Author Topic: Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary!

Hathen

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary!
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »
I'm the big FFXI fanboy around here and I like open world games with lots of worldbuilding so it shouldn't be surprising I also liked FFXII quite a bit. It definitely felt unfinished though, which anybody who has read a bit about the behind-the-scenes of the game will understand why that is.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »
It's really just a traditional RPG (using ATB) with a pretty skin.
Which, arguably, is one of my most disliked elements of the game, it's atb but it gives you the freedom to waltz into another group of enemies and get boned, but god help you if the enemy has a 2 day long swing animation and you try to run from it, LOLNO

TASTY!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2017, 09:08:36 PM »
With extremely long bar replenishment times from what I recall. Who knows, maybe if I had gone in thinking that was what it was going to be my opinion would have been different...I mean I doubt it since White Knight Chronicles has pretty much the same battle system (with slightly faster turns?) and I hate that battle system just as much. >.>

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2017, 09:25:40 PM »
Pretty much what those two said. You're judging the battle system as if it were *meant* to be something like Kingdom Hearts, when it was literally meant to be a more seamless ATB system. Hell, I once tried to beat the game in Active Mode as opposed to Wait Mode, and I'm pretty sure it's impossible.

Andrew

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2017, 10:54:12 PM »
With extremely long bar replenishment times from what I recall. Who knows, maybe if I had gone in thinking that was what it was going to be my opinion would have been different...I mean I doubt it since White Knight Chronicles has pretty much the same battle system (with slightly faster turns?) and I hate that battle system just as much. >.>

I love XII and greatly disliked WKC... though admittedly the combat was probably the least terrible offence that game committed.

It's been some time since I played XII, but I do recall setting up gambits to auto-cast haste to speed things up without having the tedium of recasting it every battle manually. I totally understand why you dislike the combat though, especially if you aren't a fan of the idea of gambits.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2017, 10:17:42 AM »
Honestly XII just needs a better Wait mode where the action freezes once a character's ATB bar fills.  Then you select the action and move on.  This would make it essentially a traditional ATB game in the same vein as IV through IX.  There would literally be no difference.  As it is, the difference is slight.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »

For one thing, at least FFXII doesn't take your main character away from you for a full quarter of its duology, only to shove him right back into the forefront right at the endgame at the exact same level he left at, and no chance to really grind his sorry ass (nor should you, since only your custom avatar cutout won't be hobbled for the final battle/entire post game).

Also, FFXII didn't force you into gimmicky/poorly thought out giant battles that almost never make good use of the concept before permanently taking the gimmick away from you for badly thought out plot reasons.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
I loved the gambit system in FF12 and in dragon age origins/dragon age 2. I was quite pissed when they took it out of DA: I and hope they put it back in the next dragon age game.

Its so useful for auto-casting buffs, healing, resurrection spells, etc. All the repetitive actions that I want my AI companions to take care of.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2017, 06:13:07 PM »

I love XII and greatly disliked WKC... though admittedly the combat was probably the least terrible offence that game committed.

It's been some time since I played XII, but I do recall setting up gambits to auto-cast haste to speed things up without having the tedium of recasting it every battle manually. I totally understand why you dislike the combat though, especially if you aren't a fan of the idea of gambits.
Maybe that was my problem? I was supposed to cast haste and never did? Or maybe I did cast haste still found it too slow and just don't remember? Who knows. It has been over a decade now, so I do not remember all the details anymore.

For one thing, at least FFXII doesn't take your main character away from you for a full quarter of its duology, only to shove him right back into the forefront right at the endgame at the exact same level he left at, and no chance to really grind his sorry ass (nor should you, since only your custom avatar cutout won't be hobbled for the final battle/entire post game).

Also, FFXII didn't force you into gimmicky/poorly thought out giant battles that almost never make good use of the concept before permanently taking the gimmick away from you for badly thought out plot reasons.
I never said WKC was a good game. :p In fact I would probably put it as the most disappointing game I have ever played. :( But that is neither here nor there.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2017, 11:41:06 PM »
Curious if you've played any RTWP RPGs (Most recent example being Pillars of Eternity), because it sounds like you wouldn't enjoy them very much.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2017, 06:35:44 AM »
Curious if you've played any RTWP RPGs (Most recent example being Pillars of Eternity), because it sounds like you wouldn't enjoy them very much.
I enjoy Baldur's Gate 1/2 (in spite of the combat system, not because of).

Edit: Also most RTWP have different issues than the ones I have with FFXII. For example, positioning tends to be important in them as opposed to being able to punch someone from 30 feet away.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:26:01 AM by Ranadiel »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2017, 09:09:29 AM »
Arvis Trivia:  I bought my PS3 (nine years ago) for White Knight Chronicles.  I was just as deceived as everyone else.  And I blame it for Dark Cloud 3 continuing to not exist.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

zach

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »
I have a feeling this will be a year of remasters/remakes and collections.

Nevertheless I'm really hoping for a XVI teaser/trailer this year. While XV was not exactly perfect, I'm curious to see what kind of game XVI will be.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2017, 09:41:43 AM »
If Square Enix hasn't learned their lesson yet about revealing projects too early then there is no hope for the company.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2017, 10:13:48 AM »
I'm curious to see what kind of game XVI will be.

Would be shocked if it came out before 2020

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"