knight or whatever...totally out of nowhere, almost completely pointless, and built up for suspense for the main party to simply go "whatev', you're you, you're our guy".

At least with Xenoblade, that was mostly due to the need of meeting the Xenowhatever's quota of punching false gods' faces in to beat the game. Hell the
Xord thing
was a more interesting twist than that.

As for my "who gives a shit?" spoiler example would have to be FFVIII's
Laguna and Raine being Squall's biological parents (as by that point, everything else involved Squall at some level).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »

changed back into Serge.

Excellent point.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2016, 05:34:44 PM »
Ok quite honestly, I don't think there's anything CT or CC did that Sands of Destruction didn't do better. Very similar themed animals/humans etc etc.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2016, 09:37:25 PM »
Ok quite honestly, I don't think there's anything CT or CC did that Sands of Destruction didn't do better. Very similar themed animals/humans etc etc.
Wow, either that is the most harsh insult I have ever seen someone give a game, or we have a really divergent views on Sands of Destruction. O.o

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2016, 10:10:59 AM »
I just assume Artimicia is joking when she/he says stuff like that
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2016, 07:24:36 PM »
Either that, or she's baiting us trying to start drama.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
I think Arty (calling 'em Arty from now on) was just drunk posting again.

TASTY!

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2016, 08:11:38 PM »
I think Arty (calling 'em Arty from now on) was just drunk posting again.

Drunken forum posting is in my Top 82 things to do on a Friday night.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!