Author Topic: 2017 Backlog Journey

missRPGirl

• View Profile
2017 Backlog Journey
« on: January 03, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »
I think for 2017 I will start my backlog journey. You know you have a problem when someone ask what's your top 10 games of 2016 and your wondering if you even played 10 games =.=

New goal: Finish at least 10 games. I plan on finishing 10 games and blogging about it in here and make video reviews of all or most of them.

I'm not sure how much details I should give seen the other post people have made as an example.

Games that I would like to finish:
  • Syberia 3 - Played the first one didn't finish the second one. One of the best point-and-click games I've ever played. The game was originally announced for December 2016 but got pushed back to Q1 2017
  • I am Setsuna - An alright game I'm right at the end so I need to finish this game.
  • Ara Fell - Played so far 2 hours of the game. So far its going well. I plan on writing a review for it on GameFAQ's, an FAQ guide and a video review (yeah big project).At least its an indie game.
  • Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana - I'm probably 6 hours into this game
  • Suikoden Tierkreis - 3 or 4 hours into this game
  • Suikoden II - Maybe 5 hours into this game
  • Final Fantasy VIII - I don't know why I cant finish this game. Kinda sad must of started the game 3 or 4 times and never finish it
  • Start the Ys series - Played none of them
  • Start Agarest series - Played the intro to the first one and that was it
  • Shadow Hearts: From the New World - Just so I can complete the trilogy
  • Arc the Lad II - Played maybe 8 hours
  • Trails in the Sky SC - Started maybe 4 hours or less.
  • Xanadu Next- saw it on steam and looks cool
  • Silence - A point-and-click game that looks really good

I'm sure there will be other games that will distract me this year. Mostly Syberia 3 (whenever that is) and the new Dragon Quest. 2016 no lie was pretty good for RPG's so I'm thinking 2017 will be a little less chilled and maybe I can do some catch up.

Anyway currently playing FFV (streaming that one Wednesday) and Ara Fell.

FFV is alright. I don't hate it but I can see how its one of the forgotten Final Fantasies. My favourite character in that game in Galuf. Biggest gripe the worlds could of looked a little different.

Ara Fell - So far game is alright. The character drawings are a little bleh but its kind of a cute game. And the controls totally wonky. I keep running in to everything. Like the whole floating island aspect. Pretty original haven't played a game like that with that environment.

Lot of other little interesting things too. Apples increase your HP by 5 I think permanently. There's room to explore even in peoples homes. The bookcases have lore and you can find chest in different places like homes, near rivers, farms, etc. I thought it was silly in Trail of the Sky there were items that look like treasure chest but totally wasn't =.=

missRPGirl

• View Profile
Re: 2017 Backlog Journey
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »
Played more of FFV last night. I'm gonna have to look up ways to beat Exdeath in the second world because I tried 3 times and the guy is insane. Maybe its just me but I feel like this game boss fights are so ridiculous. This is one of those game where I am constantly seeing the game over screen (it doesn't say game over it just takes me to the main menu, but still you get what I mean). The boss fights are seriously a pain. Current party members job are archer because I got a bow that can shoot multiple times (4 times I think). Samurai because they do a lot of basic attack damage but also because they have zeninage (basically coin toss or gil toss as you may know it) which does like 2,100 damage. Then I have two time mages. Faris as my time mage usually cast haste and comet if able. While Lenna time mage I also gave her white mage ability (because she's always been the healer in my party). Here is the youtube video of part 5, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXh-K7dFb3E. I didn't win the boss fight so if you want to see where I left off go towards the end of the video.

Also as much as I am hating this boss fight can I just say the art for Exdeath looks amazing! I mean the guy looks like a total bad ass. Not saying he's the most memorable boss because after maybe 20 hours of gameplay all I know is he wants to restore the world the way it was before (whatever that means or than pure evil). From what I've Kefka was just down right evil on so many levels (no spoilers have not played that game). But lets face it Kefka kina looks like a circus freak lol.

Exdeath

Kefka

Also want to take the time to mention something that my boyfriend mentioned after I was streaming. I mentioned how I was enjoying the story more than FFXV. And no I'm not kidding when I say that either. Sorry for those who probably disagree with me but I just didn't enjoy the story from FFXV. It suffers from poor pacing, little to no explanation on some of the character (including the main ones) and the characters that should matter don't because the game spends little to no time on the characters. This video explains it well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bp-uNdefJo

Mega spoiler alert for FFV and FFXV! Read at your own risk!
Spoiler: show
When Galuf died (FFV and in part 5 of my video), I was in total shock. I had no idea that would happen to him. I spent time with Galuf; you get him at the beginning of the game. I got the time to get to know who Galuf is, his granddaughter, what Galuf did in the past and why he matters. Now compare that with the death of Lunafreya (FFXV) and I'm sorry but when she died I didn't care. I hardly knew who she was. All I know is that she should sacrifice herself for Noctis so he can complete his mission. I have no idea why she loves Noctis the way they do; in fact I don't see how they love each other at all. Looked more like an arrange marriage than something they both wanted honestly. Lunafreya is a blank slate to me, I know nothing about her past on a personal level, nothing about where she's from, her parents, I know pretty much nothing about this girl and she died sure it was a surprise but I just couldn't care that much. The same thing happen towards the end of FFXV when all the guys are sitting around the campfire and Noctis is talking to his friends. Its an emotional scene and I'm not saying I did't get to know the other main characters but I mean honestly what do we really know about them? Their all pretty shallow with the exception to Prompto who probably had slightly more depth than Noctis and even still more time could have been spent on him.

Anyway the point it after I got done streaming my boyfriend was like wow I guess its true what they say, you don't need a bunch of pretty graphics to enjoy the story.

And sorry for the long rant put I am a big proponent of telling a good story; because you know that's what you really want.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »
When it comes to Agarest, do yourself a favor and skip 1 and Zero.  Agarest War 2 is the only one in the series worth playing, and I actually reviewed it positively. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 08:52:47 PM »
When it comes to Agarest, do yourself a favor and skip 1 and Zero.  Agarest War 2 is the only one in the series worth playing, and I actually reviewed it positively.

Yeah I know the other ones aren't so great but I just cant skip :s

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 05:18:21 AM »
I know there are some connections between the games and some carryover data between them, but no prior knowledge is needed to play 2. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
I'm the same RPGgirl I decided 2017 I would end the pile of games, after having seemingly barely finished anything in 2016, so maybe I'll try and keep progress with ya lol!
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »
Currently playing Syberia 2. When I heard the announcement for Syberia 3 I was so excited. If you guys don't know the PC game Syberia I'm making a video walkthrough on my YouTube. Syberia 2 isn't as great as the first game. I think Syberia 2 focused too much on a specific story plot between Kate Walker and the Bourgoff brothers. Syberia 2 seemed like the story was about exploration, lore and so many other things. If you haven't played either games I defiantly recommend play the first one. They are both on steam and the Syberia 3 is also coming out on steam and Switch, which I think is pretty cool. Graphic wise Syberia 3 is making a lot of improvements and it looks like its going to play better than before and feel better.

Video Walkthrough: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLz4ZhOArulsmlUnIsTIEEySLDDCvjY81
The video walkthrough isn't complete. I should be able to complete Syberia 2 today. Its fairly a short game if you use the walkthrough which is given to you when you download the game. You just have to go in the steam files to open the walkthrough.

I think I'll make a quick video review of this game as well. Also...

Fate Extella comes out today so going to pick that up.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 11:03:23 AM »
And this is how I start falling behind in gaming. By playing one game before I even beat another. I started Fate Extella which just recently came out. So far the game is.....ok. It feels like a weird mix of rpg visual novel and a hack and slash tower defense game. Made a video of it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B20VF3T8HbQ

I need to finish Syberia 2 because I am close to the end and I was making a video walkthrough.

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 03:17:55 PM »
I'm trying to stick to 1 game per handheld and 2 on my PS4. It was Rogue Galaxy and Dragon Quest Heroes on my PS4, but those got pushed back for Tales of Berseria. 3DS is Xenoblade Chronicles and Vita is Trails in the Sky SC. I'm going to have about 20 hours of being on a train next weekend so I should get a good amount of handheld gaming in.

My goal for 2017 is to beat at least 10 games in my backlog that I have either already started or haven't played yet. So far I have 1.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:20:53 PM by Isjaki »

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 08:43:12 PM »
JUST BEAT FFV!!!

Overall its an ok game, defiantly this game wouldn't be as exciting if they didn't have the abundant jobs you can be in this game. I think there's more jobs in this game than FFIII (DS). So games beaten so far are

• Syberia 2
  • Final Fantasy V

Currently I am working on a game called Anachronox. Old Square Enix game, it has a sci-fi theme to it. Gonna make a video walkthrough of the game. Some of it is already posted on my you tube channel.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
Anachronox is fantastic (I gave it an Editor's Choice and wrote an editorial about it called "Why My Favorite JRPG isn't Japanese"), but that game was really buggy.  I assume versions available on GOG and all were given the two official patches.  There are also two fanmade patches out there as well, and with the original box version (which I played), having both official and both fanmade patches made the game run perfectly. 
     -Peppermint Patty

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 10:12:43 AM »
I really wanted to like Anachronox, but all of the vaguely guided backtracking in the first area turned me off big time. I consider myself a patient person, ...but no thanks. Felt way more tedious than a first area should (exact same case with Grandia, but I at least got halfway through that game). Maybe I'll come back to Anachronox when my son gets old enough to think I'm uncool, and I'll have more free time to tackle the ol' back log..

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 05:41:56 PM »
Think of that first area like Midgar in FF7.  Once you get through it, the game really opens up.  Granted, I loved Midgar and enjoyed The Bricks in Anachronox (especially when it started going like an Escher painting). 
     -Peppermint Patty

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 12:21:01 AM »
Anachronox is fantastic (I gave it an Editor's Choice and wrote an editorial about it called "Why My Favorite JRPG isn't Japanese"), but that game was really buggy.  I assume versions available on GOG and all were given the two official patches.  There are also two fanmade patches out there as well, and with the original box version (which I played), having both official and both fanmade patches made the game run perfectly.

Oh I was wondering if there was a review on RPGFan for it haha, it's kind of an old game. I'm actually liking the game so much I've been making a video playthrough and I plan on making a cinematic only of Anachronox and possible do commentary lore of Anachronox. I'm only 5 hours in and loving it. Is it a long game?

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
Think of that first area like Midgar in FF7.  Once you get through it, the game really opens up.  Granted, I loved Midgar and enjoyed The Bricks in Anachronox (especially when it started going like an Escher painting).

Oh I didn't think about Midgar but your right! I was thinking more of that one city in The Matrix 2, what was that place called again?