Author Topic: Reccommend me some PS4 games!

WeinCruz

• View Profile
Reccommend me some PS4 games!
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:55:56 PM »
What's up?  This is my first official post on this forum (at least under this username), and I wanted to start by saying I plan on FINALLY getting a PS4 before this Christmas, but I haven't really kept up with the game releases on the console, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to which games to go for first.  My favorite genre of course is RPGs (Japanese or Western), but I also enjoy action games, shooters, and hope to get back into real-time strategy. 

So what are your top 10 most reccommended RPGs for the console, and for that matter what are your top 10 most reccommended PS4 games of other genres?  I already plan on getting Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, Fallout 4 (whatever GOTY or DLC-Included edition is out or is slated to be released), and of course Tales of Zestiria and Berseria, but I havent really decided beyond that.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
Re: Reccommend me some PS4 games!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »
If you would be interested in shooter/RPG hybrids, I believe there's Borderlands: The Handsome Collection and Destiny: The Collection.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 06:06:16 PM »
Welcome, and nice Growlanser reference! Bloodborne is the business, Dragon Quest Builders is delightful, and Disgaea 5 is a great one of those if you're into those games.

Der Jermeister

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:31:25 PM »
Personally I think Bloodborne and the other Souls games are your mileage may vary type games, and having been burned twice by the series, I'd definitely hesitate in recommending them.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:25:39 PM »
Skip Star Ocean. As a fan of the series, it's fucking terrible.

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »
Skip Star Ocean. As a fan of the series, it's fucking terrible.

Wait, no, AgentD, what are you doing recommending- wait, you're telling him to not buy it?
Carry on.

And yeah, I got nothing. Ragnarok Oddyssey Ace? God Eater 2? Natural Doctrine, if you can find it? I really need to play more PS4 games. T_T

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 09:24:19 PM »
Some of these are also on other platforms, but I would highly recommend these RPGs:

Bloodborne
Dark Souls III
Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Quest Heroes
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (+ both expansions)

I would also recommend these RPGs with a little less enthusiasm (but still worth playing):

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
Tales of Zestiria
World of Final Fantasy

And probably FF XV, but I haven't started yet and it's only out today...

Other than RPGs, you absolutely must play:

The Last of Us
Uncharted 4

Absolute masterpieces.

Der Jermeister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »
lol so sux amirite?
The Souls games are fucking terrible. See how that feels?

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 10:11:53 PM »
For RPGs, other folks have given some good stuff already, but I'll plug our own Reviews page, which you can sort by score:
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews-ps4.html

Several of them have been featured on our Twitch channel if you want to watch videos before you buy.

In terms of non-RPGs, I definitely recommend inFamous: Second Son.  You don't have to play its predecessors first. In fact, the first game's pretty rough in comparison at this point, so I would only recommend going back and playing it if you decide you LOVE the series. :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 11:32:11 PM »
Favorite PS4 games I've played:
Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
Dishonored Definitive Edition
Dishonored 2
The Last of Us
Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection (Mostly for Uncharted 2)
Uncharted 4
Salt and Sanctuary
I Am Setsuna
Rogue Legacy
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

A couple Indie games I fell in love with:
Furi
Bound
Journey
Teslagrad
Xeodrifter
Dust: An Elysian Tail

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 12:00:00 AM »
lol so sux amirite?
The Souls games are fucking terrible. See how that feels?
First of all, I don't like the souls games, so you're preaching to the choir. Second, I'm a fan of the star ocean series, but V was abyssmal dogshit and deserves nothing but contempt and disgust. Third...well, you're just a mean doodie head!

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 12:43:01 AM »
Only one I'd recommend that hasn't been mentioned is Divinity: Original Sin.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 12:43:26 AM »
Third...well, you're just a mean doodie head!

Honestly, at this rate, I think that's the level of insults he'll start resorting to soon enough.

Look, Der Jermeister, I hate to say this, but: You're not, nor have you ever been, a video game. I know this, because you talk back sometimes. Video games do not do that. Believe me, I've tried. I'm also guessing you're probably not really a lupine cub, just like how I am not really a mechanical frost-wolf (as my spirit shaman helped reaffirm to me last night. It's merely the banner I proudly fly)...unless the internet really is a portal to another world. In which case, that sounded a lot cooler on Digimon than it would in reality.

Irregardless, You don't have to overreact to every little criticism, least of all when it isn't even aimed at you. I mean, I can get a sense for why you might feel that way - I wouldn't even be bothering with this pep-talk if I didn't have to give the same spiel to myself at least once a week. It's easy to see your tastes in games (or any hobby that you deeply love, I'm guessing. I only really have, like, two hobbies anymore, so don't quote me on that) as a reflection of yourself.

...Eh, I'll give you the short version, since you're (probably) an adult: If you really want to prove so much that the games you love are so great, then prove it. Build up a wall of evidence and make sure it's Ironclad.

Conversely: "The Souls Series Sucks"? Really? That's like you went up to an enemy castle, and tried to tear it down by throwing a Goddamned pea at it. C'mon, you can do better than that. You gotta be creative! Look for cracks, exploit its weaknesses, tie up as many flaws as you can into a neat little bow, load it onto a catapult, and really wreck that shit! Don't just focus on the usual insults, pretty much everyone's built up a defense for that, provided they've survived grade school. You have to at least try to come off as eloquent, because that's when people perk up and start listening.

...as much as I hate to admit it. <_< I always preferred the quick & snappy method, but that ironically requires even more naunce...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:45:36 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 04:04:18 AM »
I own 1 PS4 game. World of Final fantasy. Its fun, probably really fun if you like monster raising games.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 04:07:28 AM »
Jermeister, cool it. You've been formally warned before.