Author Topic: Artimicia's JRPG battle

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's JRPG battle
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »
I think I've started SaGa Frontier three times and hated it every time.  It was all just so... baroque and unfriendly.  Again, we're talking 15 years ago, at least, but I just never had any fun with that game, no matter how much I wanted to.

Suikoden 1 I think I spent about 20 minutes on.  Seemed promising, but I had other games and just never got back to it.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2017, 06:27:39 PM »

Suikoden 1 I think I spent about 20 minutes on.  Seemed promising, but I had other games and just never got back to it.

Ohhhhh man, are they the ones that haunt me. If I turn on a game to sample it, identify it is something I want to play and never find the time, it etches its meager beginnings in my mind hardcore. Oddly enough, some of those memories stick with me more than things I've really poured hours into and IT DRIVES ME BONKERS

I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
Hm, so Suiko 1 2 - 0 vs Saga Frontier it seems.

Edit: Ok 3 - 0 Suikoden 1 over Saga Frontier, wowza.

Ok! Pokemon Red vs Super Mario RPG!

vs

Next is Ys I and II Chronicles (remastered Ys I and II) vs Shadow Hearts: Covenant
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:39:43 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2017, 10:45:28 PM »
Super Mario RPG was an absolute gem and I loved almost everything about it.

But pokemon red stumbled onto a formula that's more or less sold hundred of millions of games with very little modification.  As stupid as I think pokemon is, you gotta give red a mountain of money credit for being as influential as it's been.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2017, 11:04:02 PM »
Where the hell are you getting these VS options from? I'm waiting for Earthbound vs Star Ocean 2 next...

TASTY!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2017, 12:11:45 AM »
Where the hell are you getting these VS options from? I'm waiting for Earthbound vs Star Ocean 2 next...

Well they're all JRPGs basically, and ones that I've played, as I stated earlier I wasn't really interested in same franchise comparisons because people do those all the time.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2017, 01:53:40 AM »

Well they're all JRPGs basically, and ones that I've played, as I stated earlier I wasn't really interested in same franchise comparisons because people do those all the time.
I can understand jrpg only, but fucking Pokemon vs Super Mario Rpg? Persona 3 vs BoF3? SaGa Frontier vs Suikoden 1? Wild Arms vs Xenosaga!?!?! I mean jeez, you've got games generations apart for comparing purposes, it's pretty odd. None of those pairings are even somewhat similar really in near any case. It's just so left field...

TASTY!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2017, 02:28:15 AM »

I can understand jrpg only, but fucking Pokemon vs Super Mario Rpg? Persona 3 vs BoF3? SaGa Frontier vs Suikoden 1? Wild Arms vs Xenosaga!?!?! I mean jeez, you've got games generations apart for comparing purposes, it's pretty odd. None of those pairings are even somewhat similar really in near any case. It's just so left field...

Yes and you don't have to play if you don't want to, if it's upsetting to you or whatever.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2017, 10:07:58 AM »

Ohhhhh man, are they the ones that haunt me. If I turn on a game to sample it, identify it is something I want to play and never find the time, it etches its meager beginnings in my mind hardcore. Oddly enough, some of those memories stick with me more than things I've really poured hours into and IT DRIVES ME BONKERS

For as much crap as Suikoden 1 gets I really enjoyed that game. Played it twice.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 10:11:01 AM »
Both Pokemon Red and Super Mario RPG have a lot of things wrong with them, but I'll give it to Mario just because of the soundtrack.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »
All right I think SMRPG and Pokemon Red are tied 1 - 1.

Maybe someone will come in and tiebreak later... but I want to go to the next.

Thanks for the responses at any rate, you guys are putting a bunch of effort into each,

Ok so the next battle (even though as I said votes are ok for past ones I can just update) is Ys Chronicles (the remaster of I and II) vs Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

vs

My next idea is Kingdom Hearts 2 vs Final Fantasy Tactics

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:28:30 PM by Artimicia »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
You mean one of the most ambitious JRPGs on the PS2 vs. a fairly good series' humble and unrefined beginnings?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 02:45:19 PM »
Well, Final Fantasy Tactics is the greatest video game ever made, so.......................

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 02:56:46 PM »
KH2 is a boring "press circle to win" kiddie ARPG.

FFT, even with the shoddy PSX translation, and easily broken battle system, is an absolute masterpiece of epic storytelling.  It's plot is on the level of Romance of the Three Kingdoms (and before the Last of Us, was my favorite plot to any game ever) the amount of twists and turns and "HOLY SHIT" moments would make George RR Martin blush, and it's remake is bar none my favorite SRPG. 

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2017, 02:57:42 PM »
RPGmaker for the PS1 vs Mew Mew Kissy Cutie 2.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.