Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Completion List 2017
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »
1. The Deed
2. Science Girls

3. 7th Dragon III Code: VFD

Oh, look it's baby's first dungeon crawler, how cute! :D

... Okay, that's a little too mean. To be honest, I really enjoyed this game despite being well aware that the dungeon design is bland and the dragon mini-bosses are overused, but some of the details just make it work. The classes are all a lot of fun and even the basic stuff like mage has more to it than usual. I also grew fond of the characters, who were often less 2D and anime-esque than expected. Julietta for instance, is totally queer and the type that will sort-of hit on anything that moves, but there's this sweet little sidequest where you play messenger for a soldier who has a crush on him, and you find out that's because Julietta reminds him of his boyfriend who passed away. So, uh, a somewhat romantic sidequest about a faceless gay soldier and the whole thing is not treated like joke. Did not expect that. Also, despite the 'town' area being fairly small, the variety of NPCs is pretty decent, to the point where there are random black people walking around without being token black characters. And no, not even the fantasy-type that's just kind of tan so they look exotic, nope, regular black people. Did not expect that in a JRPG that takes place in future Tokyo.

Anyway, I liked the characters and stuff. Which made it that much harder when...

Spoiler: show
Chapter 6 happened and the game killed everyone but the playable characters. It was like 'You get a gruesome death, and you get a gruesome death, everyone gets a gruesome death!' Not even the cats were spared! I loved those cats! And, okay, it's sort of fixed after defeating the final boss, but it's one of those bittersweet endings and ugh... I just want Yuma back! He and one of my characters went on an adorkable date, and they love eachother, and now my poor Rune Knight will be all alone and sad D:

I expected that in SMT 4: Apocalypse, not this cute little dungeon crawler RPG in which hackers and maids battle dragons...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 01:45:13 PM by Tomara »

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
Fable II - Very short. No final battle?? Maybe there was one and I didn't realize it? Still fun.

Nice. This is one of those I've been wanting to play over the years, but never got around to it. Really enjoyed the first one back in its day.

Darilon

• Level 5 Spoony Bard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 01:00:04 PM »
1. Items Kingdom Shop

It was alright. It was worth the money but it didn't scratch that Recettear itch that I had.

2. Fallout: New Vegas

I had a lot of fun with it. There are a lot of aspects like the speech system in it that I preferred over Fallout 4. That said, I wasn't fond of how they just blocked off where ever they didn't want you to go with difficult monsters. They really wanted you to follow their path to the Strip. Even fully patched, the game was still buggy. I had to reload every few hours.

3. Diablo 3

It was alright. I wasn't too gone on the story but it is not like the previous games were any better. I did like talking to the Scoundrel and Templar in between quests. Legendary items seemed pretty common too. I may go back eventually to try the harder difficulties and other things but right now, I am burned out.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »
it didn't scratch that Recettear itch that I had.

A very specific itch, indeed.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 01:05:53 AM »
1. Rise of the Tomb Raider

Loved most of it, but the third act was a bit of a letdown. It had some great moments, like the platform section in the planetarium and the entire sequence of taking down the second gate (particularly that final run from the last trebuchet to the destroyed gate) but it also felt a bit too like the last game, what with the immortal soldiers and all that. Plus the final battle was frustratingly dumb. The first part overdid it with the soldier waves and felt a bit like if they made 300 but called it 1, and the second part was incredibly annoying when you're supposed to distract ??????? with one of the two tiny cans hiding amongst the rubble while not being spotted in that tiny arena.

All in all, though, I did enjoy the game and will probably try out the other modes if I ever find time between everything else this year.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 09:40:40 AM »
1. The Deed
2. Science Girls

4. Hero's Saga Laevatein Tactics
... Wait, why did I play this again? A week ago, I thought 'I'd like to play a SRPG I haven't played before' and then this happened.

It was okay, I guess. Kind of like a mix of Tactics Ogre, Langrisser and Crystal Warriors. A bit tedious but a good challenge. Story was incredibly boring, but it gets some bonus points for the accents. Never thought I would kill a German zombie that wasn't a nazi.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:46:01 AM by Tomara »

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 09:48:16 AM »
You beat an SRPG in a week? I am jealous of your dedication

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »
It was relatively short. Took me less than 20 hours. Still, this was just a 'for funsies' game, no review money involved, so I might have played a bit too much...

Also, I'm not entirely sure why I have this game. I think it was in a stack of DS RPGs I bought years ago?

In any case, it did exactly what it needed to do, so... whatever.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 01:02:57 AM »

2. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 2: Sisters Generation

I finally got around to seeing the true ending, and while I still have the two conquest endings to see, I'm adding this to the list now in case I decide to skip those. The games are still fun for me, between the mindless grinding that I find incredibly relaxing, to the near endless supply of challenges and unlockables that could keep each title going forever, and I still think the writing and VA work in this series has improved by leaps and bounds with each game.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »
1. The Deed
2. Science Girls

5. Natural - Beyond Nature -
A short, sweet and sad little visual novel I played to review. You can play the demo if you want to see for yourself.

6. Mercenaries Saga 3: Gray Wolves of War
I nearly forgot this came out! It's the third game in a series of SRPGs inspired by Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics. It's cheap (/$5,99 for a 15+ hour game) and compact, which makes it perfect for when you want to play a no-nonsense SRPG but don't have the time to play through one of the classics yet again. Sadly, there's one thing it shouldn't have in common with Final Fantasy Tactics but does: a very unpolished translation. But, on the other hand... the antagonist is a total Char! Like, there's a mask and everything!

Spoiler: show
But instead of a mech there's a red demon and gets to attack twice a turn. Which is for the best, because I don't think I would have survived for long if it was actually three times as fast.

Actually, now that I think about it, the plot as a whole felt kind of Gundam-y but without mobile suits and set in a fantasy world. That's pretty cool, if you ask me.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »
Oh, there's a third Mercenaries Saga out?  I have the second one on my list, but it looks like the first one... uh... continues to not exist.  Is that a problem?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
From what I've gathered, we're not missing too much. These games are pretty much stand-alone in the way the Suikoden games were. They take place in the same world, but in diffferent years/locations. Claude, the main character of 2, does play a small part in 3, but that's more like a nod to players of the last game (you get to fight him) than something you need to be aware of to enjoy the story.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
Just beat Syberia 2 on PC.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »
2. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 2: Sisters Generation

3. Kingdom Hearts 2.8

Loved the UR4 stuff, really makes me look forward to KH3. KH3D still rubs me the wrong way, but I don't hate it quite as much as I would have were they not so lenient with unlocking the epilogue.

Might play A Fragmentary Passage once or twice more if I get another KH itch before KH3 releases (most likely skipping 1.5 + 2.5)

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2017, 04:36:31 AM »
1. The Deed
2. Science Girls
5. Natural - Beyond Nature -
6. Mercenaries Saga 3: Gray Wolves of War

7. Tales of Berseria
Best Tales game in a while. It's nice how to combined the darker themes of Xillia 2 with a more Graces like battlesystem. They still need to relearn how to design dungeons, though.