Author Topic: Artimicia's JRPG battle

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's JRPG battle
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »
X-2 took the somber and tragic story of X and morphed it into a teenaged girl dress up party. 

There aren't enough Captain Piccards in the Roddenberry-verse to properly emote the amount of face palms required for that kind of creative decision.
I'll agree that X-2 destroyed a lot of good story and drama built in X, but the positives in X-2 were still worthy of making it a decent title. Great battle system, awesome use of the job system and swapping midfight for creative strategies (or simple abuse), decent music, and the new characters were somewhat engrossing (paine especially, love paine). I wouldn't call X-2 the worst in the series, that still stands with XIII, XII, IV, and II.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2017, 11:30:13 AM »
X-2 took the somber and tragic story of X and morphed it into a teenaged girl dress up party. 

There aren't enough Captain Piccards in the Roddenberry-verse to properly emote the amount of face palms required for that kind of creative decision.

It's purpose was to give us a glimpse of Spira in a different tone. I mean, everything in FFX starting with Operation Mi'hen was completely devoid of humor or any kind of cheerfulness. Honestly, if it wasn't for Cid I don't think I could even stomach the level of somberness that game takes. FFX-2 was basically the complete opposite, which I thought paired well with its predecessor.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »

I'll agree that X-2 destroyed a lot of good story and drama built in X, but the positives in X-2 were still worthy of making it a decent title. Great battle system, awesome use of the job system and swapping midfight for creative strategies (or simple abuse), decent music, and the new characters were somewhat engrossing (paine especially, love paine). I wouldn't call X-2 the worst in the series, that still stands with XIII, XII, IV, and II.

FFII is in it's own category of terrible. Tried it twice. Ended up hating myself for doing so each time. Can't say any other FF did that to me...

Final Fantasy II vs Phantasy Star III

..Discuss

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
If I may interject:

Enchanted Arms vs Legend of Legaia

...Discuss

OMG I need to play Enchanted Arms. I played a few hours into it and it seems alright. And Makoto...

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »
Considering X-2 is one the best Final Fantasies and one of the best video games ever...

When you say one of the best ones how many other final fantasies are better than this game lol.

I do need to replay this game though so I can try and get 100%.

Also can we have another final fantasy with different job classes? I miss that.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2017, 11:59:16 AM »
If I may interject:

...Discuss

OMG I need to play Enchanted Arms. I played a few hours into it and it seems alright. And Makoto...

Enchanted Arms really isn't too bad. I played it all the way through several years ago, and enjoyed it more than I had expected to. The battle system is solid, if nothing else.
...and yeah, Makoto is a rather ...jaunty fellow.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »
If I may interject:

...Discuss

Enchanted Arms really isn't too bad. I played it all the way through several years ago, and enjoyed it more than I had expected to. The battle system is solid, if nothing else.

Yeah he's the only male character I know in videos to be gay. And not even a questionable, like for sure he's gay lol.

If there's other male characters that are gay I'd like to know.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »

This criticism is just as wrong and ignorant as the 58 million other times it has been leveled at X-2.

XIII-2's worst crime was terrible story problems. It had a better (well, more polished) battle system, fixed Hope, gave us Caius, and had one of the best boss themes ever (first final boss fight with chaos bahamut)...and the sickest rock-remixed chocobo theme.
You make some fine points, as usual.  However, I have to disagree in spots.

I know it's a matter of taste, but how can anyone legitimately think XIII-2's battle system is better than XIII's?  It's literally just XIII's, only broken into a boring shadow of its former self.  COM-COM-COM gets you through 90% of the game without even thinking.  That's the opposite of "polished".
I also have to disagree that Caius is a positive.  He looks like mediocre FF fanart and his silly sword is idiotic.  I cringe every time I look at it.

So you have boring battles set in a stupid story with an awful cast (that I really wanted to like) coupled with a mostly-bad and perplexing growth mechanic and horrible monster capturing.  But at least you've got DAT SOUNDTRACK to keep it from being a totally worthless video game.

Considering X-2 is one the best Final Fantasies and one of the best video games ever...

When you say one of the best ones how many other final fantasies are better than this game lol.

Being as objective as I can possibly be, I'd say only VI, VII, and X legitimately offer a better gaming experience than X-2.  Beyond that, I'd say X-2 can compete toe-to-toe with all of the best FFs (IV, V, VIII, IX, and XII) easily, and often come out on top.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »

This criticism is just as wrong and ignorant as the 58 million other times it has been leveled at X-2.

XIII-2's worst crime was terrible story problems. It had a better (well, more polished) battle system, fixed Hope, gave us Caius, and had one of the best boss themes ever (first final boss fight with chaos bahamut)...and the sickest rock-remixed chocobo theme.
You make some fine points, as usual.  However, I have to disagree in spots.

I know it's a matter of taste, but how can anyone legitimately think XIII-2's battle system is better than XIII's?  It's literally just XIII's, only broken into a boring shadow of its former self.  COM-COM-COM gets you through 90% of the game without even thinking.  That's the opposite of "polished".
I also have to disagree that Caius is a positive.  He looks like mediocre FF fanart and his silly sword is idiotic.  I cringe every time I look at it.

So you have boring battles set in a stupid story with an awful cast (that I really wanted to like) coupled with a mostly-bad and perplexing growth mechanic and horrible monster capturing.  But at least you've got DAT SOUNDTRACK to keep it from being a totally worthless video game.

Being as objective as I can possibly be, I'd say only VI, VII, and X legitimately offer a better gaming experience than X-2.  Beyond that, I'd say X-2 can compete toe-to-toe with all of the best FFs (IV, V, VIII, IX, and XII) easily, and often come out on top.

I think in some aspects X-2 can compete with FFs IV, V, VIII, IX, and XII. I guess if I were to compare it to V I would say X-2 is an improvement on the job system and being able to change them in battle. One of the things that I suffer from V is that when going up against a boss I have no idea what job would go best against it. Of course now V is a much older game so its understandable.

FF V and VIII are mediocre. I don't hate them but I can see how their not the best FF games. V I think is a pretty basic game but I am enjoying the story. VIII I think that game just has to grow on you. Played it a few times (but still haven't beaten it) there's a lot of things I appreciate in VIII.

FF IV is alright too, I remember enjoying the story a lot in that game not sure why I didn't beat the final boss lol, but I'm gonna replay this on steam because I wanna see them as 3D characters.

FF IX is overall great loved it with the exception of the overdrives, can't stand it.

XII I think suffers from the same fate as X-2. Great gameplay and all but man the story. Probably worse in XII if I'm honest.

There are two things that can just ruin a game; story and gameplay; and only one of them needs to happen but both can occur.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2017, 12:42:27 PM »
If I may interject:

...Discuss

Yeah he's the only male character I know in videos to be gay. And not even a questionable, like for sure he's gay lol.

Just male homosexuals? No worries about female?

I kid, of course...  :/

It has been close to ten years since I've played it, but if I remember correctly, he is the only one in that game. At least, the only one who makes it so stereotypically obvious.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »
Gay characters in general are hard to come by in video games, especially Japanese video games. I'm obviously disregarding the kind of lesbian characters that exist solely for male titillation.

The annoying part is I can think of a few characters that are gay but they are either entirely subtext OR shallow stereotypes OR bisexual. (It's not bad to be bisexual, and bi people need representation too, but I mean it more in a they'd fuck anything that had a pulse kind of bisexal, ala Captain Jack from Doctor Who/Torchwood or Oliver from Trails in the Sky, as much as I like the character).

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2017, 01:30:54 PM »
If I may interject:

...Discuss

Just male homosexuals? No worries about female?

I kid, of course...  :/

It has been close to ten years since I've played it, but if I remember correctly, he is the only one in that game. At least, the only one who makes it so stereotypically obvious.

Haha well I asked for male because we now have Tracer.

Gay characters in general are hard to come by in video games, especially Japanese video games. I'm obviously disregarding the kind of lesbian characters that exist solely for male titillation.

The annoying part is I can think of a few characters that are gay but they are either entirely subtext OR shallow stereotypes OR bisexual. (It's not bad to be bisexual, and bi people need representation too, but I mean it more in a they'd fuck anything that had a pulse kind of bisexal, ala Captain Jack from Doctor Who/Torchwood or Oliver from Trails in the Sky, as much as I like the character).

And agreed most of them are probably poorly stereotyped.

And Oliver from Trails in the Sky yeah what was up with him lol. What a weird guy.

Also Oliver was in this game Ys VS. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga. Which I think its a PSP fighting game that only came out in Japan. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ys_vs._Sora_no_Kiseki:_Alternative_Saga

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2017, 01:47:28 PM »
@Arvis I won't disagree about the game being easy mode, but XIII-2's difficulty shouldn't take away from the improved battle system. Adding the ability to flip roles instead of having to run away and bring in a new crew is great, and the ability to establish a specific target or an aoe set up was very handy. Made the fighting in XIII-2 much more effective and appreciated by me at least.

As for Caius, it's entirely opinion, I admit, but I really liked his backstory. He was a villian, sure, but he did it because he was tired of bullshit. Respect given.

TASTY!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2017, 02:11:16 PM »
Grand Papillon AKA Joachim Valentine from Shadow Hearts: Covenant and Olivier Lenheim from Trails in the Sky are pretty decent examples of fairly well done LGBT characters from JRPGs
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 02:13:22 PM by glassjawsh »

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2017, 02:12:52 PM »
I disagree with Olivier. As I said in my post. He propagates the stereotype of bisexuals being promiscuous sex mad people.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.