Author Topic: RPGFan Games of the Year 2016 - Semi-Unofficial Thread

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Games of the Year 2016 - Semi-Unofficial Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »
^ And I loved the characters, REALLY loved the gameplay, and enjoyed the myriad things to do in the game.  *shrugs*
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

IhaveFURY

• RPGFan Editor
  • Draw! Monster cardo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 02:35:23 PM »
I'll say this about XBX: it's quest design (and open world design in general) blows FFXVs out of the water. And I love both games, for the record.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 02:39:26 PM »
The thing about XBX that most open world games don't get is that it was fun to explore for the sake of exploring regardless of quests or missions.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »
In my adult life, I've never explored a video game world that fascinating me more than Xenoblade X's.  It gives me the same feelings of "wonderment" and "discovery" that games like Chrono Cross or Final Fantasy VI gave me as a teen.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
I'll say this about XBX: it's quest design (and open world design in general) blows FFXVs out of the water. And I love both games, for the record.

Yea FF15, which is very good, is a much better game if XBX never existed.

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
And in looking at the sitewide awards on the front page, it seems the reader votes pretty much echoed the site votes in the majority of categories. 

Biggest surprise for me is that Pokemon Sun/Moon's only award was reader runner-up.  That's very telling in the number of quality titles we saw in 2016 that the best Pokemon game in a long time got overshadowed.  I was also surprised that despite the phenomenon that Pokemon GO was, it was outshined in the hybrid category.

And though many of us put Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth in our individual lists and it was nominated for several categories, it won no awards... but it may end up being the biggest winner in the long run since several people in this thread now want to play it.  Again, that game has sleeper hit written all over it.

In other categories, my personal picks would be Kokurase for ensemble cast and Corpse Party 3DS for sound design.

Oddly enough, I'm not really anticipating anything.  I'm more about seeing what the year brings and staying off any hype trains.  Honestly, I'm most excited about Nuzlocke-ing Pokemon Moon this summer and doing a playlog of it for the site.  This will be my first Nuzlocke.  Otherwise, I'm looking for the next under-the-radar sleeper hit.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:52:46 PM by Dincrest »
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »
XBX had giant robots. XBX is amazing.

TASTY!

Dincrest

• Bollywood Punk
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Educated Fool
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
You fine folks do realize that Xenoblade Chronicles X won a bunch of awards in our 2015 GOTY proceedings, right?  Sitewide, individual, and reader. 
"Golly, why can't I act right outside of a baseball game?"
     -Peppermint Patty

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 05:07:46 PM »
FFXV in its FINAL FORM certainly wouldn't exist without XBX's influence. That said, FFXV kept me hooked start-to-finish in a way that XBX, though excellent, didn't. Maybe it's the American West-influenced setting that did it for me?

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
FFXV in its FINAL FORM certainly wouldn't exist without XBX's influence. That said, FFXV kept me hooked start-to-finish in a way that XBX, though excellent, didn't. Maybe it's the American West-influenced setting that did it for me?

That or XV didn't introduce an entirely new style of gameplay that's A) vastly more powerful than the previous style without certain setups, B) completely alters your method of transportation twice, and C) was far more boring to use due to not being nearly as intricately built as the previous style.

Frankly, XBCX could be described as a series of missed opportunities, whereas FFXV could be described as making the best out of a bad situation.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2017, 12:46:44 AM »
Did everyone just play XCX this year, or

Anyways if you're gonna play Cyber Sleuth, don't play as the female protag because the translation is awful and written as if you're playing as the male protag either way.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2017, 01:14:32 AM »

Anyways if you're gonna play Cyber Sleuth, don't play as the female protag because the translation is awful and written as if you're playing as the male protag either way.
I bought a Wii U solely for XCX, and only played it through after the new year.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »

Wouldn't be too hard to believe since XCX came out in December.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2017, 10:07:48 AM »

I bought a Wii U solely for XCX, and only played it through after the new year.

What D said.  To the letter.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »
Double-post:

xSeed sent a bunch of tweets celebrating the love Cold Steel got in RPGFan's Games of the Year feature.  They sent the tweets out 8 minutes after I sent a tweet to them pointing it out.  I'm sure they would have seen it on their own eventually, but still, you're welcome. :P