Author Topic: Trails/Kiseki Thread! Trails of Whateva  (Read 31060 times)

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
Re: Trails/Kiseki Thread! Trails of Whateva
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »
So am I right in thinking that the "lines" in the ARCUS battle orbments in Cold Steel are completely pointless?

As far as I have been able to tell...yes.

Seriously if they have any effect I still haven't figure it out 2 games in.  Kind of disappointing to be honest.

No, they have a purpose. It's just not the same as in the Trails in the Sky trilogy.

Basically, lines determine max EP and how many different status effect quartz you can equip. Multiple lines means you can have have multiple status quartz. On the flip side, EP bonuses get higher the further into a line you go, so characters like Emma who have only one line will have higher max EP than those who have three.

[note: edited to give correct info]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:40:57 PM by Lian_Kazairl »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2018, 04:00:07 PM »
Thanks, [member=5236]Lian_Kazairl[/member] , that was what I had noticed, but wasn't sure if there was more to it that I wasn't seeing.

So I could have multiple Attack 2 on Laura?  Or Blind, Poison, and Petrify on Fie, for example?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2018, 04:34:18 PM »
Whoops. Actually I got that wrong. It's not stat quartz but status quartz that are limited to one per line. So your example with Fie you could do, but the example with Laura you couldn't as you're still limited to only one of a particular level of stat quartz, regardless of lines (you could, however, load her with Attack 1, 2, and 3, on either one line or multiple lines.) Sorry about that confusion, I'll edit my post above.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:44:41 PM by Lian_Kazairl »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2018, 06:00:49 PM »
Yeah, it's multiple status quartz like Lian said. I think someone has 4 lines, I can't remember who it was, but they can put a status inducing quartz on each line and have their attacks/crafts usually guarantee some sort of ailment, especially if you've got the Juggler quartz on.

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2018, 08:13:12 PM »
Thanks, [member=5236]Lian_Kazairl[/member] , that was what I had noticed, but wasn't sure if there was more to it that I wasn't seeing.

So I could have multiple Attack 2 on Laura?  Or Blind, Poison, and Petrify on Fie, for example?

Fie is good with with the status effect orbs but later in the game for difficult bosses they often dont work. You can actually make Fie an evasion tank and get her evasion up to 90-105%.

I loaded up Laura with attack orbs, gave her Rean's master quartz and often saved her until late to put the finishing blows on some of the difficult bosses.

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2018, 10:14:30 PM »
Yeah, evasion tank Fie is often the way to go for difficult bosses, particularly the Cryptids in CSII.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »
Is Evasion Tank Fie the new Earth Wall Spam?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2018, 01:01:53 AM »
During autumn last year I finally played through the Sky trilogy after only playing the first game on PSP in 2011. Was well worth the hype.

Spent December and January on Cold Steel 1. Made it about five hours into CS2 before I just... stopped. I think I might have burned myself out, but I also didn't find it as... charming(?) as the original trilogy, to be honest. I'll still make a point to go back to it by the end of the month though. I'm hoping it was just burn-out.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2018, 09:36:16 AM »
Although I am utterly adoring every second of Cold Steel, I can already say I agree that it's "less charming" than the Sky trilogy.  Cold Steel enhances the scale of things, being rendered in full 3d polygons, but since they didn't put any extra effort into animation, the lack of expressiveness stands out.  While that can be filled in by our imaginations easily with sprites, it's harder to do with the 3d models of the CS characters.

That said, I still think it's an absurdly charming game, with the changing seasons of Trista being a steady source of joy for me as I progress through the game.

Speaking of which, Trista is a weird place.  It's got the academy, a huge church, MANY shops, a train station.... and like, two residences.  Doesn't really seem like a viable town.

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2018, 03:24:41 AM »
Re-playing through Cold Steel again on PC, it strikes me as so strange the amount of... for lack of a better way of putting it, "anime", this arc has. Sometimes they subvert tropes in interesting ways (I like what they did with the school clubs/activities transferring into the second game), but others they just play dead straight. Sometimes I feel the plot has some really interesting things to say, but sometimes they're shamelessly playing off of low hanging fruit. I'm trying to avoid going into specifics because it seems some people haven't finished, but suffice to say that, while I adore both games, I do wish the writing was a bit more consistent. I wonder how much of it is trying to make Cold Steel more appealing to a newer audience, and how much is just their style.

Speaking of appealing to a newer audience, I think the best thing Cold Steel does is get into the meat of the game much, much quicker than Sky. It's no exaggeration when I say that every single person I know who plays RPGs has given Trails in the Sky a shot, and not a single one has managed to make it past the prologue. I bought it when it first launched on Steam, and while the first few hours were a bit of a drag, everything past them was excellent. I eagerly awaited SC and bought it right away, but thought I'd play through FC once more for a refresher... and 3 years later I still haven't been able to make it past the prologue. SC sits untouched in my library because even knowing the quality that awaits beyond FC's first 3-5 hours, I just have not been able to do it.

Yet despite having played both Cold Steels PS3, I'm beginning Chapter 5 on my PC run. I even managed to convince one (and only one) person to give Cold Steel a try, and lo', they really enjoy it. So no matter what one might say about the quality of Cold Steel relative to the other games, give it huge props for that. I continue to buy each release to support the future of the series, and I'm really hoping that I'll be able to ride the momentum of Cold Steel and finally be able to shove past the first few hours of Sky.

Also, while I really, REALLY want the Crossbell games before Cold Steel 3, I also really, REALLY want to see Rean as an adult...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:26:32 AM by Grainofariver »
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2018, 09:33:00 AM »
I'm trying to avoid going into specifics because it seems some people haven't finished, but suffice to say that, while I adore both games, I do wish the writing was a bit more consistent. I wonder how much of it is trying to make Cold Steel more appealing to a newer audience, and how much is just their style.

Since Falcom went with a much bigger budget for these games than they had with Sky or their Ys games, they absolutely made the writing more broad in an attempt to give a cheap sales bump.

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2018, 03:19:07 PM »
I think it's just a combination of a few things. You're right, the game feels a lot more "anime" and "typical" rpg than the original trilogy.

-Rean isn't interesting to me. Estelle was a really fun protagonist, and I don't know if he gets better down the road but he's as generic a protagonist as it gets to me. Estelle felt like just a regular person (ignoring the whole daughter of a war hero thing) who got caught up fighting a conspiracy with a lot of interesting people. Rean's got that cliche "chosen one" thing going on and every girl wants him. He's just... *there* to me.

-The lore is there, but Erebonia is so different from Liberl that it almost feels like a different series to me. For all that talk about Liberl's technology giving it an edge over the big nations in the original game, it doesn't seem like it. Erebonia's got cars and their own tech lab city. It feels like these guys should be able to crush Liberl technologically at any time. It feels like it should be taking place farther along than just two years.

-I'm no prude, but it's a bit tonally jarring to suddenly have a bunch of cliche anime sex jokes like Rean falling face first into Alisa's breasts or Fie constantly commenting on the size of Emma's. I think the furthest the original trilogy ever went with that was Agate reminding Estelle not to bend over anymore because she had switched from shorts to a skirt, and *that* bit was actually funny.

-Admittedly, the graphics are a bit of a problem. I do think the original games' look was charming. It hasn't translated well to 3D. Feels like an old PS2 Tales game. At least give me the 2D illustrations of characters' heads when they're talking. Those were so much more expressive!

-I remember they kept touting that we didn't need to play the Crossbell games to understand this one. That's mostly true, but they reference "something's happening in Crossbell!" so much that it certainly feels like I'm missing out.

-I don't want to spoil anything, but the lore's getting a bit convoluted for my tastes. The first trilogy kept it relatively simple.

-Music hasn't been anywhere near as memorable. Just a personal thing.

-The class theme of the first game was really cool, but the structure of the chapters got really repetitive.

I still want to reiterate that I enjoyed the first game. Coming right off that original trilogy, though, it's kind of lacking. And like I said, I hope it's partly burnout from playing so much. From what I hear though, ToCS3 and 4 are just as much sequels to Crossbell as they are to Cold Steel, so I hope we get those eventually. And I do hope the story gets more interesting, because I don't know if I can sit through *four* sixty-hour games of this.

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2018, 03:45:21 PM »
Rean is a mixed bag for me. I like that he's a protagonist who actually acts like a leader. In most JRPGs the protagonist is the group leader because people look at him, recognise that he is the protagonist, and humbly bow before his glory. Rean at least starts taking charge, tries to problem solve, and generally maintains order within the group. His social standing also puts him in a good spot to mediate for everyone. His rise to the central figure of Class VII feels, to me, earned. On the other hand... (CS1 spoilers)

[spoiler]He's a super saiyan with a giant robot who constantly has girls (including his own adopted sister) fawning over him, but he's too dense to notice.[/spoiler]

I don't dislike Rean at all. Despite all the shonen-boy traits, they do enough with him to make him feel like his own character. Yet I feel I would like him better if they did a little more with (or used a few less of) the generic anime tropes.

Also, call me a hipster, but I actually find the 3D style they went with charming. When I turned the voices off because I didn't enjoy the dub, I discovered that it makes little beep sounds as text scrolls, akin to Dragon Quest. That feature, coupled with the visuals, made me feel very much like I was playing a PS2 game, but rather than find it dated, I found it extremely charming. Even now that I could theoretically grab the Japanese voices, just hearing voiced lines is so wrong to me. Sure the animations are rough (Cold Steel 2 touched them up a bit), but all-in-all I feel the PS2-era visuals have as much a charm to them as the older ones, albeit in a different way.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:48:13 PM by Grainofariver »

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2018, 03:53:29 PM »
You're right, in all fairness to the character, he does at least take charge and act as a mediator for his friends. He earns that. He's just a bit bland personality-wise, despite that role.

And the stuff you spoilered, that *does* grate me.

[spoiler]I've had enough with "chosen one" plots, and that he not only has the whole super saiyan thing but also a giant stupid robot is just tiring. I feel Renne is the farthest we should have gone with the mecha side of the story, and by the end of CS1 there are sleek miniature Gundams all over the streets.[/spoiler]

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2018, 04:08:34 PM »
[spoiler]I've had enough with "chosen one" plots, and that he not only has the whole super saiyan thing but also a giant stupid robot is just tiring. I feel Renne is the farthest we should have gone with the mecha side of the story, and by the end of CS1 there are sleek miniature Gundams all over the streets.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]As someone with 0 interest in Mecha, I agree.[/spoiler]

Oh my god, I just saw this in game, took a picture of it, and had to share it. Looks like posting images is out of the question, but I don't see anything about links in the rules, so:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/933807031684356270/F98810FE21FBCBA3D5CC5305D06CC09174892E01/

I laugh more and more every time I look at it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:54:13 PM by Grainofariver »