Author Topic: Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary!

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary!
« on: December 19, 2016, 05:22:31 PM »

http://special.member.jp.square-enix.com/finalfantasy/ff30th

There's a site for it, big announcements surely to follow.
Incidentally, FF7's 10th birthday is a day after.  If I were a betting man I'd say we'll finally see some more stuff on FF7R too.

I would be pleased as punch to talk more FF stuff here while we're at it; as I'm sure many of us are here in some way, shape, or form because of the series.  I'd still love to get around to a game journal for FF8. x)
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:56:37 PM »
I think I'm just happy FFXV is a thing.

If FFVII is only 10 years old, though, I'm a little younger than I thought :P

I think those rumours floating around about the first 9 games on one disc/one release would be great. It'd tip me over the edge.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »
PRETTTTTTTTTTY sure FFVII is actually 20 years old then....

TASTY!

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
Personally I didn't find the original Final Fantasy playable until the PSX and GBA ports. I'll definitely take the original Dragon Warrior any day.

The original Final Fantasy VII also hasn't aged very well graphically, so I look forward to more info on the remake.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »
It didn't age well but FF7 gets to be a bit more campy due to its low poly graphics. I've been replaying it recently and what works in a dated PS1 game is gonna be brutal cringe when given modern graphics and medicore voice acting.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Der Jermeister

• Journey of the Cursed Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »
Yeah, I actually prefer the graphics of say, Tales of Eternia, to those in FF7.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 08:41:55 PM »
PRETTTTTTTTTTY sure FFVII is actually 20 years old then....

It also won't be 20 years old until Jan 31st compared to FFI's Dec 18th release (also in spite of looking like they're a month apart, both games were released on a year ending with a 7).

So yeah, FFVIIReboot news will be abound (and yes, its either gonna be drastically different from VII OG or completely tone-deaf as the devs basically came out and said "If you want something like the original, play the original.").
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 10:34:28 AM »
what works in a dated PS1 game is gonna be brutal cringe when given modern graphics and medicore voice acting.

Obviously, many scenes will need tweaking in the remake. :P
What's important is that the remake stays true to the "intent and voice" of the original.  The original was a deadly serious sci-fantasy plot, surrounded by frequent dips into campy fun and humor.  That doesn't have to change because it suddenly looks better and has voice acting.  It just needs to be presented properly.

It's like doing a film of a stage musical.  You can't just set up a camera and let it play out in one shot.  What works on stage may not translate to film and vice-versa.

If they just do a "shot-for-shot" remake of VII, it's going to be a comedy of errors.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »
But I don't have that much faith in Square Enix?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
Going down memory lane here... I haven't played any FF titles in years, so my recollection in some (or perhaps most) of the notes below might be fuzzy, at best:

*Warning: Serious tl;dr action follows*

~Generally speaking, the first Final Fantasy I played was the OG NES version, being that I am one of the older farts here. I actually owned it for a few years, and restarted a few times before I actually beat it, cuz that shit is not easy. I still remember grinding those damn blue pirate battles on the boat in order to be able to afford silver equipment.

~The entry that really got me into the series was II (IV Japan). I know most here look down on it, but it will always hold a special place in the JRPG area of my heart. Love that game. It made some poor choices at points (like that magnetic dungeon nonsense), but I've always loved the story and characters. Also, the music is still among my favorite of any FF title. Especially the battle themes and original over-world track.

~FF3 (VI Japan), I bought new for like $60 or $70 bucks when I was 15 (had a part time tax-free job). As Ive mentioned before, the first time I played it was my longest ever continuous game session (9 hours straight), and I only stopped because my SNES crashed the game out of frustrated exhaustion. I made it all the way to the point where you do the 3D mine cart thingee. I remember my mom bringing me dinner as I sat in that dark room. I've always appreciated the "epic" scope of the game, with the large cast (even though some characters seemed near-useless in battle), and the whole before and after aspect. Note: I ALWAYS waited for Shadow, cuz at that age, I was still into ninja stuff, and I'd be damned if I ever let him die.

~Bought FFVII new when it first came out. I remember being amazed that there was still the old school world map and various towns to visit after the lengthy Midgar portion of the game. It certainly has its weird moments. Netting the Knights of the Round materia gave me a real sense of satisfaction, after all of that damn Chocobo breeding/racing. Plus, Tifa is hot.

~VIII helped me out of pure lonliness and boredom, after my parents sold my childhood home and moved us out to the boonies. I was 18 at the time, and moved away myself the next year, cuz I couldn't stand it there. Anyway, even though this entry helped me pass the time when I was feeling low, it's among my least favorite of the series. Never really cared for the characters, or how the magic system works. Doubt I'll ever play it again.

~IX I remember enjoying, but I only played through it once, back when it was new. I really liked how it brought the "fantasy" aspect back into the series, and the characters were the most enjoyable since VI. I'd like to take a crack at it again. Dice's journal re-fueled my interest.

~X I put in the same boat as IX, in that I only ever played it once, when it was new. Didn't really care for the characters though (although I thought the dark mage chick was kinda cool), and the story seemed cheesy overall. However, I enjoyed the battle system, and thought that Bliztball was one of the better FF side games.

~I started XII, but remember just kind of quitting after there was a huge difficulty spike. The game just didn't interest me enough for me to keep going, although I still own the disc, and may retry it again someday.

XII is the most recent entry I've played. Never bothered with XI (never been much of a MMORPG guy), and after the lukewarm reviews of XIII, I lost interest in the series.

Japan II; III; and V, I played through alternative means about 10 years ago, or so.
~II is probably among the worst JRPGs I've ever played (IMO, of course). Wouldn't even touch it with a 10' pole taped to another 10' pole.
~I remember being impressed with III's use of NES graphics, but don't remember much else about it in detail. The expanded job system (compared to I) was cool on the surface. In retrospect, I'm pretty satisfied I finished it, because the way people have talked about it recently, it seems tedious as hell.
~I thought V was a very good representation/implementation of the job system, although it never really made a lasting impression on me otherwise.

So yeah, there ya go.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 01:37:57 PM by natros »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »

FFXV, FFXIV, World of FF, Dissidia Arcade, DQXI, DQ Heroes, DQ Builders, I Am Setsuna, Bravely Default, Bravely Second, and (to a lesser degree) Brave Exvius/Record Keeper haven't convinced you that they are, at the very least, competent now?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 01:42:11 PM »

FFXV, FFXIV, World of FF, Dissidia Arcade, DQXI, DQ Heroes, DQ Builders, I Am Setsuna, Bravely Default, Bravely Second, and (to a lesser degree) Brave Exvius/Record Keeper haven't convinced you that they are, at the very least, competent now?

Not...really?

EDIT: I'll elaborate a little more.

I think the games are good, BUT, I think the characters and writing are the worst part of each of those games that I played?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 01:44:49 PM by Starmongoose »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 01:56:51 PM »
Then it's a good thing FFVII already has established characters and plot?

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »
Weren't we just talking about how they will need to tweak things to make it palatable? There's plenty of room to mess up.

Also, just because it has a plot and characters doesn't mean they are gonna do justice to them.

Cloud had a personality and arc that was basically ignored in everything related to FF7 afterwards, in favor of Emo Cloud.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 02:19:45 PM »
That's a fair complaint.

But there's little reason to think they'll completely butcher the original story.  The story in Crisis Core was excellent.  They can nail this one, too.