Author Topic: RPGFan Games of the Year 2016 - Semi-Unofficial Thread

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
RPGFan Games of the Year 2016 - Semi-Unofficial Thread
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:18 PM »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Games of the Year 2016 - Semi-Unofficial Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:11:21 PM »
Surprised at just how much love FFXV got considering how split the opinions seem on the boards. Also now that it's basically confirmed I need to try Digimon, it probably is done being 75% off during every big PSN sale.
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:25:55 PM »
Discuss...

(also I haven't looked at the front page for this site in years (I mean seriously, why do we even have one?)).

I'm just wondering how you even found the Awards! ;)

glassjawsh

• Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:37:44 PM »
^I only know what's going on on at the front page from your facebook feed...

Ransbottom's selfies are confusion next to everyone else using avatars (though to be fair to him, he is dapper af)

98% of everything Monsoon has ever written/said makes me angry

Also, other than original versions of remakes, I didn't play a single game on anyone's list (but I at least own Trails of Cold Steel)  and I'd be interested to know if anyone else on here did the same.

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 04:46:26 AM »
Sorta gives you a depressed feeling when you realize just how bad/mediocre last year was for RPGs,  when you look at some of the games that were actually considered for a best of year slot.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 04:50:50 AM by Chronix112 »

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 10:01:37 AM »
Surprised at just how much love FFXV got considering how split the opinions seem on the boards. Also now that it's basically confirmed I need to try Digimon, it probably is done being 75% off during every big PSN sale.

No love here for FFXV XD

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
I loved the Game of the Year lists and everyone did a great job with their write-ups and such.

But nobody has yet mentioned the most depressing thing here: in a year that promises to see the FFVII Remake, everyone's Most Anticipated is Persona 5.  This makes me... indescribably sad, and rather alienated.  I wonder if maybe I'm in the wrong community.

That being said, this feature did make me break down and add Digimon Cyber Sleuth to my list.
Current RPG - Final Fantasy XV

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 10:49:23 AM »
Never played Persona so I'm not exactly excited for it. My anticipated games are Syberia 3 (they plan to release the game 2017 Q1) and Dragon Quest Heroes 2. Probably my top two for now.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 10:51:07 AM »
Maybe no one actually believed we will see the FFVII remake this year. I certainly don't think it will.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 10:55:33 AM »
I loved the Game of the Year lists and everyone did a great job with their write-ups and such.

But nobody has yet mentioned the most depressing thing here: in a year that promises to see the FFVII Remake, everyone's Most Anticipated is Persona 5.  This makes me... indescribably sad, and rather alienated.  I wonder if maybe I'm in the wrong community.

That being said, this feature did make me break down and add Digimon Cyber Sleuth to my list.

I'm not really expecting FF7 in 2017.

So I'm assuming the GOY for site is FF15, Pokemon, or Digimon? I haven't played Digimon yet but I want it to win just so that we can say we are cool by picking a game that's neither AAA or indie. 

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 10:56:57 AM »

Persona 5 is very close, and has been delayed and delayed over and over again. It's also put in Japan, where it was rated rather highly. We know more about it, perhaps why so many of us put P5 as our most anticipated release of this year. That, and many of us put it on our list last year. Persona isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think RPGFan has had a long history of Persona fanboys and girls on the staff.

And trust me, I'm very excited for the FFVII Remake, but even though one part of the game might, and I say that with a pinch of salt, come out this year, we hardly know anything. Personally, I get excited about games that I know a lot about, and I've also played through FFVII more than once, so I know in a way what to expect (while obviously acknowledging FFVIIR will be very, very different.) Once I've heard more on the remake, I'm sure I'll be ready for it.

But I'm really glad you're interested in Digimon. I loved that game. Yet to finish it, but it's so addictive.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:00:46 AM by divingfalcons »

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 10:59:56 AM »

Digimon is actually $20 new at Gamestop but that means you have to go to gamestop.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »
Well, having played and enjoyed my first ever Pokemon game helped get me past the It's Frickin' Digimon bias I had.  Who knows when I'll get around to it.

I just wish I could be as excited for P5 as everyone else.  But I just have to accept that that is a ship that I simply shall never sail on.

Digimon is actually $20 new at Gamestop but that means you have to go to gamestop.

I needed to go there anyway for a new wiimote....
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:31:49 AM by Arvis »
Current RPG - Final Fantasy XV

glassjawsh

• Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 11:13:52 AM »
^ don't go to Gamestop.

I have nothing else constructive to add to the topic

just don't go to that place

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
Yeah, I'm super stoked for FF7 remake! But agree with the sentiment that I doubt we'll see it this year. Persona 5 definitely feels more... immediate, for lack of a better term.

And there's plenty of FFXV love among the staff! As always, a new numbered Final Fantasy brings about divisiveness, but there's a lot to enjoy about this one. Would have been my GOTY if not for the fact that Tokyo Mirage Sessions exceeded all of my expectations.