Author Topic: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Dragon Quest XI looks glorious
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2017, 01:13:45 AM »
I think I'd like the game to have it even more since the MIDI OST is....surprisingly off-putting.  I really don't want this beautiful game to JUST be bleeps and bloops now.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2017, 10:51:47 AM »
This honestly looks like a very well polished, presentable, engaging and fun JRPG series and DQ11 is probably as good as any entry to be seen.

If I was still 7 and interested in DBZ I'd play it... seeing as I'm not... though.

Pass.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2017, 11:05:40 AM »
Are you not a fan of JRPGs, @Artimicia ?  For some reason I thought you were.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »
Are you not a fan of JRPGs, @Artimicia ?  For some reason I thought you were.

This explains so much.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
This honestly looks like a very well polished, presentable, engaging and fun JRPG series and DQ11 is probably as good as any entry to be seen.

If I was still 7 and interested in DBZ I'd play it... seeing as I'm not... though.

Pass.
This is ARGUABLY the most narrow minded and ignorant thing I've ever seen you post, and if I were a trump supporting, gun toting, abortion preventing redneck I'd probably give you serious shit over it, but instead I'm gonna be reasonable for a few and say you should REALLY make no comparison between dq and db aside from the same artist. I've played some of the horrible shit you've called "good" and to diss DQ because it looks like dbz is REALLY....(ok a little bashing is in order) fucking stupid of you. Seriously. Dragon quest as a series is almost always at the very least an incredibly interesting story.

TASTY!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »

Pass.
This is ARGUABLY the most narrow minded and ignorant thing I've ever seen you post, and if I were a trump supporting, gun toting, abortion preventing redneck I'd probably give you serious shit over it, but instead I'm gonna be reasonable for a few and say you should REALLY make no comparison between dq and db aside from the same artist. I've played some of the horrible shit you've called "good" and to diss DQ because it looks like dbz is REALLY....(ok a little bashing is in order) fucking stupid of you. Seriously. Dragon quest as a series is almost always at the very least an incredibly interesting story.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2017, 02:28:04 PM »
Better be careful, she might leave again and you'll cry about how much you miss her valuable input into the forums.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »
Better be careful, she might leave again and you'll cry about how much you miss her valuable input into the forums.

*I'm done with that, promise

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »
Yeah, it took a lot of self-control for me to not give her the response she clearly must have been looking for.  That one came in a group of several very negative and cynical posts in various threads.  Smacked of boredom.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2017, 02:46:19 PM »
I'm more amazed that you read it as a diss, D, since all I saw was a bunch of compliments for a game that he still apparently has no interest in. Which is where I'm confused, if he had all that to say, why didn't he at least give his reasons for his continued disinterest in the franchise? I mean, Arti, were you afraid of ticking off the Dragon Quest fans? Because Dice has gone out of her way to insult Dragon Quest several times in the past, and we all still love her. I think it's safe to give your genuine opinion, for the most part. I mean, a few might scream and bash the keyboard, but...you still got that anyways just by tiptoeing around our feelings like as if we're fragile flowers or something.

I mean, personally? I'd be fine with something as simple as "it looks boring". I might inquire a bit as to why, but overall, it's more understandable than "It looks like a fine RPG, yet I still don't want it" Or hey, even, "I have better games that demand my attention" - that's the gist of most games out there for me these days. Plus, it's not like DQ is perfect or anything. I'm of the opinion that the series has a lot of flaws, it's just charming enough for me to overlook them, and the vastly improved remakes they've released over the years have proven to me that the devs seriously want to make a memorable experience, and are willing to improve with every game despite them often seeming similar to eachother. That right there is why I'm already excited for it - it already oozes charm from what I've seen, and the devs have shown upfront how meticulous and dedicated they are to making this one hell of an anniversary celebration. It has what so few other franchises have earned, especially over such a long period of time: Genuine trust from its fansbase.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:15:31 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
I think it's more that Arti went and said "it looks like dbz, so bleh I'm an adult" that set me off.

A: I fucking love my dragon ball at age 32
B: I fucking love Dragon Quest at 32 as well
C: To knock a series because it looks kiddy or childish or reminds you of something you liked as a kid is the exact moment almost all of my respect would be lost for the average person.

I genuinely like Arti for being the weirdest mother fucker here, even if I give him/her shit for it now and then. But this is kind if pushing me in a bad direction...

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
@Agent D. - Well, certainly can't argue there. I just felt like there was no segue to that, and I guess I automatically ignored it when I wrote my earlier post. It does change the context, though. It doesn't necessarily mean that he ignored it because it looked like DBZ, but the implication is there, and with no other context to go off of as to why he still wants to pass on it, it's the safe assumption. I'm going to still give the benefit of the doubt, but only because Artimicia has had a history of poorly explained opinions. That excuse is losing its credicilty as time goes on, however. I certainly hope they expound upon it, since that would be extremely childish to ignore a game series just because it has used the monster and character designs from a world-famous artist, especially if you think the game itself looks "well-polish, presentable, engaging, and fun" and is the primordial essence from which one's assumed favorite genre stems from. That's not just being shallow, that's just depriving one's self of a potentially good game over a grudge, and while that's their choice to make, it's difficult for others to relate to without context.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2017, 03:36:55 PM »
@Mickeymac92 I may be a beligerent NY loudmouth, but I have moral standards too!

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2017, 03:57:22 PM »
I think I'd like the game to have it even more since the MIDI OST is....surprisingly off-putting.  I really don't want this beautiful game to JUST be bleeps and bloops now.

Wait, where have they mentioned that at all? Isn't that only for the 3DS version?

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2017, 03:27:31 PM »

Wait, where have they mentioned that at all? Isn't that only for the 3DS version?

The series' composer has, unfortunately, kinda gone off the deep end in recent years. A small part of that can be seen with the way Sugiyama has been guarding his work (I mean, to be fair to the guy, conducting/composing is literally his day job, and nobody really needs to have software pirates rip their efforts off a game disk to craft bootleg CDs, no matter how much of a Japanese Imperialism apologist they may be), but it does mean that the DQ games now only come with Midi BGMs instead of an orchestrated soundtrack like the PS2 version of DQVIII did.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.