Author Topic: Completion List 2017

missRPGirl

• View Profile
Re: Completion List 2017
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »
So I finally finished my first game of 2017. For whatever reason, life got in the way, and gaming took a real back seat, plus I think I was sort of burnt out from the previous year, so I took a long hiatus from gaming. I dabbled a bit here and there, but nothing really took.

Ugh same here. Worse year I'm going through. =.=

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
1. Trails in the Sky SC

2. Final Fantasy XV
I don't think I've ever seen another game get so much hate online while being so incredibly good.  Something about that "Final Fantasy" in the name just seems to invite it, I guess....
Anyways, I loved this game, despite the problems.  The criticisms leveled at it, while sometimes fair, are absurdly exaggerated.  I enjoyed the battle system quite a bit, and really loved crafting magic.  Obviously the real strength of the game comes from the lifelike chemistry among the 4 playable characters.  For me, it never got old.  The design of the world was beautiful and I enjoyed cruising in the Regalia listening to classic FF tracks while taking in the scenery.  And the dungeon design was some of the best in the franchise.  Also, a shout out to the soundtrack, which was excellent, even if the game fought hard to prevent me listening to it.
While it's clear that XV suffered from a lack of focus in the directing, and it feels a bit too much like two different games mashed together, the final product is an impressive achievement, showcasing an absurd level of attention to detail not found elsewhere.

Final Score - 8/10

Up next:
Nier: Automata
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen another game get so much hate online while being so incredibly good.  Something about that "Final Fantasy" in the name just seems to invite it, I guess....

I definitely feel the Final Fantasy name adds a certain level of expectations that are...unique to each individual, to say the least. I'm glad you liked it, though. The characters & story were certaintly impressive considering what they had to work with, it's just too bad they had work under such odd circumstances.

MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2017, 10:49:01 PM »
1. Rise of the Tomb Raider
2. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 2: Sisters Generation
3. Kingdom Hearts 2.8
4. Atelier Rorona
5. Atelier Totori
6. Atelier Meruru

7. Persona 5 - I said in the thread after I beat it that I would give an extended post of my thoughts on the game, but I still have yet to fully gather them. I loved the game, obviously, but something felt off and kept it from being better than P4 in my opinion. As others have pointed out, part of it is the pacing. Even the final series of events felt pretty anti-climactic. Perhaps once it's been a while I'll write a bit reflectively on my experience. I doubt this is one I'll be playing again any time soon. The quality didn't quite live up to the 125 hours it took me to finish it.

8. Darksiders (Warmastered Edition) - I almost didn't count this because the first time I played the game I got all the way to the end before getting distracted trying to find all the items and never finishing the final boss. This time I was happy enough to find all the relics, legendary skills, and abyssal armor pieces. Was still missing one skill, two shards and a buttload of upgrades, but I still felt pretty accomplished having not used a guide.Only regret I really have is not finishing the top-hat zombie fights. Found him four times and just couldn't think of where else to look.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2017, 07:50:47 PM »
1) Lego Marvel Super Heroes
2) Tales o Graces f

3) Tales o' Xillia - Done-skeeze! Had fun. 'Tis a solid JRPG. Coming from Graces f, the battle system feels downright stiff, but otherwise, I enjoyed it more in every other way. Xillia does have its downsides, like the aforementioned stiff battle system (party AI pauses WAY too much, while enemy AI does not); uninspired dungeons; and strangely wooden voice acting for one of the main characters, but overall, it's good stuff. The story remains interesting, and the characters never got too annoying. I might even do a New Game +, but not right now. Need a break from RPGs for a bit. Gonna get on finishing Borderlands 2 and Infamous 2.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »
1. Fable II (17 hours)
2. The Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky (75 hours)
3. The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild (127 hours)
4. Shoot1Up (45 minutes)

5. FF IX  (45 hours) Glad I finally finished this one. It only took me half my life...

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »
1. Fire Emblem: Conquest
2. Fire Emblem: Revelations

It took me a while but I finally finished Fire Emblem Fates after beating Birthright last year. Conquest was easily the best entry of the three, while the other two were too easy to faceroll using the royal family. I guess I could make it harder by restricting myself to crappy characters like Selena and Orochi, though in that situation I'm pretty sure I'd just use Corrin to carry everyone else doing 0 damage.

3. Lisa: The Painful
Short and...well, not so sweet. It's certainly a nice challenge in the gameplay department but I'm left wondering what the point of the story was. For me if you want to make a story dark and depressing there should be some kind of point to it rather than it being for its own sake, and this felt a bit like the latter to me.

4. Pokemon Yellow
Been playing the Virtual Console version of the game on and off and beat it recently. Kinda funny how easy it is to break Pokemon games, especially the earlier ones- I cleared the game like 20 levels below the last boss.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2017, 12:02:13 AM »
2) Tales o Graces f
3) Tales o' Xillia

4) Infamous 2 - Played the shit out of this. Needed it after playing 2 Tales games in a row.
Went out the good guy way and made the sacrifice. Overall, not a bad game.  As I said before, it's pretty much Infamous 1.5, but that's not a bad thing if you enjoyed the first one, which I did. Kinda short and easy, though. More enemy types would have been better.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »
1. Trails in the Sky SC
2. Final Fantasy XV
3. FFXV: Episode Gladiolus

4. Nier: Automata
Wow, what a game.
Honestly.... I'm kinda finding it difficult to really say much here in review.  If anyone hasn't played it, please consider adding it to your list.  The story may not completely satisfy you the way it has for many.  I, myself, feel just the tiniest bit let down by the way the actual plot itself wrapped up.  In addition, many scenes and messages are legitimately off-putting, sanctimonious, or downright disturbing. But the way the game uses itself to tell the story is fascinating and unique, and for that alone it gets high marks from me.  Everything from the ending of Route B through to the beginning hour or two of Route C is some of the most amazing stuff video games have given me in years.  Maybe ever. 
Unfortunately, while the endgame plot revelations are appropriately epic and thought-provoking, they're told rather poorly, which left me scratching my head just a bit at the end.
Gameplay-wise, this is just about a perfect 10.  Everything is fast, fun, and exhilarating, requiring the player to increase their controller skills just as much as the character needs to increase their in-game skills.  Weapon upgrading feels very satisfying, and learning how to combo various weapons with each other never gets old.  Slashing your way through hordes of machines without taking a hit is one of the most satisfying things you'll experience in games this year.  This game also utilizes unique "gameplay shifts" where it'll suddenly become a top-down or side-scrolling action/shooter.  These sections keep you on your toes, as they often require completely different strategies, and they keep the gameplay from being repetitive.

All in all, it may not be the best game I've played this year, but it's certainly my front runner for 2017 GOTY.

Final Score: 4.5/5
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »
1. Fable II (17 hours)
4. Shoot1Up (45 minutes)
5. FF IX  (45 hours)
6. Ys Origin (17 hours) - This series never misses.  At least not since the PSP era.

I also can't believe I'm actually still on pace to finish 12 games in 12 months.  That never happens anymore.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2017, 11:44:03 PM »
3. Kingdom Hearts 2.8
4. Atelier Rorona
5. Atelier Totori
6. Atelier Meruru
7. Persona 5
8. Darksiders (Warmastered Edition)

9. Akiba's Beat -

This game. This freakin' game. Such a massive waste of an excellent cast of characters. Beyond the characters, even the battle system showed some potential to be great. Imagine Mode made for some truly adrenaline pumping action with unlimited AP and J-pop blasting in the background, but then that just highlighted how boring the rest of the battle was. Regular attacks barely ever dented an enemy, so most battles were just grinding up to the next imagine mode so you can do some decent damage. Boss fights were even worse since it was waiting for a full imagine gauge to take advantage of damage boosts.

That doesn't even cover other problems with the battle system, like enemies being able to cancel moves far too easily, particularly with casters. Or the fact that there were, like 8 varieties of normal enemies total and everything was just a reskin of one of those eight. And waiting until the very end of the game to give characters access to EX Skills was really dumb. And while it might make a little sense in theory, in practice the idea that AP regenerates slower if it isn't at 0 makes it hard to fight strategically instead of just button mashing.

Then there's the environments. Akiba is a lot smaller in scope than the previous game, with even less reason to explore since all the shops carry the same stuff and the only things that actually happen in the overworld are main events or side stories, both of which are clearly marked on the map with icons and fast travel is just a button press away.

Dungeons weren't much better, being very samey simple mazes with flat floors amidst a themed background and the occasional similarly themed props. Plus the game forces you to revisit them way too often, thanks to some dull filler content and monster hunting side quests that will constantly reward one visit to a dungeon with another quest from that same dungeon. Some of the dungeons had puzzle-type obstacles, but they were very basic things we've seen before, like teleporters and switches that control more than one door.

I really feel like this game could have been good if some of the passion that went into the characters and writing had also gone into making the gameplay decent. As it stands, the experience it offers is tedious, baffling, and drags on for way too long.

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
What a slow year for gaming, personal record wise at least.

Just beat 1 scenario for Ys Origins, not sure I'll go back and do the other ones. Seems a bit of a slog compared to other Ys games.

1.) Final Fantasy XV
2.) Ys: Origins

Odinsphere coming up next, whenever I get around to it I suppose.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2017, 01:23:07 AM »
1. Fable II (17 hours)
4. Shoot1Up (45 minutes)
5. FF IX  (45 hours)
6. Ys Origin (17 hours) - This series never misses.  At least not since the PSP era.

7. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles - I'd thought this game was a bit easy... until I got to Dracula... particularly his 3rd form. Richter is awesome and I'm glad I finally finished the lead in to the greatest game in the series.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »
2) Tales o Graces f
3) Tales o' Xillia
4) Infamous 2

5) Tales o' Vesperia  - Just under 55 hours. Really enjoyed my time with this one. Definitely glad I resurrected the Xbox 360 for it. Good story/characters/skits/gameplay/dungeon designs/music. By far the best of the three Tales games I've played so far this year. Might just be my favorite Tales game of all that I've played. As I've said before, there is an undeniable old school charm that is sorely missing from more recent RPGs that I've played. That goes a long way with me. Also, Yuri's anti-hero nature is indeed refreshing.
The only big cons I'd give it are the fact that enemies are practically invulnerable when knocked down (really messes with the flow of battle), and there are some crazy difficulty spikes with a few bosses. Other than that, highly recommended.  Especially for fans of the series who haven't gotten around to it yet.

Next up is Lost Odyssey, since I have the 360 hooked up. Never finished it back in the day.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
3. Kingdom Hearts 2.8
4. Atelier Rorona
5. Atelier Totori
6. Atelier Meruru
7. Persona 5
8. Darksiders (Warmastered Edition)
9. Akiba's Beat

10. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 3: V Generation

Really enjoyed the new characters, particularly Abnes and Copypaste! The games are still hilariously unbalanced. The final boss was doing 0 damage with her normal attacks, but could instantly wipe out 3/4 of my party with her special attack. This isn't that uncommon. One could have a def stat of 2200 and be completely immune to damage from an enemy, and another character with a def stat of 2150 could be getting their asses handed to them by that same enemy. The team really needs to learn how to craft a more nuanced RPG, but whatever. The humor always wins me over, and the plot of this one was also particularly fun to follow along with. Looking forward to diving right into V2.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:16:26 PM by Klutz64 »