Author Topic: Artimicia's JRPG battle  (Read 74364 times)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Artimicia's JRPG battle
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2017, 05:19:07 PM »
I'm surprised I've never seen the Tecmo one alongside Mega Man 1 for Bad Box Art Competitions.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
I'm surprised I've never seen the Tecmo one alongside Mega Man 1 for Bad Box Art Competitions.

No kidding. Looks like it's straight out of a low budget 70s/80s Saturday morning 'toon.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2017, 05:30:35 PM »
Beyond the Beyond ...good lord, that is one rpg  I never ever want to play again......Samson's curse.....Kill that game with fire. Tecmo times Infinity is my vote.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »
I'm taking Lunar. Sure it is kind of generic (EB is so much better) but I need a bit of sunshine in my games today.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »
I also vote Lunar, but it's an admittedly biased vote. I have a very soft spot for the series. LOVED it back in the early 90s. I still have my Sega CD copies of both SS and EB. I keep a copy of the Sega CD SS soundtrack on my music player, actually.
Yeah, it's not the most innovative series, but I'd hardly call it "generic trash". There is much worse out there...

Unlimited Saga. Worse game I've ever touched!

I only played some of Saga Frontier 2. God that was awful. I don't know how a game could look so good and yet just be such undeniable trash.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »
Yeah, it's not the most innovative series, but I'd hardly call it "generic trash". There is much worse out there...

I can't argue with this, especially given the current round (or the fact that Kemco still exists).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2017, 12:13:29 AM »
though I don't particularly care for the series, I'll give SaGa credit for taking some chances with its story and gameplay. 

That said, Lunar:SSSC is one of my favor games ever (and isn't even as good as EBC).  It's sort of the precursor to something like Trails in the Sky, rote done right (only MUCH more challenging).

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Mym

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
They're both bottom of the barrel, would never in a million years replay kind of stuff for me, but I'd opt for Secret of the Stars because it's not one I'd consider out and out bad so much as just amazingly mediocre and forgettable. Beyond the Beyond, on the other hand, is far and away one of the worst and least fun JRPGs I've ever played. It does almost nothing right, failing in almost every slight twist it tries to bring to the JRPG formula while also failing to even execute said formula in a remotely appealing way. The character designs are beyond hideous, the story, sprites and map designs make it feel like a project that would come out of someone's very first experiments with something like RPGMaker, the balance and encounter rate are both shoddy, the timed button press system is the most inane and mindless system of its sort I've ever seen, and the decision to saddle you with a cursed party member who is almost entirely useless for an enormous chunk of the game has to go down as one of the most ill advised JRPG design decisions ever. Even the puzzles, which would otherwise have been mostly okay (as someone who loves Lufia 2 and Wild ARMs, puzzle-centric JRPGs are always welcome!), are more often than not marred by the presence of insanely prevalent random encounters in their rooms. About the only semi-respectable thing I could point to about it would be the presence of a big name composer in Motoi Sakuraba, and even then, I find most of the music to be as forgettable as the worst of his catalogue.

I've always felt like traditional turn-based JRPGs are a relatively difficult subgenre to make a truly abysmal game in, as usually if all of the pieces of the formula are in place you'll wind up with something that's at very least a functional, playable, and relatively inoffensive example of the subgenre (as opposed to, say, 2-D platformers, where you don't have to look very hard to find tons of examples of games that are barely even playable, particularly in the NES and SNES eras). And while there are loads of turn-based JRPGs that I think are totally mediocre, there aren't that many I can think of that I would say are out and out disasters, and not that many that I wouldn't have derived at least some level of enjoyment from as a kid when my love of games of that sort was at its peak. Beyond the Beyond, though, is one of a handful of JRPGs of that sort that I would consider to be a genuinely terrible example of the genre. For me, there's very, very little to like about it, even by the standards of mediocre, cookie cutter JRPGs.

Was thinking the same thing. Though I suppose at least the terrible character art was relegated to the box there. With Beyond the Beyond, you had stuff like this every single time the characters spoke.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2017, 06:14:43 PM »
2 - 0 Tecmo Secret of the Stars wins!

The current battle is now

Fire Emblem Awakening vs Phantasy Star IV

vs

The next battle is Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time vs Final Fantasy 4 (or 2, in the US)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:52:17 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
Phantasy Star IV has to be my pick. Both are great celebrations of their respective series' up to that point, but I feel that Awakening didn't come together nearly as well as PS4 did. Also only one of these had a Smug Ancient Space Wizard.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
FE: Awakenings. Its my all time fav portable game.

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2017, 06:22:02 AM »
Phantasy Star IV no contest. Those manga cutscenes are stellar.

ASIDE: I think an interesting battle would be Final Fantasy (series) vs Pokemon (series) since those are the two juggernaut JRPG series.  In that battle, I'd vote Pokemon. (I know Pokemon Red happened in this thread, but this is a different battle of entities).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:23:43 AM by Dincrest »
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
Phantasy Star IV has my vote. It's my favorite of the PS series, and one of my favorite 16-bit era JRPGs overall. The only Fire Emblem I've played was Path of Radiance, which I did finish. It's a well made game, but I've never been much for tactical/strategy RPGs. ...except for FFT. Love that game.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2017, 10:53:19 AM »
Fire Emblem here.  Never played Phantasy Star IV, but it's on my list.  Awakening was a really fun game with fun characters and cool mechanics, though.  It's the reason I bought my 2DS.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2017, 04:49:47 PM »
3 - 2 Phantasy Star 4 over FE: Awakening.

The current battle is now Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time vs SNES US Final Fantasy 2 (Final Fantasy 4)

vs

Next battle is Final Fantasy 9 vs Pokemon Yellow
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:04:18 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.