Author Topic: Artimicia's JRPG battle

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's JRPG battle
« Reply #405 on: July 29, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
Sorry. But for all of its faults, Bravely Default is still the better of the two games by a country mile.

If for no other reason than because none of its characters dress like this.

And also because Darkness Spam takes more effort and shows up later than Blowbeat/Grand Cross spams.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 29, 2017, 03:19:08 PM »
Er... Bravely Default is a pretty great game that simply copy pastes its content for the entire second half and has a difficulty curve that can be a bit intimidating, even with all the difficulty manipulation the game offers. I thought I was in the minority for simply thinking the game wasn't brilliant

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 30, 2017, 03:18:50 AM »
Sorry. But for all of its faults, Bravely Default is still the better of the two games by a country mile.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »
BD is the better game by a great deal, and that's not even to say I am Setsuna is a bad game, just BD is much better imo.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 31, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »
I don't think anyone really considers Bravely Default a "trash fire", no matter how ill-advised the back half is.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2017, 07:10:10 PM »
I don't think anyone really considers Bravely Default a "trash fire", no matter how ill-advised the back half is.
Yeah seriously, who even thinks that Bravely Default is a poor-ish game? It has bad pacing for the last half of it but the game is pretty phenominal til then. It's like calling Xenogears a bad game because disc 2 was absolute shit. The first half is still an amazing ride but the last half just makes it comparable to metallica ending a super amazing set with a loud wet fart.

TASTY!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 31, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »
Yeah seriously, who even thinks that Bravely Default is a poor-ish game? It has bad pacing for the last half of it but the game is pretty phenominal til then. It's like calling Xenogears a bad game because disc 2 was absolute shit. The first half is still an amazing ride but the last half just makes it comparable to metallica ending a super amazing set with a loud wet fart.
Eh I am not a fan of the first half of BD. I wouldn't call the whole game a "trash fire," but I would say that I am more negative on the game than I am positive. Had I just played the game with no knowledge of it, I'd probably have just called it meh, but all the hype made me consider a disappointing game. Basically it boils down to I did not like the party. I mean Ringabel was (occasionally) enjoyable, but I actively disliked Mrs. 'Unacceptable' (or w/e her catch phrase was) Agnes. Other two party members...were there? Just did not find the party members interesting and that is the sort of thing that really hurts my enjoyment of a game.

I recall that there was some interesting stuff with the NPCs (like the Vampire and his high priest buddy) and the battle system was well done, but having an uninteresting party just kills games for me.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 01, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
Ok random

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

vs

Disgaea 1

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 01, 2017, 08:26:57 AM »

I couldn't make it to the backtrack. I liked BD for all of about 3 hours. Other than the graphics (which were good) the battle system was awful and to top it off that encounter rate. I hated each and every one of the characters and made it about 10 hours. I kind of thought that it got decent reviews because if you squint really hard you can see something resembling FF6.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 01, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
Disgaea 1 for the sole reason it woke game developers up to the fact that people like console SPRGs.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 01, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »
Other than the graphics (which were good) the battle system was awful and to top it off that encounter rate.

That's a curious complaint, since the encounter rate in BD was adjustable.  You could literally turn encounters off and walk unimpeded from one boss to the next, or crank the encounter rate up to double, and do all your grinding right next to a town.

I kind of thought that it got decent reviews because if you squint really hard you can see something resembling FF6.

I quite liked the first half of BD, but didn't think it resembled FF6 much.  FF5, maybe.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 01, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »
Mind you I played Disgaea 1 on the DS, but with that I'll vote for FF Tactics Advance because it wasn't punishingly difficult like Disgaea was.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 01, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »
Yeah, out of the SNES FFs V is the one I feel BD resembles the most, and its also the one I consider the most replayable. I'd say IV and VI were more landmark for the series, but V is the one I go to to just play and enjoy. In the latter half of BD I just turned encounters off and it was really enjoyable for me to just figure out how to beat the increasingly difficult boss encounters. I would've preferred more visual variety of course, but that's not the main reason I enjoy games like it. Still, it gets points docked for that so I'd still replay FFV over it.

I still don't quite understand why people act like the latter half of BD ruined the game though- even almost all of those boss encounters are optional, the reward you get for beating them is some extra backstory that gives you a more complete picture of what happened.

Also I've never played I Am Setsuna so I can't really vote on this one.

As for Disgaea vs FFTA...I'll vote Disgaea, because insert complaint about the stupid law system in FFTA here. The only good thing that came out of it were those kickass Judge designs FF12 had.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 01, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »
FFTA was crap. As a MASSIVE FAN of the og FFTactics, FFTA was an utter disappointment. Disgaea gets the vote, and I never even played the original one.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 01, 2017, 11:01:07 AM »
Tactics Advance was a huge disappointment for Tactics fans.  Very little of what made Tactics special was present in Advance.  One of the biggest backward steps for any franchise ever.

Still way better than Disgaea.  My vote goes to FFTA.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons