• May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: Completion List 2017
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 04:50:12 PM »
1. Rise of the Tomb Raider
2. Hyperdimension Neptunia Re:Birth 2: Sisters Generation
3. Kingdom Hearts 2.8

4. Atelier Rorona

Got the Cordelia ending, which is fine. Would've never been able to get the pie ending anyway since my level was way too low to handle the upper levels of that final dungeon. Might have had an easier time had I discovered the Windrider recipe much sooner, but oh well. I liked the ending. The True Ending part made my eyes a bit damp.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2017, 05:16:27 PM »
Fable II - Very short. No final battle?? Maybe there was one and I didn't realize it? Still fun.

2. Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky.  I'm trying to tie up as many lose ends as I possibly can before the Switch drops.  This was fun but took freaking forever.  The end wasn't as satisfying as I wanted it to be either.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 02:08:45 AM »
Banner Saga 1-2
The Order 1886
Oxenfree
Firewatch

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2017, 10:18:24 AM »
I can finally put an entry on here:

1) Lego Marvel Super Heroes - Had a ton of fun playing through the story missions with my son. We've only unlocked about half of the game's content, but the credits have rolled on the main game, so on this list it goes.

I think I had more games finished by this time last year, but I was playing through them one at a time, instead of 3 or 4 at a time, as I am doing now. At least this way, it feels like less of a chore to play through them. Hoping to wrap up Graces f and Borderlands 2 before the end of March...

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »
3. Kingdom Hearts 2.8
4. Atelier Rorona

5. Atelier Totori

True ending achieved! Truly a wonderful game. So much so that I might have to find a spot for it on my Top 10 games list whenever I have another reason to compile one. And while I've certainly grown fond of the Atelier series these last few months, there's just something extra special about Totori. I mean, I've already started Meruru and I can sort of tell I'm not going to enjoy it quite as much. It certainly doesn't help that the production value of Meruru seems lazy and depressing in comparison, with noticeable framerate stuttering and poor sound mixing even with the volume level sliders adjusted.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:40 AM »
1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Second Chapter

Finally!  About 110 hours.  It really was close to twice the length of FC, despite Jawshy's sarcastic reaction to the idea.

This is as close to a perfect JRPG as I think we can get in the modern era.  Classic aesthetics, but still beautiful.  Incredible writing, both on a dialogue level and regarding the overall plot.  Does utilize a few anime clichťs, but handles them well.  The characters are vibrant, interesting, and full of personality.  And the battle system and character building are straightforward, but just deep and varied enough to scratch that itch for customizing.  The ability to approach battles from various angles depending on your party and builds never stops being fun.  One of my most fun battles was when I used Silver Thorn with Olivier and confused all but one of 7 monsters coming at me in a midboss fight.  Most people consider moves like Silver Thorn and Zodiac to be a waste, but I was able to use them to great effect.  A testament to the level of balance in this game, it offers an awful lot of player freedom while still giving that freedom just enough of a boundary.

Final Score: 10/10
A fantastic JRPG with some of the best characters and plot in the history of the genre.

Up Next: Final Fantasy XV!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
^ Spending that amount of time on a single game that's not a vast open world is truly dedication. Hats off to you.

1) Lego Marvel Super Heroes

2)Tales oí Graces f Ė Iíve decided to abandoned the post-game content, and call this one complete. Back-tracking through old dungeons is a HUGE turn off for me, so fuck it. Yeah, the enemies are stronger and the loot better, but not much else was done to make it feel different than the main game. I just feel like Iíve had enough of the game at this point.
However, oddly enough, some of the best dialogue/interactions seem to have been saved for this part of the game.  Especially when the gang calls out Hubert on his feelings for Pascal. I am interested in what happens to the characters from here on out, so Iíll probably just read a FAQ/synopsis to get the rest of the story.
I enjoyed my time with the game. Itís the first Tales game Iíve finished since playing Symphonia Part Deux YEARS ago. The battle system in Graces f is top-notch, and the crafting system if interesting and deep enough (although the game didnít bother showing me the tutorial on the latter until the main game was almost finished, for some reason). Overall, the story is interesting enough. It really does have you questioning what the heck is going on in the first half. However, the main bad guy is a bit anti-climactic. ďI feel so different than everyone else. Iíve been mistreated, and now I hate the world, and am going to re-mold it in my preferred imageĒ. *Yawn*
There is some strong JRPG melodrama peppered throughout the game, but thatís to be expected. None of the characters were truly irritating, but they did get annoying at times. Mainly because they felt the need to verbosely proclaim their resolve and reasoning to their compatriots every 10 minutes. We all get why youíre doing this, guys. Of the character roster, I like Malik and Lambda-free Richard the most, because they seem to be the only ones who have their heads on straight. Plus, Malik is bad-ass in battle.

I have Xillia waiting in the wings, but Iím gonna play it later in the year. Need a break from Tales for now.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
For as small as the world of Graces feels due to the way they set navigation up, that game has a ton of content, probably more than even Vesperia or Abyss, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to get through all of the post-game content. I gave it a try, but stopped at about 85 hours.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »
^ Spending that amount of time on a single game that's not a vast open world is truly dedication. Hats off to you.

Thanks!  Just to be clear, there wasn't a ton of "dead" time there, nor hours grinding.  It was a lot of reading, which I enjoy.

None of the characters were truly irritating, but they did get annoying at times. Mainly because they felt the need to verbosely proclaim their resolve and reasoning to their compatriots every 10 minutes. We all get why youíre doing this, guys.

This made me LOL. :P
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »
For as small as the world of Graces feels due to the way they set navigation up, that game has a ton of content, probably more than even Vesperia or Abyss, I don't blame anyone for not wanting to get through all of the post-game content. I gave it a try, but stopped at about 85 hours.

You ain't lyin'. I do have to give them props for making the world feel larger than it is. However, like you, I had my fill at that point (roughly 65 hours in), and realized continuing any further would have simply been because I was forcing myself. In my opinion, that kind of feeling/drive should never be mixed with video games.

None of the characters were truly irritating, but they did get annoying at times. Mainly because they felt the need to verbosely proclaim their resolve and reasoning to their compatriots every 10 minutes. We all get why youíre doing this, guys.

This made me LOL. :P

I started skipping some of the dialogue in the mid-late game, because the same shit was basically being said over and over, especially by Asbel. That dead horse was beaten to a bloody pulp.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »
Fable II - Very short. No final battle?? Maybe there was one and I didn't realize it? Still fun.

2. The Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky (75 hours)
3. The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild (127 hours)
4. Shoot1Up (45 minutes)

On of these games is not like the other ones... one of these games doesn't beloooong. 

I've played shmups for a long time, and I've gotten to a point where if I practice enough I can clear almost any overhead style game (eventually), but even then, I'm not SO good that I waltz through hard mode on the first try without even coming close to getting a game over.  Shoot1Up is a great idea (phalanx!) and has a killer soundtrack but the standard playthrough mode was way too easy.  Luckily there are more challenging options.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2017, 11:18:04 PM »
3. Kingdom Hearts 2.8
4. Atelier Rorona
5. Atelier Totori

6. Atelier Meruru

And that concludes the Arland Trilogy. Was quite a journey that took me from being unable to get into the Atelier games due to the time mechanics, to actually finding myself more engaged than other games mostly due to those very mechanics. The games are actually helping me in my own life realize that there just isn't enough time to do everything there is to do and I need to start thinking about the things I really want to do.

But before I get too deep into my own personal neuroses, I'll simply say that I had a lot of fun playing through the games and I feel more accomplished--having completed them so quickly--than I've felt in a while. Though now I remain curious during what fight Meruru's version of Terminus was supposed to play.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »
3. Kingdom Hearts 2.8
4. Atelier Rorona
5. Atelier Totori

6. Atelier Meruru

And that concludes the Arland Trilogy. Was quite a journey that took me from being unable to get into the Atelier games due to the time mechanics, to actually finding myself more engaged than other games mostly due to those very mechanics. The games are actually helping me in my own life realize that there just isn't enough time to do everything there is to do and I need to start thinking about the things I really want to do.

But before I get too deep into my own personal neuroses, I'll simply say that I had a lot of fun playing through the games and I feel more accomplished--having completed them so quickly--than I've felt in a while. Though now I remain curious during what fight Meruru's version of Terminus was supposed to play.

Looks like me and you are trying those Atelier games :3
I just finished Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana.

• Syberia 2
  • Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana

I'm not done with the You Tube videos of Atelier but I have all the cutscenes on YT if anyone wants to watch.

I'd play the second Atelier Iris but I have a sealed copy. I think I rather go find a used one so I don't open it.

ultra7k

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »
So I finally finished my first game of 2017. For whatever reason, life got in the way, and gaming took a real back seat, plus I think I was sort of burnt out from the previous year, so I took a long hiatus from gaming. I dabbled a bit here and there, but nothing really took.

Rolled credits on FFXV on Friday. Game completion took about 32 or 37 hours, I can't recall which. Have some unanswered questions about the game, but unfortunately will not have time to go back and do the platinum as I beat it on my brothers machine while taking care of grandma while the parents were out of town. Started the game last Tuesday, and beat it by Friday. Overall, I really enjoyed it, and thought that the ending was nice touch.

Characters were roughly level 48 or so by the time I beat the game.

Tons of quests to do, and it is certainly easy to just get burnt out doing them, kind of like in Dragon Age Inquisition in the Hinterlands.

However, what is with the difficulty spike in that last area? Yikes.

1.) Final Fantasy XV