Author Topic: SMT Question

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
SMT Question
« on: January 05, 2017, 02:25:15 AM »
Yeah, I know right?

Anyways, what exactly was the inspiration for Mara?
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
Re: SMT Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:45:04 AM »
Mara is a demon of desire (both sexual and worldly) in Buddhism who tried to tempt Gautama Buddha away from his spiritual path. Sometimes Mara was depicted as androgynous or intersex, so Kaneko took his usual liberties there. One telling of the story is that Mara sent three demons to Buddha as his "three beautiful daughters" to seduce him. So perhaps the giant erect penis is what Mara is trying to turn Buddha's resolve into.

I could do without the deluge of penis jokes in the latest game. The design speaks for itself!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 02:49:32 AM by Towns Car Marty »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
So in short, the actual design has less to do with the mythological figure of Mara and more to do with being a (I want to say 'clever' but I feel that 'crass' better describes it (although the Ice weakness could be considered both due to it being both a double-entendre and a workaround for the SMT series lacking a proper Water element to complete the veiled reference)) reference to Leto II Atredies. Got it. Thanks.

Code: [Select]
I may have started to read through the Dune series in my spare time as of late. I'm kinda kicking myself for not doing so a few years earlier as I would've had a few clever retorts back when people still thought that SMT x FE involved Marth battling Mara or something. Also HBO or somebody should really do a movie or miniseries that covers one of the later OG series books because they go places (and maybe even use some of their GoT expertise/money to perhaps not completely fuck it up like every other attempt at putting Dune on a screen thus far).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 02:46:22 AM »
You made some surprising leaps there, but I don't not like them! Basically, yes. Kaneko has always hyper-stylized his demons, and Mara wasn't always as crass as he is now. Despite the shocking design, he was very understated in SMT2, and his role was appropriate to the original myth.

There are phallic and vulvic deities within mythology outside of SMT, so I'd be willing to give Mara a pass, but in every modern entry he's like "MY NAME IS MARA AND I'M HERE TO SAY, I'VE GOT A BIG DICK IN A MAJOR WAY, I SAID A MAAAAAJOR WAY"

Spoiler: show
Jodorowsky and Giger would've made a good Dune.

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
The association comes from certain Buddhist writers using "mara" as a stand-in for having an erection or becoming aroused. The SMT folks decided to render that, literally.

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
wow, i'd be interested in hearing more about that, if there's any particular writers you can point to.