Author Topic: Artimicia's JRPG battle

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
Artimicia's JRPG battle
« on: December 28, 2016, 04:42:03 AM »
Ok I don't know if this will be fun or interesting or not, but I had an idea which was to give a choice between 2 JRPGs, possibly kind of random or different, sometimes similar. I feel like it's often FF6 or 7, and not enough Tecmo: Secret of the Stars vs Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals remake.

Ok! So I'm going to start with 2 and then if people join in and discuss for awhile maybe I'll try another two, just pure heartfelt which one you like better and would rather play/find captivating. It's sort of like, if you had to pick one.

Ok so Breath of Fire 3 and Persona 3.

vs

(If enough people contribute then the next one I want to try is Xenosaga 1 vs Wild Arms 1)

Ok! So results so far

Breath of Fire 3 vs Persona 3: FES -> 2-2 TIE
Wild Arms 1 vs Xenosaga Episode 1 -> 3 -1 Wild Arms 1 WIN
Suikoden 1 vs Saga Frontier 1 -> 3 - 0 Suikoden 1 WIN
Super Mario RPG vs Pokemon Red -> 1 - 1 TIE
Final Fantasy Tactics vs Kingdom Hearts 2 -> 4 - 0 Final Fantasy Tactics WIN
Chrono Trigger vs Final Fantasy XIII-2 -> 3 -2 Chrono Trigger WIN
Ys I and II Chronicles vs Shadow Hearts Covenant -> 0 - 1 Shadow Hearts Covenant WIN
Tales of Symphonia vs Nier -> 1 - 1 TIE
Shining Force 1 vs Power Quest -> 2 - 0 Shining Force 1 WIN
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete vs Demon Souls -> 4 - 3 Lunar Silver Star Story Complete WIN
Tecmo Secret of the Stars vs Beyond the Beyond -> 2 - 0 Tecmo Secret of the Stars WIN
Phantasy Star IV vs Fire Emblem: Awakening -> 3 - 2 Phantasy Star IV WIN
Final Fantasy 4 vs Star Ocean 3: Til the End of Time -> 4 - 3 Final Fantasy 4 WIN
Final Fantasy 9 vs Pokemon Yellow -> 3 - 1 Final Fantasy 9 WIN
Final Fantasy 7 vs Legend of Dragoon -> 5 - 1 Final Fantasy 7 WIN
Final Fantasy 8 vs Pandora's Tower -> 2 - 0 Final Fantasy 8 WIN
Suikoden 2 vs Final Fantasy 6 -> 3 - 7 Final Fantasy 6 WIN
Secret of Mana vs Illusion of Gaia -> 4 - 2 Secret of Mana WIN
Earthbound vs Pokemon Blue -> 3 - 3 TIE
Tales of Xillia 2 vs Star Ocean 4 -> 7 - 0 Tales of Xillia 2 WIN
Lufia 2 vs Lufia 1 -> 4 - 1 Lufia 2 WIN
Granstream Saga vs Valkyrie Profile 2 -> 0 - 3 Valkyrie Profile 2 WIN
Xenosaga Episode 3 vs Lunar Silver Star Harmony -> Xenosaga Episode 3 4 -2 WIN
Ys vs Legend of Heroes (Trails of the Sky and Cold Steel) -> Legend of Heroes 3 -1 WIN
Suikoden 3 vs Parasite Eve -> Parasite Eve 3 -1 WIN
Harvest Moon 64 vs Odin Sphere -> 0 - 0 TIE
FF10 vs FF13 -> 3 - 1 FF10 WIN
Star Ocean 2 vs Tales of Destiny -> 5 - 1 Star Ocean 2 WIN
Xenogears vs Ar Tonelico 2 -> 2 - 2 TIE

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:27:01 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's JRPG battle
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 05:18:50 AM »
LINK398 Alt spotted.

(for reference: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=12387.0)

And like the link linked above, such questions continue to fall flat when you compare two separate series on barely even vague similarities like this.

I mean, which Persona 3 are we even talking about here? Portable or FES (because OG was basically replaced by both of them)? Nevermind the fact that you're comparing a dungeon crawler made a full console generation after a sprite based trad-JRPG (you'd get better mileage trying to compare P3 with Dragon Quarter, and those two are still inherently different beasts (nevermind still not answering the question of which P3 we're talking about)).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 05:35:21 AM »
LINK398 Alt spotted.

(for reference: http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=12387.0)

And like the link linked above, such questions continue to fall flat when you compare two separate series on barely even vague similarities like this.

I mean, which Persona 3 are we even talking about here? Portable or FES (because OG was basically replaced by both of them)? Nevermind the fact that you're comparing a dungeon crawler made a full console generation after a sprite based trad-JRPG (you'd get better mileage trying to compare P3 with Dragon Quarter, and those two are still inherently different beasts (nevermind still not answering the question of which P3 we're talking about)).

Wow cool I was tempted to just copy paste some of that stuff from that thread, although that was 2 generic franchise comparisons I was thinking specific games. Crazy memory there though Aeoli.

Persona 3: FES for PS2, I guess we can be really specific.

And yes I want to compare games even though they are mechanically pretty different, my game my rules =-) I mean they are both JRPGs, we're going pretty much entirely based off overall enjoyment. In fact, I think it's more fun to compare more disparate ones than similar ones.

Like just pure feeling, at the end of the day we're all just fans and kids that get excited about getting into a new game/world etc, so which one pulls in more.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 06:05:31 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:15:30 AM »
actually never played any BoF games, so can't really vote on this.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 10:34:23 AM »
I can't vote either, but I can tell you that I own BoF 3 and am excited to play it someday, while I have no interest in ever playing Persona 3.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
One (Persona 3) is the standard bearer for the franchise and the other isn't

so that's the end of that discussion

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 11:02:52 AM »
I thought P4 Golden was generally considered the best in the series?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
Not for anyone who gets nauseous with the amount of shonen nonsense pumped into it

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »
.....................yeah, I kinda think there's more discussion to be had here. :P

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 01:18:28 PM »
LINK398 Alt spotted.
Holy shit my whole day just went poof after that. The fucking memories yo....

TASTY!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 01:35:46 PM »
One (Persona 3) is the standard bearer for the franchise and the other isn't

so that's the end of that discussion

IDK, some people will argue you on which BoF game ended up being the standard bearer for the BoF series. BoF3 had the better overall plot to BoFIV's superior characters, and Dragon Quarter is a completely different beast altogether.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 03:00:45 PM »
I'm biased because I straight up hate Persona 3 and BoF3 was my first Breath of Fire game and helped me love the series. Also, Rei will forever be the most badass character in a video game for me secretly ever.

TASTY!

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 03:55:37 PM »
i think I like threads like this cause it spurs me to think on what I value in my games and why I really enjoy them.

Both titles in question were great experiences for me but I'm going to undermine nostalgia and my childhood by voting "Persona 3 FES". BoF might have been near and dear to me growing up, but having replayed both of these games in the "not so distant" past again my choice is easy.

I will say BoF3 is my favorite of the BoF franchise and I adore it for a variety of reasons. At the end of the day though, there are waaaaay to many "problems" that are legit frustration factors in BoF3 for it to be my pick. The biggest problem of the whole enchilada is that once you figure out how to break the game through abuse of your battle formation it becomes a snooze fest to say the least.  And don't get me started on end-game or the desert. To expand on my frustration -- fishing mini game -- everything feels SLOW -- navigation of my sprite in environments could be a pain -- FISHING -- SLOW -- completely un-intuitive solutions to things and the masters could easily send a player looking things up on gamefaqs -- oh yea, the game is SLOW AS HECK

Persona 3, while not void of it's own faults to be clear, gets a lot more right then it does wrong. They keep a dungeon crawler interesting by way of characters, writing and pacing for INSANE game length which is a feat in and of itself.  Subjectively speaking, on any given day it competes with P2 for my favorite persona cast. The soundtrack was great. And the truth is, I speak this highly of it when traditional RPG's are my preferred flavor vs. dungeon crawlers and I typically hate ANY type of social sims.

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 08:37:37 PM »
I liked persona 3 but was not really that much of fan of it.  It tried to be too dark for its own good at times, and the cast felt like adults stuck in high schoolers' bodies.   Persona 4 may had been scooby dooish at times, but at least the characters generally acted their ages.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:39:26 PM by Chronix112 »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 01:37:52 AM »
Love how this has turned into a Persona 3 vs 4 debate (PS, 4 wins).

But then, the original BoF was so generic and forgettable what can you even say about it...