Author Topic: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »
I like how Dragon Quest games look and feel old in a way. XI looks absolutely stunning and my excitement for this has hit overdrive. It'll be fantastic to see a new entry over here.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 12:29:29 AM »
I humbly request that we use some form of olde english slang in every post in this topic from henceforth, in honor of a new dragon quest game in the states.

Cor blimey!

Thou hath found a Gimmick of the Thread and 34 gold pieces!

Edith:
Technically 2.5 versions? :O

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/nintendo-officially-confirms-dragon-quest-xi-switch

Better make that 3.5 versions.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 12:38:43 AM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 03:17:13 PM »
Thou hast, actually. And I think the 2-D version is only for the opening scenes of the game.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 03:19:40 PM »
Thou hast, actually. And I think the 2-D version is only for the opening scenes of the game.
Needn't get our knickers in a twist, more consoles is good for the lot I reckon.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 08:54:47 PM »
Thou hast, actually.

Well met, good sirrah.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 11:44:08 AM »
This is probably the first time I really want a DQ game in my hands.  Also gonna try VIII, the unanimous fan-favourite it seems, when it's out on the 3DS.  C'mon DQ, show me what makes you so special.

I've only played DQ8 and DQ1. DQ8 if fine. Its well polished, the VA is great and story is decent but nothing you haven't played 100 times before. I loved it at hour 10, its still pretty good at hour 20 but by hour 30-40 its just a boring slog. I would have probably loved it if it was say 30-40 hours long. However its soooooo drawn out that I and at about hour 50 I just stopped. I think you really have to love that DQ battle system to really enjoy it.   

DQ8 reminded me a lot of Rogue Galaxy, a game I loved at first and seemed to do everything right but got overwhelmed with the endless dungeon crawling. 

I think japanese fans get irate when games are too short because games cost them a lot more money. Unfortunately I think this leads to a lot of endless filler.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »
DQ8 if fine. Its well polished, the VA is great and story is decent but nothing you haven't played 100 times before. I loved it at hour 10, its still pretty good at hour 20 but by hour 30-40 its just a boring slog. I would have probably loved it if it was say 30-40 hours long. However its soooooo drawn out that I and at about hour 50 I just stopped. I think you really have to love that DQ battle system to really enjoy it.   

DQ8 reminded me a lot of Rogue Galaxy, a game I loved at first and seemed to do everything right but got overwhelmed with the endless dungeon crawling. 

I think japanese fans get irate when games are too short because games cost them a lot more money. Unfortunately I think this leads to a lot of endless filler.

Couldn't agree more with that assessment of DQ8. It definitely overstays its welcome. The first half is like "Yeah, great old-school JRPG action!" The second half just made me go... "Whyyyyyy is this still going on? When the fuck does this end?? There is so much going on that I don't even care about anymore". I never bothered with the extra dungeon/after game. Thankfully, Jessica's neato bikini costume helped make the end-game drag a tiny bit more enjoyable. =D

EDIT: This is the exact issue I'm currently having with Grandia (first time ever playing).  I just started disc 2, and I seriously feel like I've had enough of it. It's one of those things that I want to see through, but can't find the drive to... Been thinking more and more that I might just read a plot synopsis and be done with it. The battle system is awesome, and the characters/story are great. However, like DQ8, it's longer than it needs to be, and like DQ8 , it certainly doesn't help that dungeon/town crawling is the same.exact.tedious.shit. every single time, and there are way too many palette swaps when it comes to enemies.. Hell, I was tired of Grandia's first town within 15-20 minutes.
Somehow though, DQ8 had enough going on that I actually finished the main game, so I guess there is that I can say about it... That may have just been because I was younger and had more free time, though.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:44:15 PM by natros »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
I've been eager to play DQVIII for YEARS, but found it difficult to acquire.  Plus, as is always the case with me, I have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to good video game options.
As it is, I can't even say for sure whether I'll play VIII or XI first.

Hell, I was tired of Grandia's first town within 15-20 minutes..
This is a most vicious indictment of an RPG.  Grandia's on my list, but you can bet I won't stick with it long if I have this same feeling from it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 10:47:01 AM »
Hell, I was tired of Grandia's first town within 15-20 minutes..
This is a most vicious indictment of an RPG.  Grandia's on my list, but you can bet I won't stick with it long if I have this same feeling from it.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The story is good, and (most) of the characters involved are interesting, especially when it comes to 90s RPGs. The battle system is great, as well.
However, dungeon/town exploration is tedious bullshit. The camera is so damn close, and there are no real maps. You get temporary and (mostly) unhelpful zoom outs. Makes it real easy for you to lose your sense of direction, and for extremely repetitive enemies to get the sneak on you. The PS1 era 3D graphics don't help such a design, either. One part of a dungeon/town might look almost exactly like another part. For some reason, all that really bothers me, and I've found it hard to enjoy the game for extended periods. You get a bullshitty treasure hunt/fetch mission right off the bat, quickly showing you how not-fun exploring/searching is in this game.
The game got such rave reviews, and is considered a shining example of its time. I want to like it more because of that, and because I really do like the stuff I mentioned in my first sentence. Perhaps if we were in this game's heyday, and I wasn't also spoiled by advancements in 3d navigation in video games since then, I could appreciate it more...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:49:48 AM by natros »

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »
Apparently the world is called Lotozetasia/Rotozetasia. Could be related to DQI and III, which in turn could provide interesting plot implications.
I have a weird crackpot theory for you. The cast members shown may correspond to the classes in DQ III. MC is Hero, blue hair guy is Thief (added to S.Famicom and GBC versions), blonde girls are Mage and Priest, circus guy is Goof-Off, mustache guy is Merchant, and dark-haired girl is Fighter (Martial Artist in later translations). Only one missing is Warrior / Soldier,  which could be an unseen character. Or I could be full of crap. Baseless speculation is fun!

Mine keen eyes spotted a Soldier-esque individual in three scenes of that gif Dice posted. One in the rear of the party pose scene, one in the rear of the campfire scene, and one in the fore of the kraken scene.

Frankly, I'm thinking of a mix of DQs III and IV (multiple fixed characters, but representing full class diversity this time). What is only missing right now is the Sage class.

The theory might no be so crazy. According to this, the protagonist

Spoiler: show
"learns an astonishing truth. He is the reincarnation of the 'hero' that once saved the world, someone who carries the burden of a major mission…"

The 3DS classic mode was a good idea, first person battles are usually pretty fast in DQ. Now if this version will be localized is another story, judging by the time it took to bring DQVII and VIII.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 06:01:59 PM »
I've been listening to DQ OSTs all day and fucking this stuff is fucking so amazing tastes like the juicies such melodic orgasmic pure joy.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
I seriously think this has the potential to be one of the greatest JRPGs ever. Here's hoping I don't get my hopes up too high.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »
I seriously think this has the potential to be one of the greatest JRPGs ever. Here's hoping I don't get my hopes up too high.

Too late.

The thing about Dragon Quest is that its Dragon Quest. Even DQIX is essentially a Dragon Quest game draped in a whole mess of Level 5's Grindmill chafe. DQXI's gonna be the same way no matter how good it looks or whether its going for a DQV style epic or a DQVII's vinaigrette-a-thon. If you love it, hate it, or be ambivalent towards it; its because you love or hate Dragon Quest games or would rather play one of the spinoffs (like Monsters or Rocket Slime) respectfully.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »

Square should take note of how DQ and Persona have managed to not ruin the nostalgia attached to their brand.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons