Author Topic: Your Favourite Android Games

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Your Favourite Android Games
« on: December 14, 2016, 06:20:04 PM »
Like I'm sure many others are too, I'm constantly on the lookout for good Android games to download and play. I thought perhaps we could share some favourites and introduce each other to gems we might not have heard of. i've listed a few of my favourites below that aren't pay-to-win or filled with ads. I'd lover to hear what everyone else loves or has been playing recently and would recommend.

Alto's Adventure
Price: Free.
Ads? No.
IAP? Yes. Can buy a coin-doubler.

A visually stunning endless runner/snowboarding game. You board down the mountain and do tricks, clear missions, catch alpacas and outrun angry elders riding alpacas. One of my favourite games this year.

Kingdom Rush / KR: Frontiers / KR: Origins
Price: Free / $1.99 / $2.99 (USD)
Ads? No.
IAP? Yes. Unlock additional heroes to use.

The best tower defence games I have ever played. Incredible depths, tons of levels, genuienly challenging, gorgeous visuals and perfect for mobile play. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Pixel Dungeon
Ads? No.
IAP? No.

A pretty challenging, completely free, roguelike. Open source too, I think. Quite devious at times, but very well designed and fun to play. And you can save and quit anywhere, which makes it mobile friendly.

The Battle of Polytopia
Ads? No.
IAP? Yes. Unlock additional civilisations to play.

Basically a Civilization clone with a lot less features, but it's super addictive and really optimised for mobile. I only just discovered it, but I've been playing heaps of this one the last couple of days. Visually appealing and really fun to play. There's a couple of different modes to try out too.

The Enchanted Cave 2
Price: $2.99 (USD)
Ads? No.
IAP? No.

A roguelite that lets you delve into a dungeon and bring back out various permanent treasures to help you on your next run. Lots of collectables, too. Really solid game - also available to play in your web browser (Kongregate) for free. The Enchanted Cave 1 is pretty good too, but I'd recommend #2 over it.

TheoTown
Ads? No.
IAP? No.

Essentially SimCity 2000 on mobile. Devs are doing fairly regular updates and adding new buildings. If you like old-school SimCity then you will enjoy this!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favourite Android Games
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 12:14:47 PM »
not helpful to this conversation but:

Would be pretty interested in the results of a poll on whether or not regular forum users play mobile games.

There has been a lot of negativity voiced about their existence and I'd like to know if that's the feeling across the board or (as is so often the case) it's just a very vocal minority making lots of noise.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »
I'm curious as well.

I used to play a lot of serious mobile games (see the list of games under my name on the Mobile reviews page).  But after I stopped traveling as much, I dropped that.  Now I just play quick stuff. I have tried going back to a few RPGs and such, but haven't been able to get myself to play long games like that on my phone.

I do puzzle games these days. Recently learned about Minesweeper: Collector, and I like it a lot. They did a really good job of making it quick and easy to play without losing any functionality - they even added some stuff the classic Windows version was missing.  Like if you hold down on a number that's already got all of the mines marked, it clears out all of the other spaces touching it.  Or vice versa, if you hold down on a number that's only got the number of spaces left to take up all of its mines, it marks them all. It also has powerup type things that are nice, and it has just one IAP, which unlocks flashier animations and an extra tier of powerups, but you really can live without them comfortably.

I also play one called Wordbubbles, and have for a while - when I switched phones recently, I was very glad it had cloud saving, because I was over 600 levels in and didn't want to start over.  It's a game where you have a grid of letters and have to figure out the words they make. You get free hints every time you finish a group of levels, plus one per day, but you can choose to buy more with real money if you want.

I'm trying one out now called Real Einstein Riddle - it's a logic puzzle type thing, where they say "Bob doesn't play football," and you try to figure out who does. Lots of free levels, good clues so far, but also a different layout than I'm used to. Still not sure if I'm going to love it.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »
very vocal minority making lots of noise.

Seems to be the case in a lot of instances where there are opposing parties.

As for me, I'm not much a mobile gamer. Not because I don't like it, but simply because it's just not something I'm heavily into these days. I do think it's age-related for me, cuz I Game Boy-ed and Game Gear-ed my way through the early 90s, for sure. I don't have many opportunities for mobile gaming these days (I drive to and from work every day, for instance), and given the choice, I'd honestly rather play on a larger screen through a much more powerful device. I guess it could be said it just doesn't really fit into my lifestyle right now.
Don't get me wrong, I will play something (like Tales of Illyria) on my tablet sometimes, but only sometimes. Mainly when I'm waiting a short time for something (laundry to be done; wife/son to be done with something).

I am admittedly very interested in the Nintendo Switch, however. Might convert me back a bit...

Sorry about the continued hijacking and verbosity. I know you were just curious about a quick poll-type thing.

EDIT: My feeble, tiny brain just grasped the concept that you were referring to mobile (Android/iOS) games specifically. I was talking about hand-held games in general.
As far as mobile games specifically, I don't mess with them much. Most are awful; repetitive; hollow cash-grabs, but I do recognize that some are diamonds in the rough...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:54:13 PM by natros »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
I play final fantasy brave exvius a lot. It's free to play (i.e. pay to win), but it's somewhat fun. You can clear a lot of content without spending money, and it's nice to see some love thrown around to older FF titles. Very simple game, and the FFVI cast needs more love (as does FFIX, FFX characters are still MIA), but it's fun to run.

TASTY!