Author Topic: Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary!

bigdeath

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary!
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
Shame I don't have a PC that could run this game. :(

I can run Lightning Returns on my little backup cheap $300 dollar computer. lol Its actually surprisingly optimized for PC gaming if I can run it smoothly on an integrated graphics card.

Are you sure you don't have a computer that can run this?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:45:47 PM by bigdeath »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
^ Uh... hmmm....

My laptop runs classic/indie titles really smoothly, but Civ V on Minimum settings still chugs.  I'm just assuming LR would run like garbage.  Plus, my laptop gamepad is... suspect, to say the least.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 01:23:32 PM »
Civ games are a terrible test to use since they are a resource hog. Lighting Returns also does not have mouse support. Its played entirely with keyboard or controller.

I'd need your laptop specs to figure out if it would run.

Honestly, as long as you have a quad core processor and 2 gb of RAM you probably can run the game.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:33:20 PM by bigdeath »

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2016, 03:06:50 PM »

It's more to do with a feeling I've been having since FF15 got released. A personal feeling. The feeling that maybe, Final Fantasy isn't for me to enjoy any more? I haven't felt anything for any Final Fantasy game in a long time. I don't like 15, I don't play MMOs, I hate 13, and 12 was boring to me.

That's not a neccesairly a bad thing, lots of people love these games and that's FINE. I'm not boohoo'ing about change. But it is a sad fact that it looks like I'll never feel the magic of a Final Fantasy game again. And this FF7 remake is taking something close to my heart, something I always thought I wanted, but it's being made by the people who can't appeal to me any more.

Man, I read through this whole thread and this statement hit me like a ton of bricks. Sums up exactly how I feel about the whole enchilada more accurately than I could have put into words.

Final Fantasy was a name that was inherent in the best gaming experiences I had up to the age of 25 and in the last decade that just has NOT been the case.

Not that I can't find that magic in other games, but there is certainly something heartbreaking to me about not being able to get it from something with a moogle or a chocobo any more. That being said, I make that statement without having played XV or WoFF yet.

Final Fantasy, and VII in particular, is the prime example of media I want to love and be excited for but am not. The funny thing is, plenty of other games and media I grew up with retained their inherent appeal and value to me.  Sailor Moon, 90's grunge rock music, Star Ocean, Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu, Breath of Fire, Dragon Ball Z, Tolkien/The Lord of the Rings,  80's/90's sword and sorcery stuff all still totally trip my trigger and inspire me but ye old Final Fantasy, which I wanna love again so much it bums me out, just doesn't.

All that having been said, all I really ever want to see from an FF revival/anniversary anything is VI get a little love. Then I think about it and go to myself "but would I even be motivated enough to play it again??"
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 03:08:25 PM by Klyde Chroma »
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2016, 09:44:57 AM »
That makes perfect sense, but I still don't understand the basis for that fear, especially in the light of the few cutscenes we've been shown.

Because I care about that game a lot, I guess.

It's more to do with a feeling I've been having since FF15 got released. A personal feeling. The feeling that maybe, Final Fantasy isn't for me to enjoy any more? I haven't felt anything for any Final Fantasy game in a long time. I don't like 15, I don't play MMOs, I hate 13, and 12 was boring to me.

That's not a neccesairly a bad thing, lots of people love these games and that's FINE. I'm not boohoo'ing about change. But it is a sad fact that it looks like I'll never feel the magic of a Final Fantasy game again. And this FF7 remake is taking something close to my heart, something I always thought I wanted, but it's being made by the people who can't appeal to me any more.

ive been feeling this way about videogames in general lately.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 03:01:42 AM »
I'm so glad I don't have that feeling. I love games as different as FF4/6 and FF13. But thats is probably the issue some have. The early FF games are very different from the modern FF games. If your favorite FF games are back when the series still used the ATB system then yeah, I think those days are long gone.

Then again, I have odd ball tastes. IMHO, FF2J sucks, FFX is the worst in the franchise, and FF15 is subpar open world (not terrible, just subpar). Oh yeah, FF7 is overrated, wheres my FF8 remake. :P
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:05:58 AM by bigdeath »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2016, 03:11:31 AM »
That makes perfect sense, but I still don't understand the basis for that fear, especially in the light of the few cutscenes we've been shown.

Because I care about that game a lot, I guess.

ive been feeling this way about videogames in general lately.

Its called 'getting older'.

Final Fantasy was always sorta trashy in terms of writing, generally speaking most of us didn't really notice it (or pay it much mind if we did), but putting a few decades under our belts and broadening our horizons will put them in perspective. For one, I've never really felt comfortable about talking about FFVI to non-gamers (and felt horribly uncomfortable whenever FFVII came up), even when I was a kid. The only thing that's changed is the understanding of why I felt that way.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2016, 03:18:36 AM »
Speak for yourself, I yap about FF4,FF6, FF8, and FF13 to anyone that will listen. But then I'm quite an openly nerdy dork so. lol

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2016, 04:58:10 PM »

Final Fantasy was always sorta trashy in terms of writing, generally speaking most of us didn't really notice it (or pay it much mind if we did), but putting a few decades under our belts and broadening our horizons will put them in perspective. For one, I've never really felt comfortable about talking about FFVI to non-gamers (and felt horribly uncomfortable whenever FFVII came up), even when I was a kid. The only thing that's changed is the understanding of why I felt that way.

As much as I would love to contend otherwise, I've no choice but to agree with this ^^. Albeit, in my case, for different reasons altogether.

It feels terrible admitting to myself "Final Fantasy" is somewhat unremarkable because it paved the way for the majority of everything I've enjoyed in gaming for decades to some extent. As evident as that is however, those decades have revealed to me a plethora of gaming experiences that outshine FF. Thus, Aeolus' point rings true for me. Getting older has certainly left me "growing out of" the franchise to a large degree.

Truly though its got less to do with the games being poorly written for me. I play plenty of crap that has poor writing.

It has come down to the simple fact that I played waaaaaay too much Final Fantasy in my lifetime and have grown with the erroneous notion that I know what to expect from an FF game. I can't get excited because too many other RPG experiences have offered me unique experiences, characters, gameplay et cetera.... While FF just keeps offering me more FF.

Years of gaming has revealed to me other titles that do virtually everything FF does in more inspiring ways and conditioned me to develop a "Final Fantasy" prejudice. The problem here lies within me, not the final fantasy franchise.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »

Trashy?  Man, I read Japanese web novels.  I have a high tolerance for trash.

It's not the writing of the old games I miss.  It's the gameplay.

Then again, I have odd ball tastes. IMHO, FF2J sucks,

I didn't think that one was even controversial.  The game had some interesting ideas but the implementation was a big mess.

FFX is the worst in the franchise,

OK, I wouldn't go that far...

and FF15 is subpar open world (not terrible, just subpar).

Nope, it's terrible ;)

Oh yeah, FF7 is overrated, wheres my FF8 remake. :P

Agreed.

I don't think your tastes are as oddball as you seem to think.  I mean I really liked FFXII, I can't hardly find anyone who agrees with me there...

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2016, 10:05:55 PM »

I don't think your tastes are as oddball as you seem to think.  I mean I really liked FFXII, I can't hardly find anyone who agrees with me there...
Well that's because FFXII is the worst in the seri...okay I can't seriously finish that sentence. Not when the first three games exist. I would put FFXII as easily the worst of the "modern" FF though (yes, I prefer FFXIII). I didn't think that was a particularly common opinion though.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 12:30:12 AM »
I like everything in FFXII before and after the Sandsea, but god that one area just kills any of my attempts to play through the game again.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 12:51:48 AM »
XII was wack as fuck. The only good thing about it were gambits (which I'll praise for days) and Balthier. FFXV is way better than it gets trashed for, the world is far from empty like everyone says it is, and the broful party is honestly way more endearing than it's given credit for. I mean, they're 4 guys, they fuck with each other and make bad jokes. Obviously there's a little royal asskissing too, but not much, and I for one am fucking thoroughly impressed by the realistic nature of their grouo dynamic. It reminds me of sitting around with a few buddies playing video games and talking shit. No serious character development, no epiphanies...just dumb questions about who's hot, who wants to play some smash bros, and one of us bragging about how awesome they are. It's really vastly better than people admit, and makes me believe that some people are really just not familiar with a group of dudes being dudes.

Also, fuck outta here, VIII sucked compared to  VII, and I'm saying that as a fan of VIII. Terrible story, a whinier cast, and the worst magic system in the series. The only upsides to VIII vs VII are a prettier design, enc-none, and real sidequests, as VIIs sidequests weren't really quests so much as locations you never had to go to in game.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2017, 01:06:27 AM »
Eh, there's a slight difference between being unfamiliar with a group of dudes being dudes and just not being a fan of that dynamic. I have very few male friends because I can't stand masculinity in most forms. Besides, I much prefer the kitschy melodrama of something like FFXIII's script to the mundane blathering of FFXV's. Everything about FFXV felt plain and boring to me. Except the combat which is a chaotic mess.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 01:10:50 AM by Klutz64 »

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2017, 01:30:32 AM »
Eh, there's a slight difference between being unfamiliar with a group of dudes being dudes and just not being a fan of that dynamic. I have very few male friends because I can't stand masculinity in most forms. Besides, I much prefer the kitschy melodrama of something like FFXIII's script to the mundane blathering of FFXV's. Everything about FFXV felt plain and boring to me. Except the combat which is a chaotic mess.
I'm up to chapter 8 and I feel no boredom regarding these guys and their mission, but I'll throw a bone your way and agree that battles need a little work. If the lock on function were a little less useless it'd be nice, and maybe knock the camera back a little further or add some user controls to it. Still, I like it, especially because I'm fond of the aerial combat flashiness.

TASTY!