Author Topic: Tyranny

bigdeath

• View Profile
Tyranny
« on: December 03, 2016, 10:51:13 PM »
And one else playing this little gem of a game? This site just posted a review so I thought we should have a chat about it.

I love the game. It has its flaws but I'm enjoying it quite a lot. It is very much like a choose your own adventure game but in this case a choose your own evil game. Pretty fun if you like old school isometeric games.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Tyranny
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 06:27:39 AM »
I got an email about the game and was thinking I might be interested in playing it...someday. So one thing I have been wondering, are you limited to evil choices or can you play a good man in an evil society?

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:56:34 AM »
I got an email about the game and was thinking I might be interested in playing it...someday. So one thing I have been wondering, are you limited to evil choices or can you play a good man in an evil society?

I'll quote you my exact answer on another forum:

You can somewhat be a goody in here.
You basically want to conquer places and things 'intact' so that they may better serve Kyros.
After all, dead people can't work and destroyed cities can't extend his empire.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 12:04:19 PM »

Kind of. You sort of play Judge Dread in the bronze age so you can be somewhat good. Often times you'll be abritrating a dispute and picking which evil you think is the lesser evil (if your trying to be good).

If your worried about having to play a mindless psychopath, don't worry. You can be merciful and diplomatic when the situation allows for it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:06:30 PM by bigdeath »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:16:37 PM »

Kind of. You sort of play Judge Dread in the bronze age so you can be somewhat good. Often times you'll be abritrating a dispute and picking which evil you think is the lesser evil (if your trying to be good).

If your worried about having to play a mindless psychopath, don't worry. You can be merciful and diplomatic when the situation allows for it.

Hey, I was wondering about that, too! And that sounds absolutely terrible, at no point would I ever enjoy that. So thanks, now I will never have to acknowledge this game again. And I mean that in the nicest way possible, it's rare that I get such a cut and dry case, and maybe my Steam library would be less intimidating if more games were as easily denounced.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:40:02 AM »
Yeah, if you can't stomach having to choose between the worst of two evils then this isn't really the game for you. Even in the best case your still Judge Dread, whos hardly a saint.

Sneaky_Seal

• Community manager for Ash of Gods
  • Kostroma people
    • View Profile
    • AurumDust - inde game developer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 06:06:36 PM »
I think you should cut the game some slack for the following reasons:

1. You are not evil in psychotic way, rather you are part of the conquest to bring the new peace and order to the contintent. You character does have a very specific Kyros law to follow and overall it raises a good discussion about morality and good vs evil in games.
2. You can also be a goodie - if you let go the to-be-conquered warriors on several occasions - they will invite you to a secret meeting and offer you to raise up against your master and joing their resistance (which allows you to join them and fight alongside them for the rest of the game).

I think that you should only discard games that are of inferior quality - this is not one of them. So I'd reccomend to you to pick it up and decide for yourself, whether you like it or not.
Member of the team working on Ash of Gods - a story driven tactical RPG with card game elements. Feel free to ask me anything.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 07:48:45 PM »
Why should I buy and play it, though, if I already have plenty of other choices that also happen to adhere to my morals? I never said it was a bad game, I only meant that it was a game I wouldn't enjoy. It's lamentable, to a degree, but I know in my heart that it's the right choice.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »
I started my second game of Tyranny and there is the rebel against the evil path which I'm doing now.
Up to now, it seems pretty 'good'.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »
I'm happy to see you enjoy it. Tyranny certainly had a sleeper release, coming out without much fanfare. I just wanted to get the word out so more people could try it out.