Author Topic: Final Fantasy VIII help

LINK398

• View Profile
Final Fantasy VIII help
« on: December 31, 2016, 04:10:52 PM »
After completing Final Fantasy XV and liking basically everything about it except the main storyline I decided to go back and play the one game in the series Ive had on the shelf for the longest and initially wrote off when I got it. So far I really like this one however I got stuck on a boss. First occasion getting stuck by the way but its the sorceress adel that is sort of difficult and I cant finish the battle. Ive read some strategies on gamefaqs but was looking for some more options as far as junctions.

Some information regarding characters and such.

For some reason squall is around level 40 while every other character are in the level 20's probably because he has taken down the most enemies. I think its how the experience system in this game works correct me please if thats wrong. I noticed this a while back and tried to use other characters in order to level them up more however I know this game isnt primarily based on the levels of your characters as the game scales the battles to whatever level the player is at.

Second the only guardian force that were acquired are the first three in the game that are unavoidable plus cerberus brothers carbuncle as I was going for a more straight forward approach through the game and did not want to get involved in many side quests. (Seems like a bad choice at this point) lastly at this point of the game at disc 4 before this particular boss fight leaving the place is not an option.

What are some of the better junction set ups given what I have to play with. I can give more information on what magic I have and other stats if that would help. any possibility to draw the magic that would work best against the boss in this dungeon

If I havent responded immediately that doesnt mean I have not read the post as I will be trying different combinations in the game and reply what seems to work the best

Thanks

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VIII help
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 04:12:27 PM »
spooky

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 07:26:15 PM »
After completing Final Fantasy XV and liking basically everything about it except the main storyline I decided to go back and play the one game in the series Ive had on the shelf for the longest and initially wrote off when I got it. So far I really like this one however I got stuck on a boss. First occasion getting stuck by the way but its the sorceress adel that is sort of difficult and I cant finish the battle. Ive read some strategies on gamefaqs but was looking for some more options as far as junctions.

Some information regarding characters and such.

For some reason squall is around level 40 while every other character are in the level 20's probably because he has taken down the most enemies. I think its how the experience system in this game works correct me please if thats wrong. I noticed this a while back and tried to use other characters in order to level them up more however I know this game isnt primarily based on the levels of your characters as the game scales the battles to whatever level the player is at.

Second the only guardian force that were acquired are the first three in the game that are unavoidable plus cerberus brothers carbuncle as I was going for a more straight forward approach through the game and did not want to get involved in many side quests. (Seems like a bad choice at this point) lastly at this point of the game at disc 4 before this particular boss fight leaving the place is not an option.

What are some of the better junction set ups given what I have to play with. I can give more information on what magic I have and other stats if that would help. any possibility to draw the magic that would work best against the boss in this dungeon

If I havent responded immediately that doesnt mean I have not read the post as I will be trying different combinations in the game and reply what seems to work the best

Thanks

Oh you bet get busy leveling up all your other characters for the final boss. I only had 4 leveled up and the final boss took me a month to beat.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 07:36:42 PM »
Oh you bet get busy leveling up all your other characters for the final boss. I only had 4 leveled up and the final boss took me a month to beat.

FFVIII has enemy scaling and overall the monsters get much stronger than you with every level.
Grinding or leveling is not something you want in this game.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 09:21:23 PM »
I kind of think everyone makes too big of a deal out of the level scaling.  FFVIII is probably the only FF game I ever played in which my characters actually reached level 99 and I had no trouble beating it.  It's just not that hard of a game to begin with...

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »
spooky

I feel responsible for this outcome somehow (that or I called it).

That being said, yes. The character that scores the kill is the one who gets a boost to experience at the end of battle. Squall tends to end up this way due to being constantly available and he even inherits Laguna's exp gains from the flashback sequences. As for your available GFs, the good news is that you can still gain Diabolos right now just by using the Cursed Lamp. The even better news is that you can still get all the GFs you've missed thus far (Siren, Leviathan, Pandemona, hopefully not Alexander yet (as you get him from the boss you're posting about)). The bad news is that your next and last shot for all of those missed GFs are from bosses in Ultimecia's Castle on Disk Four. Worse news is that you're missing some really good Refine skills (Siren's Life Mag R is one of the best sources of Curaga and can be gotten hella early, Diabolos' ST and Time Mag Rs are also fairly good for spell generation purposes).

As for Edea, your best bet would be to Junction Carbunkle, Cerberus, and Diabolos (if you decide to get him) to separate people, as each of them confers the Ability x3 skill which enables your characters to junction a third Passive Ability instead of the standard two. Next, I'd highly recommend giving Squall Ifrit, Brothers and Carbunkle as they should've been around long enough to pick up Str+40%, HP+80% (or at least HP+40%), and the Elem-Def-Jx2 and ST-Def-Jx2 skills. This should give Squall a solid set of offensive and defensive options for Edea.

For Squall's Passives, he should equip Str+40%, HP+80% (or failing that HP+40%), and either Str+20% or Shiva's Spr+40% for his 3 Passive Abilities. He should also have the ability to Junction to every important stat for this battle with a setup of Ifrit, Brothers and Carbunkle (i.e. HP-J, Str-J, Mag-J, Vit-J, Spr-J, Elem-Att-J, Elem-Def-Jx2, ST-Att-J, & ST-Def-Jx2). Prioritize your Junctions with Str-J, Spr-J, HP-J, Elem-Def-Jx2, ST-Def-Jx2, Vit-J. For ST-Att-J, try giving Squall Drain or Silence and see what happens, and for Elem-Def-Jx2, I'd prioritize spells that cover multiple elements and especially Ice since Edea's Limit Break utilizes those Ice Spears that she impaled Squall on back at the end of Disk 1.

Your other characters are unfortunately going to be left in Squall's dust given the fact that you're missing some important GFs. Pandemona for instance would be a second source of Str+20/40% which would help set up a second attacker (like Zell or Irving), and had you gotten Diabolos earlier, he could've granted you access to a second set of HP+20/40/80% and Mag+20/40% (or more importantly Enc-None). So basically, you'll want your non-Squall characters armed with Item or Magic and both should be armed with Draw and have their Junctions allocated towards Mag-J and Mag+40% (whomever has Quezacotl will be ideal for this) since you'll want to Draw Alexander and whatever nice spells Edea might have, followed by HP-J, Spr-J and Str-J to keep them standing for whatever kind of support they might be able to provide.

At any rate, I wouldn't be Summoning anymore since you have plenty of tools to outpace their damage by now.

I kind of think everyone makes too big of a deal out of the level scaling.  FFVIII is probably the only FF game I ever played in which my characters actually reached level 99 and I had no trouble beating it.  It's just not that hard of a game to begin with...

Only Level 99? I've gotten my one complete playthrough's team up to Level 100.

The problem with level scaling is the HP bloat as your damage caps out at 9999 per hit (baring Eden's 99999 for what little its worth) and end/post game enemies' HP totals start reaching 6 or 7 digits at level 100. Even simple fights turn into a slog without Junctioning a bunch of buffs to Strength and Speed as well as Auto-Haste to your best attacker (and you still can't help the combat animations).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 11:48:43 PM »
The main thing I remember about FF8 is that (spoilers) once you fight Squall later draw aura off of him the whole time and then junction that to everything you can to be superpowerful (and also save some auras)

Basically the late game is all about Aura.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 12:27:50 AM »
I remember doing Lionheart on the second final boss and defeating that boss and the next boss in one hit (The boss died, and then the next boss battle started but then immediately went into that boss' death cutscene) and that was with everyone at 100. So yeah, Level scaling doesn't really have an adverse effect on the difficulty of the game unless you outlevel the content (i.e. you're level 75+ but still have everyone's first weapon or something) or fail miserably at junctioning.

My point is FF8's battle system is even dumber than FF2.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 12:36:32 AM »
The main thing I remember about FF8 is that
Code: [Select]
once you fight SEIFER later draw aura off of him the whole time and then junction that to everything you can to be superpowerful (and also save some auras)
Aura doesn't make every stat superpowered, ultima does that. Late game, you wanna junction magic to stats it will boost effectively (like curaga to hp, meltdown to vitality, haste to speed, etc) in order to effectively boost stats. Ultima should be junctioned to whichever stat you want to make sure is maxed (generally strength since magic in ffviii is a joke to actually use aside from aura). Also, avoid junctioning triple and aura assuming you have stock of each and want them for use, as triple is hugely effective for multicasting aura and aura means limits asap.

Oh, and you should be absolutely sure to have Squall's ultimate weapon asap. Lionheart reduces the stupidity of fights a great deal.

As for link's problem with Adel, congrats on making the fight stupidly hard by ignoring everything in the game. Best I can tell you is focus on using Irvine for the fight since Squall could accidentally nail the innocent bystander with his LB. Fast ammo and go to town with him. Str and hp/vit are your friend, with spr up there (mage user) and spd if you have any junction ability for it. For the record, I get minimalist playthroughs if you are well versed with the game and looking for a challenge, but you're using a guide and asking for help...why not play for completionist purposes first and then use your accrued knowledge of the game and attenot a dopey limited content/stats/gf challenge thing?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 12:38:04 AM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 01:42:03 AM »
The main thing I remember about FF8 is that
once you fight SEIFER later draw aura off of him the whole time and then junction that to everything you can to be superpowerful (and also save some auras)
Aura doesn't make every stat superpowered, ultima does that. Late game, you wanna junction magic to stats it will boost effectively (like curaga to hp, meltdown to vitality, haste to speed, etc) in order to effectively boost stats. Ultima should be junctioned to whichever stat you want to make sure is maxed (generally strength since magic in ffviii is a joke to actually use aside from aura). Also, avoid junctioning triple and aura assuming you have stock of each and want them for use, as triple is hugely effective for multicasting aura and aura means limits asap.

Oh, and you should be absolutely sure to have Squall's ultimate weapon asap. Lionheart reduces the stupidity of fights a great deal.

As for link's problem with Adel, congrats on making the fight stupidly hard by ignoring everything in the game. Best I can tell you is focus on using Irvine for the fight since Squall could accidentally nail the innocent bystander with his LB. Fast ammo and go to town with him. Str and hp/vit are your friend, with spr up there (mage user) and spd if you have any junction ability for it. For the record, I get minimalist playthroughs if you are well versed with the game and looking for a challenge, but you're using a guide and asking for help...why not play for completionist purposes first and then use your accrued knowledge of the game and attenot a dopey limited content/stats/gf challenge thing?

Oh god, I thought he was stuck on Disk 2's final boss. Lol, no he's hyper fucked there. Even if he gets through it, he'll be stuck on Disk 4 with all its useless encounters and shut down sidequests/cities. He won't even be able to buy anything outside of Balmb Garden unless he tracks down Tonberry, and his only source for the really good items are from Cards now. Hell, I'm surprised he even managed Brother, Carbunkle and Cerberus.

Factoring that brand new revelation in, I'd say, take my earlier posted strategy, find and replace all instances of Squall's name with Irvine and all instances of Edea's name with Adel, and use that instead. Use Pulse Ammo since there's no point in trying to spare some now, or failing to even have that as an option, Fast Ammo.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »

FFVIII has enemy scaling and overall the monsters get much stronger than you with every level.
Grinding or leveling is not something you want in this game.

My problem was

Spoiler: show
I was stuck with a few party members with about 1000 hp and and when the final boss did that Most powerful gf thing my party would get obliterated. I had to time my GFs just right to absorb the damage for my cannon fodder players. Once i finally did that it was pretty easy I just casted Holy for the rest of the fight.

danholo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 10:22:43 AM »
Farm enough spells to buff your stats by using the Junction system. At first it's easiest to focus on three characters so you can get all stats to be upgraded, because Eidolons initially have only a few of the Stat Junctions available. Buff up str, speed, mag/phys defenses and any element at that point. Use the strongest spells at that point in the game for junctioning and change to new more powerful one's when they become available. You'll be able to draw spells from enemies in your current area you are in during the game.

At the end you'll be spamming limit breaks and the only spells you'll be using are Aura, Double/Triple, healing spells (if you are out of items) and Maelstrom. Everything else is to keep up your stats. You won't be having a hard time with the game when you understand the Junction system. I haven't played the game in 15 years or so but I remember that my first playthrough was very difficult because I didn't understand the battle system. When I got into it, the game was extremely fun and the system quite clever. At the end, if you put enough time into it, you'll be able to get all characters to max stats easily when you upgrade eidolon's with new junction abilities.

You'll be able to beat all enemies/bosses (except maybe Omega Weapon) extremely easily. Adel will be unable to hurt you at this point, doing measly damage.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 10:31:25 AM by danholo »
d.h.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 11:08:55 AM »
Farm enough spells to buff your stats by using the Junction system. At first it's easiest to focus on three characters so you can get all stats to be upgraded, because Eidolons initially have only a few of the Stat Junctions available. Buff up str, speed, mag/phys defenses and any element at that point. Use the strongest spells at that point in the game for junctioning and change to new more powerful one's when they become available. You'll be able to draw spells from enemies in your current area you are in during the game.

At the end you'll be spamming limit breaks and the only spells you'll be using are Aura, Double/Triple, healing spells (if you are out of items) and Maelstrom. Everything else is to keep up your stats. You won't be having a hard time with the game when you understand the Junction system. I haven't played the game in 15 years or so but I remember that my first playthrough was very difficult because I didn't understand the battle system. When I got into it, the game was extremely fun and the system quite clever. At the end, if you put enough time into it, you'll be able to get all characters to max stats easily when you upgrade eidolon's with new junction abilities.

You'll be able to beat all enemies/bosses (except maybe Omega Weapon) extremely easily. Adel will be unable to hurt you at this point, doing measly damage.

Don't forget about Adel's gimmick of strapping Riona to her crotch. Indiscriminate blasting and LBing will get Riona killed long before Adel goes down and its an auto Game Over if she eats it that fight.

He's also between Adel and Seifer on top of having very few good resources, so he can't leave to farm for more. He could get the Diabolos GF, but none of its locked abilities will be available without farming some serious AP, and on top of that he's for all intents and purposes permanently locked himself out of Doomtrain and Gilgamesh (though Odin is probably slightly better at the end of the day because you'll immediately know if he's kicking in or not). Beyond that he only has six GFs available to him at this point (versus all but Bahamut and Eden that a normal playthrough would have by now) and probably very few good spells due to lacking most of the game's Refine abilities.

Even if he wins, his options will still suck due to being stranded on Disk 4 without having done much sidequesting prior to that point. Also
ahahahaha at him when he gets past this fight and see exactly what I'm talking about. When he gets to Ultimecia's Castle in the near future, he really needs to prioritize unlocking Draw since he really needs those GFs.

LINK398

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 11:59:41 AM »
Im going to try a combination of some of the junctions mentioned however I think im going to get a second file ready because unfortunately I did not know that I could not go back in the game before I got to disc 4 and honestly I had no idea that I was getting towards finishing the game. Yeah I know that I was on the last disc but I had just started playing from it plus im guessing that I enjoyed the game so much that I didnt realize how long I played or how far I really was in the game.

It actually didnt feel like a chore to get through unlike many of the RPG's ive played over the last decade and in that sense the game renewed my interest in the genre.

In this sense it reminded me of Final Fantasy VII because the third disc in that game was basically the final dungeon however it was possible to go back to previous visited spots.

By the way all throughout the game Im thinking "man why do I have so few guardian force and where are they" as I kept drawing from almost every boss throughout the main storyline in the game. Another thing was the weapon upgrades as I had the books that upgraded every character pretty much every level but was always missing like one of the materials to actually craft them. I figured I would come across the items as I went through the game and fought regular battles. As I now know I was very wrong.

LINK398

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
So what I ended up doing was fixing some of the way the characters were junctioned while also drawing spells like regen until 100 of them were in the inventory and a few other minor fixes but I ended up defeating the boss first try. After that a scene occurred and I fought another boss that was also defeated. Basically Im right outside the castle. What powerful spells are going to be able to be drawn from inside the dungeon and what bosses are the missed guardian force available. By the way is their a possibility of buying new items? Ive read that the ship is still accessible and an item shop as well as a weapon upgrade shop is on it. If so where is it and is it possible to get the supplies needed to upgrade the weapons for the characters at this point thanks