Author Topic: RPGFan Games of the Year 2016 - Semi-Unofficial Thread

NickRansbottom

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Games of the Year 2016 - Semi-Unofficial Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »
Ransbottom's selfies are confusion next to everyone else using avatars (though to be fair to him, he is dapper af)
At first I was like :( but then I was like :D

Also now that it's basically confirmed I need to try Digimon, it probably is done being 75% off during every big PSN sale.
Yeah, I encourage you to at least try it. I'm not too big on Digimon, but I've enjoyed what I played of Cyber Sleuth a lot. The combat is solid and I love being able to de-volve and re-evolve my Digimon. Plus the aesthetic is colorful, sleek, and shiny!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »
I'm more surprised not a single person had Breath of the Wild as their most anticipated, considering Zelda is covered by the site.

Honestly I'm a bit with Arvis on this one, but for a different reason. I love the Persona games (and by that I mean 3 & 4) but I am very much in the minority that doesn't really like the look of the game. It just seems a bit *over* stylized. Only marginally related, but a good example of this is one of the reasons I keep going back to FFX is because I love how clean and simple the menus and UI are.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »
Thanks, Klutz!  I don't feel so alone!  :P

Cyber Sleuth ... the aesthetic is colorful, sleek, and shiny!

Sometimes that's really all I need.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 05:47:05 PM »
In any year that has a new offline main-series FF game, that FF title always casts a looming shadow.  FFXV and Pokemon Sun/Moon released somewhat close to each other, and even Pokemon was somewhat affected by FFXV's looming shadow (at least in "hardcore" RPG player communities where many folks dropped Pokemon once FFXV came through.)  That's saying a lot since Pokemon may be a larger juggernaut than FF.  You ask the average person on the street what a chocobo is, and you'll get a lot of blank stares; but you ask the average person what a pikachu is and a ton more people can tell you. 

And were it not for the editorial deadline, I would have totally put Team Skull from Pokemon Sun/Moon in my top 5 as my Favorite Villain/Antagonist of 2015.  Those delightful guttersnipes absolutely stole the show for me with their ill dance moves, sick rhymes, stylin' outfits, and funky music. 

And I'll +1 the sentiment that Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth was really good.  I hope more people check it out now, because that game has sleeper hit written all over it. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:50:50 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 06:22:35 PM »
Given the praise that Digimon is getting here can someone tell me what the difference between Digimon and WoFF was and why Digimon was better? I've only played WoFF (which was a very good, not great game). They both seem very similar.

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 06:26:47 PM »
On the "most anticipated" front, don't worry too much, folks - after we wrap up GotY, some of the team will be working on Music of the Year, and others of us will be putting together the full list of all the games we're looking forward to this year. Whenever FF7 Remake comes out, we'll definitely be looking forward to it, and Zelda. (I'm sure more of us have plans for a Switch than had for a Wii U when it was about to be released.)

The official category awards come out tomorrow!

Oh - I just went to post this and saw the question about Digimon vs. WoFF.  I reviewed the former, and I'm playing through the latter now, and I definitely preferred Digimon. Its story is great, and while they both include the "evolution" mechanic and limitations on who you can have in your party, I prefer the way Digimon does both of those things.  Here are our reviews for both games, which include the full details.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Digimon_Story_Cyber_Sleuth/index.html
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/World_of_Final_Fantasy/index.html
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 11:49:02 PM »
^ don't go to Gamestop.

I have nothing else constructive to add to the topic

just don't go to that place

I went for a Robin Amiibo, I was not disappointed.

And on that note, I was amused by the comments generated on the Podcast about Fates. Yeah, the plot of those games are easily the series' new low, and some of the new mechanics could've been left on the cutting room floor. I really can't defend it either since some of those chapters got really specific on how to approach them, which was always more of an Advanced Wars thing than a Fire Emblem thing.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 11:52:34 PM »
It's always hard for me to be topical about my own experiences in any Game of the Year threads, because even when I have lots and lots of time to play games, I often stick to playing games that came out years ago I can get at like 80% off on Steam (or one I can steal from one of my brothers when they start gathering dust on their shelves).

Like a lot of other people, the Feature made me add some extra checkmarks next to Cyber Sleuth on my list. I had already heard lots of good things about it. I'm also really surprised Bravely Second didn't show up on more lists.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 11:58:07 PM »
It's always hard for me to be topical about my own experiences in any Game of the Year threads, because even when I have lots and lots of time to play games, I often stick to playing games that came out years ago I can get at like 80% off on Steam (or one I can steal from one of my brothers when they start gathering dust on their shelves).

Like a lot of other people, the Feature made me add some extra checkmarks next to Cyber Sleuth on my list. I had already heard lots of good things about it. I'm also really surprised Bravely Second didn't show up on more lists.

Yeah, there were a lot of RPG releases this year that didn't quite live up to prerelease expectations, despite all the big name releases. Bravely Second, SMTIV:A, FE:Fates, TMS, I am Gundam, and even XBCX wasn't all that it could've been.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 06:41:50 AM »

Yeah, there were a lot of RPG releases this year that didn't quite live up to prerelease expectations, despite all the big name releases. Bravely Second, SMTIV:A, FE:Fates, TMS, I am Gundam, and even XBCX wasn't all that it could've been.
Hey now, Xenoblade Chronicles X was released in 2015 not 2016. :p (Also it was personally easily my game of 2015).

Hope that SMTIV:A was at least decent as I was planning on working on it next.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2017, 06:54:23 AM »
SMT4A is good. Mechanically, it's more SMT4, which is wonderful. In terms of narrative, your mileage will vary. It didn't work for me, but it did for Rob Steinman.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »
Aside from High Barrier of Entry (and perhaps one or two of the tracks on the OST), I'm not sure what serious, legitimate criticisms can be leveled at Xenoblade X.  Darn near perfect video game.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 10:14:24 AM »
Poor characters, bare bones story and rote quest design, too much grinding? Great game though.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 10:27:09 AM »
^ Respectfully disagree with all (except perhaps the quest design, but I didn't really have a problem with that, either).

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 01:10:24 PM »
^ great idea and premise ruined by boring characters, gameplay and quest structure.  That series goes out of its way to bury you in fetch quests at its earliest convenience.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"