Author Topic: SRPGs for a Newbie

TurnerBasedXP

• View Profile
SRPGs for a Newbie
« on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:25 AM »
Hello all,

So I have always been a fan of JRPGs since Final Fantasy VII. I also love Kingdom Hearts, Tales series, and Pokemon. The past few years I have basically been playing more Western RPGs mainly from Bethesda and Bioware.

So all this time spent playing games, but I have never picked up and played a strategy or tactics RPG. I have heard the many praises of FF Tactics, Fire Emblem, and Disgaea. I really want to give this genre a shot so I can see if I enjoy it or not. The problem is I feel a bit intimidated by the genre which is probably why I've never played one.

So my question is, what is a good SRPG for a newbie. Something perhaps with an extensive tutorial. A game that defines the genre well, and is inviting for a new player. I have a PS Now subscription and was contemplating Disgaea 3 or 4, but I wanted to hear opinions from experienced gamers. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks everyone.

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
Re: SRPGs for a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »
Disgaea 4 is my favorite in the series, and imo, that series does a good job of explaining how to play it and access its numerous features. The problem is, Disgaea games can be overwhelming with their amount of content and systems. I think FF Tactics would be a really great choice, as would Fire Emblem Awakening.

What systems do you own, outside of your PS4? That info will help us find the right game for ya! :) 

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
Shining Force 1 and/or 2 are very newbie friendly and fairly available to boot.

That said, I cut my teeth on Final Fantasy Tactics (which wasn't easy but manageable) before branching out. Super Robot Wars games (if you're willing to import from Singapore) are generally easy due to being more about picking favorites than involving any kind of strategy. Fire Emblem has gotten super easy these days with Casual and Phoenix Modes in Awakening and Fates. If you can dredge it up, Pokemon Conquest is kinda along the lines of FFT (emphasis on 'kinda').
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »
I think the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance games are a little more forgiving than the PS1 game.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 12:08:39 PM »
I think the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance games are a little more forgiving than the PS1 game.

True, but that's because they're terrible and grindy as fuck.

Seriously, I don't think this poster needs to play a game where his team starts suffering permanent stat reductions because asshole AIs walked up to one of your guys and punched him in the face, which causes your guy to punch back and oops it was just enough to KO the foe and now he's going directly to Jail, doesn't get to pass GO, will cost more than $200 to bail him out, and all because you forgot to unequip everyone of their counterattack ability for that one battle which counts as a violation of the No Physical Attack law (which had the enemy not gotten himself KO'd, would've flagrantly disregarded without penalty because enemies give zero fucks about post battle consequences to begin with). Not that it wasn't bad enough that you had to pirouette around not having to physically attack or use Fire (aka the most common) magic or use Potions or Phoenix Downs or other items. At least the enemies themselves are barely more than speedbumps past the opening 5 or so missions due to every level featuring flat featureless terrain, and enemies that are poorly armed to ensure that once you've obtained the coveted Steal Weapon ability, you'll have nothing worth stealing.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:11:13 PM »
I might be imagining it.

But...

I think you don't like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
I might be imagining it.

But...

I think you don't like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Anybody who's ever played FFTA1 knows that nothing about the game's 'Laws' mechanic was good or well conceived. Not to mention the fact that you're not even getting a plot out of it or anything ("Oh noes, somebody opened a book and we're now stuck in fantasy land. Let's run a bunch of random missions until we suddenly aren't in fantasy land anymore. We're out? Good Job! Game Over! Roll Credits!"). And don't start with that 'the main character was a villain' bullshit either. There's such a thing as something being badly written (also, FFTA was among the crop of Squeenix games that were all written with lots of word-salads that were horribly pretentious while saying nothing beyond "Power of Friendship conquers all").

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
FFTA wasn't that pretentious. Especially for a Final Fantasy game. Laws are annoying,but I could see what they were aiming for.

I don't even know why you would say "Don't start with that "the main character was a villian bullshit"" - what are you referring to? And why do you seem so upset. Take a breather maybe?

Spoiler: show
Are you referring to the fact Marche destroys Ivalice to get back home?

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
You can go down a time sucking rabbit hole in Disgaea and end up dumping 100 hours into it without really even tackling the storyline.  Since you seem like WRPG's, maybe that's your thing.
FFT: The War of the Lions -  The best
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - as close to FFT good as exists
Front Mission 1 - The only game in the series that doesn't drag on and on and on
Riviera: The Promised Land - Very strange little game.  Innovative.  But possibly not really an SRPG
Valkyria Chronicles - Innovative and fun. easy af though. avoid if you want any sort of challenge.  Also possibly not an SRPG.
If you want something quick and dirty, try Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement.  It's as streamlined and simple as they come, and it's only about 8-12 hours long so it'd work well as a sort of dry run into the genre.  If you find this game tedious, then SRPGs might not be right for you.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »
FFTA wasn't that pretentious. Especially for a Final Fantasy game. Laws are annoying,but I could see what they were aiming for.

I don't even know why you would say "Don't start with that "the main character was a villian bullshit"" - what are you referring to? And why do you seem so upset. Take a breather maybe?

Spoiler: show
Are you referring to the fact Marche destroys Ivalice to get back home?

Yes, that's the common argument.

Also, I'm not angry, I just post like a sailor. I've been posting like that since I joined. Its nothing new nor aimed at you. The big difference is that I don't have the same amount of time to give a second or third pass on my posts as I used to.

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 12:43:20 PM »
Oh hey, what about Stella Glow? I own it but haven't had the chance to play it yet. Would that be a good entry point to the genre for OP?

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 12:59:03 PM »
Vandal Hearts honestly.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 01:15:43 PM »
Oh hey, what about Stella Glow? I own it but haven't had the chance to play it yet. Would that be a good entry point to the genre for OP?

Nothing about Stella Glow appealed to me at all, but then I really haven't given Stella Glow's developer Imageepoch the time of day after Time and Eternity (what a dumpster fire that one was). Then again, the fact that the developer went bankrupt and the CEO vanished from the face of the earth without a trace was also a consideration. I am aware of their first SRPG attempt, Luminous Arc, which could be described as an uninspired harem anime stapled to a bad SRPG. As far as I know, the only Imageepoch game that didn't suck was Arc Rise Fantasia, and only because it was a mediocre JRPG on the 'starved for JRPGs' Wii.

If you want something quick and dirty, try Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement.  It's as streamlined and simple as they come, and it's only about 8-12 hours long so it'd work well as a sort of dry run into the genre.  If you find this game tedious, then SRPGs might not be right for you.

Dirty's putting it mildly. Moar liek 'quick and eye searingly fugly' amirite?

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 01:31:09 PM »
I love FFTactics, but it has a super uneven difficulty curve.

I second the Shining Force I and II call. It's a great, well-designed entry into early SRPGs. The Banner Saga is excellent as well. It's more in-depth, but has a good learning curve.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 01:34:52 PM »
I'm with Aeolus on the FFTA hatewagon. Terrible implementation of otherwise cool ideas, the law system was so hokey that I think I would have been better just getting killed every time I killed someone. Plus, the % chance of hitting someone was so ridiculously off base every time...I basically saw 95% as "lolwhiff" and 45-60% as guaranteed (mostly because it was the enemies getting those and always landing hits). The story, gameplay, designs....all of it was pretty whack.

TASTY!