Author Topic: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2018, 08:59:08 PM »
I'd also agree with others here that they shouldn't have bothered with giving you the ability to move your characters around if they weren't going to do anything with it...but I still play around with it sometimes just for fun. I also wish that Pepping wasn't so RNG-based, so I can plan around it better, but it's not like there isn't some strategy to it.

You know you can keep Pep Up status indefinitely so long as you keep the Pepped Up Person on the bench right? It makes setting up Hallelujah! that much easier (although doing that requires locking down the MC, Erik and Jade for extended periods of time which kinda sucks).

The MC also gets a skill that lets him trigger Pep Up at any time you're willing to put down the MP for it, which is really useful since he's so indispensable to the majority of the Pep Powers.

Yes, I just don't like RNG. That's a lot of extra work when I'd rather have it be something I could encorporate into the moment-to-moment gameplay, like in Final Fantasy. Pep guage, anyone?

Wait, I didn't know about that last part though...guess I gotta reorder my skill points...

The hidden skills thing is kind of annoying, too, btw. Sure, you can reorder your skillpoints whenever you need to, sgold-permitting, but I don't like that I can't see what I'm working towards...I have already put extra points in a skill I didn't want just to unlock access to a skill I also didn't want, and then had to reorder it later several times. Nor have I touched every skill path yet, so there are a good number of skill I don't even know about...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:04:14 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2018, 11:26:59 PM »
I'd also agree with others here that they shouldn't have bothered with giving you the ability to move your characters around if they weren't going to do anything with it...but I still play around with it sometimes just for fun. I also wish that Pepping wasn't so RNG-based, so I can plan around it better, but it's not like there isn't some strategy to it.

You know you can keep Pep Up status indefinitely so long as you keep the Pepped Up Person on the bench right? It makes setting up Hallelujah! that much easier (although doing that requires locking down the MC, Erik and Jade for extended periods of time which kinda sucks).

The MC also gets a skill that lets him trigger Pep Up at any time you're willing to put down the MP for it, which is really useful since he's so indispensable to the majority of the Pep Powers.

Yes, I just don't like RNG. That's a lot of extra work when I'd rather have it be something I could encorporate into the moment-to-moment gameplay, like in Final Fantasy. Pep guage, anyone?

Wait, I didn't know about that last part though...guess I gotta reorder my skill points...

The hidden skills thing is kind of annoying, too, btw. Sure, you can reorder your skillpoints whenever you need to, sgold-permitting, but I don't like that I can't see what I'm working towards...I have already put extra points in a skill I didn't want just to unlock access to a skill I also didn't want, and then had to reorder it later several times. Nor have I touched every skill path yet, so there are a good number of skill I don't even know about...

You can see what the hidden skills are in a character's Attribute file. You need to go three pages down to see their accumulated skills and it lists all of them, including the hidden ones. Granted, it doesn't specify what's under what hidden panel, but I believe that once you reveal a panel, it'll stay revealed even after respeccing (and generally speaking, it's pretty obvious which skills are hidden where).

Other fun facts about Skill Panels:
- Not all skills are available even though you can see them (i.e. Erik's advanced stuff).
- Certain skills also conceal a Skill Point bonus beneath them (Sylvando has one under his Charm +40 skill).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2018, 06:50:05 AM »
I think Ranadiel's much more experienced than I am with JRPGs so I have assume that his criticisms have real merit.  However, hating on the town design is pure insanity.  The towns in this game are about as "generic" as pasta in Italy; sure it's what you expect, but it's flipping amazing and each bite is a sensation.  The attention to detail in the art direction is superlative and really pulls the player in.  Or at least it does me.
I genuinely just don't get what you are seeing in them. I guess I kinda liked the setup in the slums? But barely enough to be worth a mention.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »
Really cannot get enough of the art direction in this game!  The little details in the design make it come to life:

Warm and inviting interiors, too:
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2018, 12:02:40 AM »
Now post the double water bed from Nautica (bonus points if you screen grab the mer-maid speaking on about her mistress and her newly wed).

Spoiler: show
Because talk about twisting the knife. Lol.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2018, 09:30:17 AM »
I admit I didn't get a shot of that :P
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

MonCapitan2002

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »
That was a particularly tragic part of that story beat.

Under no circumstances should Quentin Tarantino be allowed to befoul Star Trek.
In Memoriam:  Star Trek 1966 - 2017 RIP

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »
Another swell place to request a screenshot is the fight with Skeletor in the throne room of a ruined castle. That was almost Murdaw levels of awesome set piece boss fights (it just needed better music and maybe be a little less heavy handed on the clones). You could transplant it into a Fighting Game and it'd be right at home.

Although I can fully understand why you wouldn't want to post it.