More like #2. #1 is getting drunk.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2016, 03:11:46 PM »
TBF, upon re-reading, Ranadiel's response was more charmingly moderate than I at first noticed.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2016, 03:14:41 PM »
Hey no Sands love? That game was awesome, except the combat was broken at times.

But like so was CC amirite?

CT could be pretty jank also... I think I should cast summon Aeolus and he does his run down thing where he beats the tar out of the gaming systems of this or that.

Also the music was goddess-tier in Sands.

And I'm posting the best world map theme in JRPG history right here nah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxhXMjjE_xA&index=12&list=PL7FC3B8FAB983F9EC

Taupy was a goddess tier character. The only characters in all of Chrono to rival them were Lynx and Harle (Or Serge and Kid, or... whatever... plot confundo mas)

Anyway the short story is I got a thousand times more into Sands than I did either Chrono (although CC had it's moments) for reasons that people supposedly got into Chrono (story etc) on IMO similar themes.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:24:55 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2016, 04:22:41 PM »
Is this what I sound like when I gush about how X-2 is one of the all-time best Final Fantasies?

For the record, that world map theme was pretty darn good, Arty, but you gotta take those rose-tinted glasses off.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2016, 05:22:58 PM »
Hey no Sands love? That game was awesome, except the combat was broken at times.
I'm pretty sure that it would make my top 10 worst games I have ever played for story reasons alone. I don't even remember the combat. >.>

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2016, 05:47:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it would make my top 10 worst games I have ever played for story reasons alone. I don't even remember the combat. >.>

Combat was challenging till you were on par with the enemy then it was too easy.

Sands was, to me, a swing and a miss, a fun and fine effort, but not enough to be terrible memorable.  Sorry.  That said, there's a ton of average-terrible games I'm sure we're all guilty of "incorrectly" liking a bad game as much as we do.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2016, 11:23:40 PM »

CT could be pretty jank also... I think I should cast summon Aeolus and he does his run down thing where he beats the tar out of the gaming systems of this or that.

Taupy was a goddess tier character. The only characters in all of Chrono to rival them were Lynx and Harle (Or Serge and Kid, or... whatever... plot confundo mas)

Anyway the short story is I got a thousand times more into Sands than I did either Chrono (although CC had it's moments) for reasons that people supposedly got into Chrono (story etc) on IMO similar themes.

*SHAZAM!!!* WHO DARES SUMMON THE ANAL AEOLUS!?! Err. Alright...anyways, I've never had the opportunity to play Sands of Destruction (namely because it was an Imageepoch work, which tended on the generic to awful side of things, but also because it came with a tie-in anime and no good comes of that).

As for Chrono Trigger, ironically, I have very little to say about the actual gameplay due to it being largely standard ATB operating procedure. Only Dual/Triple Techs and the limited Tech lists themselves were of any note, and in fact, the game suffered from poorly translated ability descriptions (Antiplode 1~3: "Attacks with the power of 'Antiplode'."; very helpful Ted). Much of the rest of it really hinged upon the fact that, like contemporary JRPG Final Fantasy XIII(1), it was more about the fact that the game was almost entirely comprised of scripted encounters. The big difference between it and FFXIII-1 was the fact that generally speaking, various environments made use of those scripted encounters to set up the occasional set-piece that hinged around either getting into or avoiding random encounters (such like the Sewers and not making a sound or hunting Nus in the Hunting Grounds during the rain for trading fodder, to name but a few examples out of dozens), whereas FFXIII-1 really didn't (or tried to but failed due to the limits of the engine/poor environment design/over-reliance on crap like Decepticons Deceptisol to try to compensate for poor game design). As for the Dual/Triple Techs, they were novel at the time, but honestly did little to justify themselves in the long run (an NG game might call for certain Dual Techs for better/different area coverage than what's normally available, but the damage increase doesn't justify spending 2/3rds of your party's turns to spam, and then everything bleeds into Lightning/Fire/Ice/Water 2 anyways where you have total screen coverage and only need to match elements and keep your MP up).

Chrono Cross's gameplay is a lot more interesting, but also a great deal more flawed due to PSX load times, the Element Grid needing to be stocked and restocked constantly, Stamina and how punching things before using a Tech improves your accuracy, Elemental Fields making Summoning fucking hard to pull off (nevermind actually having Summons to begin with; beyond Frog Prince), the massive roster of largely similar characters (with only two point five-ish active party slots to work with), the fact that a bunch of characters you get early on are arbitrarily locked off from you for over 75% of the game (and the female lead is gone for almost 90% of it if you do it right), and so on. Just to cover the good points, you have a speed up mechanic (NG+ though), Elements being movable means either sticking powerful spells down to lower levels for ease of casting, or using weaker spells at higher levels for more power/effectiveness, Stamina grants you better turn control than ATB ever will, Star Levels makes your 42+ party bench feasible, and equipment's been simplified while also offering a few unique choices for at least some marginal variety. Of course, special mention goes to the game's fixed battles, which hues closer to FFXIII's end of the spectrum rather than CT's (and the generic battle music sucks).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2016, 04:46:11 AM »

*SHAZAM!!!* WHO DARES SUMMON THE ANAL AEOLUS!?! Err. Alright...anyways, I've never had the opportunity to play Sands of Destruction (namely because it was an Imageepoch work, which tended on the generic to awful side of things, but also because it came with a tie-in anime and no good comes of that).

As for Chrono Trigger, ironically, I have very little to say about the actual gameplay due to it being largely standard ATB operating procedure. Only Dual/Triple Techs and the limited Tech lists themselves were of any note, and in fact, the game suffered from poorly translated ability descriptions (Antiplode 1~3: "Attacks with the power of 'Antiplode'."; very helpful Ted). Much of the rest of it really hinged upon the fact that, like contemporary JRPG Final Fantasy XIII(1), it was more about the fact that the game was almost entirely comprised of scripted encounters. The big difference between it and FFXIII-1 was the fact that generally speaking, various environments made use of those scripted encounters to set up the occasional set-piece that hinged around either getting into or avoiding random encounters (such like the Sewers and not making a sound or hunting Nus in the Hunting Grounds during the rain for trading fodder, to name but a few examples out of dozens), whereas FFXIII-1 really didn't (or tried to but failed due to the limits of the engine/poor environment design/over-reliance on crap like Decepticons Deceptisol to try to compensate for poor game design). As for the Dual/Triple Techs, they were novel at the time, but honestly did little to justify themselves in the long run (an NG game might call for certain Dual Techs for better/different area coverage than what's normally available, but the damage increase doesn't justify spending 2/3rds of your party's turns to spam, and then everything bleeds into Lightning/Fire/Ice/Water 2 anyways where you have total screen coverage and only need to match elements and keep your MP up).

Chrono Cross's gameplay is a lot more interesting, but also a great deal more flawed due to PSX load times, the Element Grid needing to be stocked and restocked constantly, Stamina and how punching things before using a Tech improves your accuracy, Elemental Fields making Summoning fucking hard to pull off (nevermind actually having Summons to begin with; beyond Frog Prince), the massive roster of largely similar characters (with only two point five-ish active party slots to work with), the fact that a bunch of characters you get early on are arbitrarily locked off from you for over 75% of the game (and the female lead is gone for almost 90% of it if you do it right), and so on. Just to cover the good points, you have a speed up mechanic (NG+ though), Elements being movable means either sticking powerful spells down to lower levels for ease of casting, or using weaker spells at higher levels for more power/effectiveness, Stamina grants you better turn control than ATB ever will, Star Levels makes your 42+ party bench feasible, and equipment's been simplified while also offering a few unique choices for at least some marginal variety. Of course, special mention goes to the game's fixed battles, which hues closer to FFXIII's end of the spectrum rather than CT's (and the generic battle music sucks).

Damn straight
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2016, 09:00:04 PM »
Cross could have used a counter telling the player how many attacks they had left before the enemies take their turns, and both games aren't exactly the gold standards of visible battles (which to me are EarthBound and Mother 3).

Sneaky_Seal

• Community manager for Ash of Gods
  • Kostroma people
    • View Profile
    • AurumDust - inde game developer
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »
Hi, everybody.

So if I've played both the games and enjoyed them a lot - what are some similar games I should look at?

Preferebly, PC or those that can be emulated.
Member of the team working on Ash of Gods - a story driven tactical RPG with card game elements. Feel free to ask me anything.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2016, 06:13:45 PM »
Please don't talk about emulating games on the forums.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2016, 10:32:29 AM »
^ Rookie mistake.

Also........ I'm having trouble thinking of "similar" games to the Chrono series (besides some Final Fantasy).

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
^ Rookie mistake.

Also........ I'm having trouble thinking of "similar" games to the Chrono series (besides some Final Fantasy).

I am Setsuna F. Seiei? Black Sigil?

Oh wait. You're trying to think of games 'similar' to Chrono whatever and not 'blatantly tried to copy while failing to understand what they were purloining'.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.