Author Topic: Final Fantasy VIII help

LINK398

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VIII help
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 02:22:22 PM »
Forgot to add this

Even though Im so close to finishing the game does anybody recommend starting the game over at this point and can the party use guardian force against the final boss? what are some of the most difficult things the last boss does

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »
Im going to try a combination of some of the junctions mentioned however I think im going to get a second file ready because unfortunately I did not know that I could not go back in the game before I got to disc 4 and honestly I had no idea that I was getting towards finishing the game. Yeah I know that I was on the last disc but I had just started playing from it plus im guessing that I enjoyed the game so much that I didnt realize how long I played or how far I really was in the game.

It actually didnt feel like a chore to get through unlike many of the RPG's ive played over the last decade and in that sense the game renewed my interest in the genre.

In this sense it reminded me of Final Fantasy VII because the third disc in that game was basically the final dungeon however it was possible to go back to previous visited spots.

By the way all throughout the game Im thinking "man why do I have so few guardian force and where are they" as I kept drawing from almost every boss throughout the main storyline in the game. Another thing was the weapon upgrades as I had the books that upgraded every character pretty much every level but was always missing like one of the materials to actually craft them. I figured I would come across the items as I went through the game and fought regular battles. As I now know I was very wrong.

Here's a handy list of Bosses you can find GFs on:
Ifrit: Ifrit. Ifrit's Cave, Disk 1
Siren: Elvoret. Attack on Dollet, Disk 1/ Tri-Point. Ultimecia's Castle, Disk 4
Diabolos: Diabolos. Use Cursed Lamp
Brothers: Brothers. King's Tomb Sidequest
Carbunkle: Iguion. Assassination of Edea, Disk 1/ Krysta. Ultimecia's Castle, Disk 4
Leviathan: NORG. NORG's uprising, Disk 2/ Trauma. Ultimecia's Castle, Disk 4
Pandemona: Fujin. Liberation of Balmb, Disk 2/ Red Giant. Ultimecia's Castle, Disk 4
Cerberus: Cerberus. Battle between Gardens, Disk 2/ Gargantua. Ultimecia's Castle, Disk 4
Alexander: Edea. Battle between Gardens, Disk 2/ Catoblepas. Ultimecia's Castle, Disk 4
Gilgamesh: Seifer. Attack on Lunatic Pandora, Disk 3 (Requires Odin)
Bahamut: Bahamut. Deep Sea Research Station, Disk 4
Eden: Ultima Weapon. Deep Sea Research Station, Disk 4/ Tiamat. Ultimecia's Castle, Disk 4
Cactuar: Giant Cactuar. Cactuar Island, Disks 3 & 4
Tonberry: Tonberry King. Centra Ruins Sidequest (Requires defeating 20 Tonberries)
Odin: Odin. Centra Ruins Sidequest

Ifrit, Diabolos, Brothers, Cerberus, Odin and Bahamut are all bosses that you need to beat to get their GF (and TTC), Cerberus is the only optional one of these that's missable due to being an optional fight in the middle of a one-time plot sequence, and thus is the only one offered from the Ultimecia's Castle Boss Rush.

Likewise; Siren, Carbunkle, Leviathan, Pandemona, Alexander and Eden all need to be Drawn from non-GF Bosses. You're given two shots for all of them, but ideally you should get them on your first pass (as Disk 1 is quite a ways away from Disk 4 and availability is a rather huge thing).

Diabolos, Cactuar and Tonberry can be gotten at any time once you have access to Ragnarok (and Diabolos even sooner still) and remain accessible even into Disk 4.

Odin can be gotten at any time as well, but you need to bring him to your final fight with Seifer in order to obtain his upgrade Gilgamesh. Odin & Gilgamesh don't offer any of the usual GF abilities though. So its no great loss to not have either.

Doomtrain is the other missable one and not listed due to being obtained from an item called Solomon's Ring. To obtain Solomon's Ring, you need to investigate Tear's Point (which IIRC becomes blocked off by Disk 4, which is one of the reasons why Disk 4 sucks so much as Tear's Point would otherwise be a good grinding spot for Energy Crystals which are required for top tier weapons and Pulse Ammo). In addition to the ring itself, you also need 6 Steel Pipes (doable, even if you have to Card Mod for them), 6 Malboro Tentacles (also doable, although getting them sucks) and 6 Remedy+ (you need Alexander's Med LV Up for this, no two ways about it). Though as long as you have the Ring, it should be doable as long as you remember to Draw Alexander.

For Shops, you really, really need the Tonberry GF since he comes with a bunch of Shopping related Abilities like Call Shop (which lets you shop from any previously visited Shop in the game), Haggle (buy items for less Gil), Sell High (increases resale value) and Familiar (improves shop inventories).

As for Spells and Weapon Upgrades, there are far better sources of top tier stuffs as long as you have Diabolos and his Enc-None ability. If you go back to the world map and find the western most and eastern most islands, you'll find a bunch of invisible draw points as you walk around. You'll know the islands if you either look in your Menu Screen and find your location name either to be 'Island Closest to Heaven' or 'Island Closest to Hell', or alternatively you forget to put on Enc-None and get into a random encounter (save before doing this as you will get wiped in your current state). These islands are also a good place for Enemy Drops (provided you can actually win against any of the enemies there) which are generally what you need to upgrade weapons with (I should note, that you only really need to upgrade Squall's Gunblade to Lionheart as every other weapon offers only very minor incremental damage & accuracy upgrades and generally aren't worth the resources).

As for the Last Boss, you will not be able to Summon GFs after the first phase (as they will get countered and insta-wiped). Not that you should at this point since your stats should be high enough to outpace the damage through simple Attacking. Seriously, just beat the game already. You're practically there anyways.

Also there's this thing called the Edit button. Try using it sometime.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

LINK398

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 03:18:37 PM »
Sorry didnt notice the modify button.

So basically at this point I can still go out to the world map and draw all the magic I need to junction characters probably if I understand correctly.

Also searching through this guide it seems I might follow a few parts of this specific part of the guide as I dont like using guides while playing a game. One question though I dont really understand what the guide means by recommending the two paths if the guardian force eden was drawn yet. Why not take the more "regular way" as the guide describes and get it a bit later thats the second path by the way.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/72431?page=7#Ultimecia%20Castle

Also any recommendations for unlocking the abilities in a certain order especially since Im going to draw many of the guardian force from this dungeon and than level them up and let the characters learn as many abilities as possible.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 09:00:01 PM »
Sorry didnt notice the modify button.

So basically at this point I can still go out to the world map and draw all the magic I need to junction characters probably if I understand correctly.

Also searching through this guide it seems I might follow a few parts of this specific part of the guide as I dont like using guides while playing a game. One question though I dont really understand what the guide means by recommending the two paths if the guardian force eden was drawn yet. Why not take the more "regular way" as the guide describes and get it a bit later thats the second path by the way.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/72431?page=7#Ultimecia%20Castle

Also any recommendations for unlocking the abilities in a certain order especially since Im going to draw many of the guardian force from this dungeon and than level them up and let the characters learn as many abilities as possible.

Basically, there's a puzzle in the Deep Sea Research Station that's required to complete in order to access the lower levels where Ultima Weapon is. The problem though is that you only get one shot at solving it otherwise you need to reload and try again (though you should save right after getting through Bahamut either way). There's also an alternative way past the puzzle involving Zell, but using his way unleashes an assload of Ruby Dragons to fight and they suck to fight (they're the most guilty at jacking their HP totals through the roof at higher levels and their rewards aren't particularly good unless you're very lucky and they're high level).

As for ability unlocking, that's what Cactuar Island is for. Cactuars aren't worth much if any Exp, and crap bricks of AP. I'd also recommend going for Boost as well as Summon Magic+% and GFHP+% abilities dead last as they aren't worth a thing at this point. And hell, you could replace some of those with Auto-Haste or something actually useful.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 12:32:28 AM »
Only thing to watch out for in the final battle is Apocalypse, which reduces your entire party to 1 hp. Pretty easy to counter with one of Leviathan's abilities (can't remember the name), Selphie's limit, or a megalixer.

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 03:30:17 AM »
Keep your levels low, use scan and the card ability to transform enemies into cards instead of defeating them (avoids the EXP climb), power up your GFs, draw as much magic of each type as possible, and go nuts.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 05:55:50 AM »
Keep your levels low, use scan and the card ability to transform enemies into cards instead of defeating them (avoids the EXP climb), power up your GFs, draw as much magic of each type as possible, and go nuts.

Code: [Select]
He's already at Ultimecia's Castle/Deep Sea Research Station.

LINK398

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 06:22:27 PM »
This is what I meant when referring to that guide copy and paste

The Eden Path: If you lack Eden, you can unlock Draw and head straight for Tiamat. Tiamat is located in the clock tower near the end of this dungeon in a semi-hidden balcony. To get there, go through the door Sphinxaur was blocking. Step on the chandelier to make it fall, then follow the linear path northward to a chapel (check around the fountain for the Treasure Vault Key). Go up the stairs. On the bridge here, walk (don't run) and grab the Armory Key while you're here (this will make life easier for you later), then ascend the clock tower until you see a pendulum-like device. Get near it and mash X to ride it to the other side, then click here for information about the Tiamat fight. Be sure to Draw Eden, then, once you're done, unlock Magic and return to the main hall and continue with the Canon Path. I recommend this method unless you already have Eden. (Tiamat is a cakewalk with proper Elem-Def, and you can equip Enc-None if you're having difficulties with the random encounters.)

The Canon Path: This is a more traditional progression, slowly working your way towards the end of the area (ideal if you already Drew Eden). If you lack Siren, and haven't unlocked it already to fight Tiamat, unlock Draw, otherwise unlock Magic. Either way, continue your game below.

Why not follow the second path if its the more "normal" path as every guardian force can be drawn from the bosses anyway. I dont understand why the first path is necessary if the player can draw that guardian force later on through the dungeon anyway.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »
This is what I meant when referring to that guide copy and paste

The Eden Path: If you lack Eden, you can unlock Draw and head straight for Tiamat. Tiamat is located in the clock tower near the end of this dungeon in a semi-hidden balcony. To get there, go through the door Sphinxaur was blocking. Step on the chandelier to make it fall, then follow the linear path northward to a chapel (check around the fountain for the Treasure Vault Key). Go up the stairs. On the bridge here, walk (don't run) and grab the Armory Key while you're here (this will make life easier for you later), then ascend the clock tower until you see a pendulum-like device. Get near it and mash X to ride it to the other side, then click here for information about the Tiamat fight. Be sure to Draw Eden, then, once you're done, unlock Magic and return to the main hall and continue with the Canon Path. I recommend this method unless you already have Eden. (Tiamat is a cakewalk with proper Elem-Def, and you can equip Enc-None if you're having difficulties with the random encounters.)

The Canon Path: This is a more traditional progression, slowly working your way towards the end of the area (ideal if you already Drew Eden). If you lack Siren, and haven't unlocked it already to fight Tiamat, unlock Draw, otherwise unlock Magic. Either way, continue your game below.

Why not follow the second path if its the more "normal" path as every guardian force can be drawn from the bosses anyway. I dont understand why the first path is necessary if the player can draw that guardian force later on through the dungeon anyway.

What you're doing is taking that guide way too seriously as most JRPG 'guides' expect you to play the game in the exact same way that the guide writer did. What's important to know is which abilities are your priority ones for unlocking (the effect doesn't even last outside of the dungeon, its just a glorified rule set for a Megaman style Boss Rush (minus the return of earlier bosses)) and which bosses do you want to tackle. The answer in your case is #1 priority on Draw, and fight every boss (that isn't Omega Weapon, because he's the game's resident super boss) because you missed so many GFs.

LINK398

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 05:18:11 PM »
An update so anyway I managed to get all of the guardian force from that dungeon that I wanted to get and didnt really follow the guide. I am trying to strengthen them by fighting the cactuar since they give a lot of AP however Im also trying to get at least one weapon upgrade for Squall and Irvine as well as Zell third upgrade. Even though apparently the weapon upgrades dont help to much with increasing damage all of the characters attack with such little damage while Squall hits in the thousands. He is also level 50 and the others are closer to 30 and a little under that so I dont want to have Squall level anymore. Even with powerful magic junctioned the other characters dont hit for a lot of damage. Also as for the card thing I havent played the card game much in this game and dont plan on it. As far as refining cards into parts for weapons how is that possible? Is it a skill that is learned by a guardian force at a high level or something

EDIT: I have most of the powerful spells in the game and 100 of each for mostly every character the magic that Im mostly looking to get more of are things like  Holy,Flare,Meteor,Full,Aura,Ultima,Pain,Meltdown and others that might be recommended. Especially aura cant find that anyplace by the way since I mentioned recommendations how about more specific guardian force abilities and skills that should be unlocked first/are basically essential. I dont plan on leveling these guys 100-70 thats a lot of training lol

These are the Guardian Force that I managed to get and really dont want to have to get anymore unless its absolutely necessary Quetzacotl,Shiva,Ifrit,Siren,Brothers,Carbuncle,Eden,Leviathan,Cerberus,Odin
As for the castle these abilities were unlocked  Magic,Guardian Force,Revive,Item,Draw
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:53:47 PM by LINK398 »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 10:25:45 PM »
An update so anyway I managed to get all of the guardian force from that dungeon that I wanted to get and didnt really follow the guide. I am trying to strengthen them by fighting the cactuar since they give a lot of AP however Im also trying to get at least one weapon upgrade for Squall and Irvine as well as Zell third upgrade. Even though apparently the weapon upgrades dont help to much with increasing damage all of the characters attack with such little damage while Squall hits in the thousands. He is also level 50 and the others are closer to 30 and a little under that so I dont want to have Squall level anymore. Even with powerful magic junctioned the other characters dont hit for a lot of damage. Also as for the card thing I havent played the card game much in this game and dont plan on it. As far as refining cards into parts for weapons how is that possible? Is it a skill that is learned by a guardian force at a high level or something

EDIT: I have most of the powerful spells in the game and 100 of each for mostly every character the magic that Im mostly looking to get more of are things like  Holy,Flare,Meteor,Full,Aura,Ultima,Pain,Meltdown and others that might be recommended. Especially aura cant find that anyplace by the way since I mentioned recommendations how about more specific guardian force abilities and skills that should be unlocked first/are basically essential. I dont plan on leveling these guys 100-70 thats a lot of training lol

These are the Guardian Force that I managed to get and really dont want to have to get anymore unless its absolutely necessary Quetzacotl,Shiva,Ifrit,Siren,Brothers,Carbuncle,Eden,Leviathan,Cerberus,Odin
As for the castle these abilities were unlocked  Magic,Guardian Force,Revive,Item,Draw

Card Mod is what you need to refine stuff out of cards. To learn it, Quezatol needs to first master the Card command. It takes 120 AP total to unlock Card Mod. BTW, the Command 'Card' allows you to turn enemies into Cards. By turning enemies into Cards, you gain their card along with their AP and Items. All you miss out on is Exp. This and Enc-None are how you keep your levels low during a playthrough.

The big reason why your characters aren't hitting for a lot of damage is likely due to you not also Junctioning the Str+XX% Abilities onto your attackers. That plus Str-J are what you need to really augment your damage. Meltdown also helps as it inflicts the Meltdown status effect which drops enemy Vit and Spr to 0. Meltdown is also the reason why you want to get the Doomtrain GF as it has a 100% chance of inflicting Meltdown on anything not totally immune to the status (and a bunch of other status effects, its the best attacking GF in the game).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »
Aeolus, are you telling me bosses can be turned into cards or am I reading you incorrectly?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »
You can't card bosses, but you can get their cards in otherways. For example you get the Brothers card when you beat the Brothers in the Tomb of the Unknown King, which can then be card modded.

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
Sorry, it was this bit:

the Command 'Card' allows you to turn enemies into Cards. By turning enemies into Cards, you gain their card along with their AP and Items. All you miss out on is Exp. This and Enc-None are how you keep your levels low during a playthrough.

Made me think that you can card bosses.

However, VIII is when they started giving 0 exp for bosses anyways, right?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »
You can't card bosses, but you can get their cards in otherways. For example you get the Brothers card when you beat the Brothers in the Tomb of the Unknown King, which can then be card modded.

This basically. Besides, you don't get Exp from Boss Fights anyways so there's no need to card them.

As for how you get cards, its broken down into the four types of cards in the game. Levels 1-5 are of your garden variety trash mobs (with a few exceptions at level 5) and can be acquired through the Card Command or by winning Triple Triad matches. Levels 6 & 7 are Bosses which are largely obtained by winning TT. Levels 8 & 9 are GF Cards which are either won through defeating their respective GFs or through one of the TT sidequests. Level 10 are Character Cards, all of which refine into some crazy ass shit and each of them can only be obtained through basically their own little sidequests (some of which are only available for a tiny window at best). You can only Card the first set.

There are four major sidequests in the game that are tied to obtaining rare cards. The CC sidequest (which takes place in Balamb Garden), the Card Queen sidequest (which is a running sidequest that runs the entire game and even involves losing some cards to unlock others), the Chocobo Forest sidequest (nets you the Chickabo GF Card), and the UFO siting quest (for that one Level 5 card that can't be obtained through normal means).