Author Topic: Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary!

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
I don't think they'll butcher it necessarily. But coming back to my original point, the graphics of the time and the lack of voice acting game a lot of room for interpretation. Like reading a book and then seeing a movie and what you pictured in your head doesn't line up with what the directors interpretation is. Y'know?

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 02:36:26 PM »
That makes perfect sense, but I still don't understand the basis for that fear, especially in the light of the few cutscenes we've been shown.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 02:57:19 PM »
That makes perfect sense, but I still don't understand the basis for that fear, especially in the light of the few cutscenes we've been shown.

Because I care about that game a lot, I guess.

It's more to do with a feeling I've been having since FF15 got released. A personal feeling. The feeling that maybe, Final Fantasy isn't for me to enjoy any more? I haven't felt anything for any Final Fantasy game in a long time. I don't like 15, I don't play MMOs, I hate 13, and 12 was boring to me.

That's not a neccesairly a bad thing, lots of people love these games and that's FINE. I'm not boohoo'ing about change. But it is a sad fact that it looks like I'll never feel the magic of a Final Fantasy game again. And this FF7 remake is taking something close to my heart, something I always thought I wanted, but it's being made by the people who can't appeal to me any more.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »
let's see....

started with IV when I was a little booger, then moved on to VI.  Then (along with hundreds of thousands of other bratty American tweeners) I annoyed my parents about VII until they bought it and a PS1 for my brothers and I for Christmas in 1997. 

When my older brother got a job soon after, one of his first purchases was Tactics (and Tactics Ogre), which I immediately fell in love with.  Later, I'd heard that VIII was largely a love story, so I skipped it in favor of things like Parasite Eve and the original Metal Gear Solid.  I still haven't played more than 30 minutes of 8 (despite owning it for the better part of 15 years), and I'm not totally certain I ever will.

IX came out when I was a sophomore in high school and it immediately rekindled my love for the series.  That was kind of the point of it though, right? Shortly afterwards, I bought Anthology and pounded out (mediocre) 5 and reaffirmed my undying devotion to VI.  In college, eschewed buying a PS2 for a few years in favor of Xbox LAN battles of Halo, so I still haven't played X (or the HD version on my PS3).

After college, I went through a looooong Atlus/SMT phase and didn't get back into the series until after I moved to Indy and was living alone (and bored stiff). I'm not sure why I got the bug up my ass but I ended up pumping 100 hours into XII and then immediately bought and marathoned my way through the first two parts of XIII.  More recently, I bought and played the PSP version of III (which I actually sort of enjoyed).

That sort of leads me to here, milling around and trying to decide if any forthcoming title will be appealing enough to force me to buy a ps4.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:06:12 PM by glassjawsh »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 06:01:57 PM »
But I don't have that much faith in Square Enix?

FFXV, FFXIV, World of FF, Dissidia Arcade, DQXI, DQ Heroes, DQ Builders, I Am Setsuna, Bravely Default, Bravely Second, and (to a lesser degree) Brave Exvius/Record Keeper haven't convinced you that they are, at the very least, competent now?

XV could be described as ehh, XIV had to first burn down, fall over, then sink into the swamp before Yoshida swooped down from on high to save the day; World of FF also exists and I have no further comments on it, isn't Dissidia Arcade a JP only thing right now?, Dragon Quest is its own thing to the point where the same people have been running that show since its inception back in 1986, DQXI isn't even out yet, DQ Heroes is more of a Koei Temco thing (specifically Omega Force) and not one of their better showings, DQ Builders is basically the Age of Empires scenario mode version of Minecraft, I Am Gundam was derivative as hell and falls into the classic game design trap of taking random qualities from those games you loved as a kid, promptly stuffing them into a blender and hitting frappé; Bravely Default was a cool half game once the devs finally realized that there's a reason why everybody refers to it as 'Quality of Life' (though nothing really salvages the second half), Bravely Second is more of the same which would've been nicer if the setting hadn't already been so played out, Exvius and Record Keeper are some fine whaling examples, and FFVII:Reborn is basically Squeenix admitting that they can no longer escape 'the good olde days' and are ready to cash in on them instead.

Or in short, Yoshida recently stated that he's too busy making FFXIV shit bricks of diamond encrusted platinum right now to do anything else, so until he's ready to move on or Squeenix lucks onto someone competent again (whichever comes first), I've had my 'Final' Fantasy for awhile.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 10:34:49 PM »
Yo, I have a STEAM Key for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII if anyone is interested. FO FREE of course.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 12:28:29 AM »
I'm actually looking forward to the FF7 Remake still. I'm particularly interested in how they're going to handle Aeris' death. They did a really good job with the ending to Crisis Core and Birth by Sleep, where the outcome was known and they still managed to make it emotional. Not to mention with modern graphics they can't exactly get away with another PG Plunge.

And of course I'm still curious as hell how this episodic thing is going to work. I mean, people are gonna want a collector's edition, and the people who are going to buy a collector's edition are not the same people who would be willing to wait until the entire game is released to play it.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 08:19:58 AM »
I don't think they'll butcher it necessarily. But coming back to my original point, the graphics of the time and the lack of voice acting game a lot of room for interpretation. Like reading a book and then seeing a movie and what you pictured in your head doesn't line up with what the directors interpretation is. Y'know?

After hearing Noctis handle anger, grief, and other "outburts" very well I'm confident they can work Cloud without being too big a ham.

But yeah given the remake angle, I think there's a lot of pressure to preserve the old game, for better or worse.  I'm definitely worried it won't have that emotional impact or they'll just "miss the mark" on what makes VII work.

Or.
It'll be impossible to really satisfy the masses and we just gotta enjoy it for what it is.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »
everything you love sucks

I suppose that's a valid way of looking at those games... if you're determined to ignore all the good bits.

But I find it frustrating that SE can release new screens/video of DQXI and everyone is already proclaiming it as Probably Greatest RPG Of All Time, and yet FFVIIR is going to be ruined because "I can't trust SE".  Makes no sense to me.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 10:15:33 AM »
Aeoly-poly (that's your new nickname when you go on a negative bender) is just bitter. Squeenix fucks up plenty of things, but they've proven to be able to fix mistakes and deliver quality entertainment.

TASTY!

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »
Yo, I have a STEAM Key for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII if anyone is interested. FO FREE of course.

Do you still have that steam key? I'll take it!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »
uh... I also have a steam key for the same game to give away.  Just message me and it's yours.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 05:15:49 PM »
Thank you Glassjawsh. I won something on the INTERNET! HUZZA!

I'll give my PS3 copy to my friend, since he still has his PS3. I'll keep the Steam version of Lightning Returns for myself. Muhahhaha.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
Woo!!! It is the winter solstice, a time for giving.

My Steam Key for LR:FFXIII is still up for grabs. Message me and you win a prize.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 05:48:17 PM »
Shame I don't have a PC that could run this game. :(