Author Topic: Trails/Kiseki Thread! Trails of Whateva  (Read 28576 times)

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Trails/Kiseki Thread! Trails of Whateva
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2017, 09:49:10 PM »
I also finished the first chapter...but I didn't do any reading on the game beforehand and really didn't know what to expect.  So it was a bit of a shock.

I can't say that I'm crazy about the way the game is set up.  Part of the problem is that the main dungeon where you spend 90% of your time is so bland.  You would think for a game that's completely built around one big dungeon they would have at least put some effort into making it an interesting dungeon.  But so far it's been basically a straight-line path (with occasional detours for treasure chests) with scenery so repetitive you can get completely turned around and not even realize it for quite a while.  And the battles aren't exactly thrilling either.  I'm getting quite sick of fighting random skeleton troops already...

From what little I've seen of them so far, the actual side story things are fun.  Nothing ground breaking but after spending so much time with these characters in the first two games it's nice to see what they've been up to.  It's almost interesting enough for me to slog through the boring main dungeon to get to this stuff...but it doesn't change the fact that most of the game just feels like work.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2017, 09:55:52 PM »
I can't say that I'm crazy about the way the game is set up.  Part of the problem is that the main dungeon where you spend 90% of your time is so bland.  You would think for a game that's completely built around one big dungeon they would have at least put some effort into making it an interesting dungeon.  But so far it's been basically a straight-line path (with occasional detours for treasure chests) with scenery so repetitive you can get completely turned around and not even realize it for quite a while.  And the battles aren't exactly thrilling either.  I'm getting quite sick of fighting random skeleton troops already...
Well for better or for worse the second plane of the dungeon is reused assets (that are not physically linear) instead of a linear path. I hit chapter 3, but I haven't actually checked the third plane out yet. I'm expecting more reused assets though.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2017, 12:17:12 AM »
Its unfortunately the point where the devs realized that they largely backloaded the actual haps of the gameplay in a game that's no longer one single game and needed something meatier for the front half.

Really, TitS could be considered a VN running in a JRPG engine, except for the whole fact that there's 10000% more effort put into the game portion than your average VN, and the world building in TitS alone is miles ahead of even the main Ar Tonelico series.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2017, 09:39:36 PM »
I beat chapter 3. Hurray! The plane was not reused assets like I expected, but it also was not particularly interesting either. I feel it is important for me to say "Screw the boss of the silver path," though because fuck that boss fight. And I suddenly remember hearing that this is the hardest Trails game. Oh joy if that bullshit was not the end of it. -_-

In terms of good stuff, I checked out the door that requires 100 battles today and it had some very interesting lore. I knew a lot of it already through various sources, but I really liked the way that some of it was presented. Checked out some of the other doors, but I don't recall anything particularly noteworthy in the others I checked out today other than being reminded that I ship Mueller with Julia.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »
So, does it matter when, chronologically, I play Trails 3rd?  Can I go ahead and start Cold Steel before playing 3rd?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2017, 05:41:15 PM »
So, does it matter when, chronologically, I play Trails 3rd?  Can I go ahead and start Cold Steel before playing 3rd?

Probably. That's what I did. But at the same time, I only did so because I didn't have The Third. So now that you actually have The Third, you might as well play that before starting Cold Steel. Your choice though.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »
Off the top of my head, I can only think of one minorish event from Cold Steel that is a direct reference to events (that I am aware of) from the 3rd. I don't think you'll be spoiling yourself of anything major from the 3rd by playing Cold Steel. There is one major story beat from the 3rd that is spoiled in a blink and you miss it line in Cold Steel 2, so I would recommend beating the 3rd before that,

There are several reasons to play the 3rd before Cold Steel though. For example, the 3rd basically has the same battle system as the other Sky games while Cold Steel introduces some new elements. So it might be easier to play the 3rd before you get used to the changes from Cold Steel. Also the 3rd provides some context for some elements that are used in the Cold Steel games such as the North Ambrian Disaster (although that is more of a Cold Steel 2 thing). Nothing absolutely necessary that I have found so far, but it is something to keep in mind.

Edit: Oh right Lechter is introduced in one of the side stories in the 3rd. That would probably impact how you take some minor scenes in Cold Steel if you know something about him beforehand. Probably not important, now if we were talking about Zero/Azure that would be significantly more important.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:37:24 PM by Ranadiel »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2017, 10:05:41 AM »
Alrighty.  That is all very helpful!  But now I have to buy yet another game before I can start Cold Steel..... T____T
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2017, 09:18:14 PM »
Whelp I just finished getting the band back together, so started doing doors that I hadn't done yet...and fuck the fishing minigame. Whether you win or lose with your score is 100% RNG. Prize is apparently not that great so I will be leaving this door incomplete after learing chapter 1. I'd probably slog through it for completion's sake if it wasn't for the fact that the number of rounds for the minigame increases each chapter. Chapter 1 is 5 rounds, chapter 2 is 10 rounds, and I do not want to find out whether chapter 3 is 15 or 20 rounds. >.>

Overall story has been decent so far. Meanwhile, the lore bits have been fascinating. Some of the gaiden stories they decided to tell are interesting choices though.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
I personally wished I had played FC-3RD before playing CS I&II. While I enjoyed FC and am currently enjoying SC, I find myself wishing these games had the improvements that CS had. Mostly in the combat and the orbment systems.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
Alright, so I have now beaten the Third. I found it to be an enjoyable ride, but it is probably the weakest Trails game to be released in English. Considering that Crossbell has a fairly good reputation, it is probably the weakest Trails game to date (although I kinda knew that going in).

It does some good world building establishing things for later games (although I knew some of it already from the Cold Steel games). Personally I'd say the game was worth it for me simply for the lore (some of which I expect to eventually have to review as future games come out as I might not recognize all the significance in some of it atm). Really would love to discuss the lore revelations from it, but I'm guessing no one else has finished all the doors yet. Speaking of which, I HIGHLY recommend that you finish all the doors. The door that unlocks after you unlock every other door (Star Door 14?) has a fairly important bridge scene from the Sky series to the Crossbell/Erebonian series.

I do have to say that they made some weird choices in regards to some of the doors. Like Moon Door 5. I have no idea on why they did that story. And I was kind of surprised that there was no scenes related to:
[spoiler]Lucciola's backstory.[/spoiler]

The central plot was serviceable as a framing device. I imagine people will be divided on how good it is. I personally did not feel a strong connection with Kevin, so that part of the story kind of fell flat for me. I enjoyed spending time with most of the rest of the cast though.

Don't have a lot to say on the gameplay as I kind of possibly cheated my way through. >.> Although the game really seems to love using petrification and instant KOs, so be prepared for a lot of that BS.

In summary, enjoyable game (especially for lore nuts), but also the weakest of the series.

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2017, 04:44:37 AM »
So I started Trails in the Sky like 2 weeks ago.  I now finished all three games back to back.  I really loved these games and the world its set it.  Lookin forward to Cold Steel now.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2017, 06:47:47 AM »
So I started Trails in the Sky like 2 weeks ago.  I now finished all three games back to back.  I really loved these games and the world its set it.  Lookin forward to Cold Steel now.
That's kind of impressive as I think it took me two weeks just for the Third and that is the short game.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »
That's kind of impressive as I think it took me two weeks just for the Third and that is the short game.

Yeah, seriously man, did you even sleep?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

ScottC

• RPGFan Editor
  • Manderville Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »
Eh I had nothing else to play and trying to get through backlog games before Stormblood next month.

So I went through my in game time stamps for each game to see how long each took.  The first two are 100% full BP runs and the third is 100% all doors and all bosses.

Trails 1 - 39 hours
Trails 2 -  57.5 hour
Trails 3 -  41.5 hours

That's how long it should take anyone going for full runs of the games to complete them, assuming you read pretty fast.  That's really not as super long as I think a lot of people make them out to be.  In fact, if you skipped a lot of the optional stuff, played on normal or easy difficulty, and played only for main story they would be significantly shorter. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:17:41 PM by ScottC »