Author Topic: An oral history of Final Fantasy 7

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
An oral history of Final Fantasy 7
« on: January 09, 2017, 05:10:14 PM »
Amazing article from (usually sub par) Polygon about FF, in the creators own words.

Is it amazing enough to deserve it's own thread?

http://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

you be the judge

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice"

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: An oral history of Final Fantasy 7
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
Replying to read later
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »
that article was so great.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 02:58:53 AM »
Wow that's pretty huge... only problem is I've been an FF fan so long I already know the series inside and outside so much I couldn't really get into it.

But yeah the scroll bar moved only slighty when I moved so obviously the thing is ginormous.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Mym

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 07:20:20 AM »
Spent a substantial part of my morning reading this. I regret nothing. While quite a bit of the article was retreading familiar ground for me, it was nice to hear it from the mouths of the people involved, and I enjoyed all the little anecdotes they shared. Plus there was quite a lot of stuff in there I hadn't heard too (I quickly realised how little I actually knew about things like the FF7 PC port and the development of Lost Odyssey). Thanks for the awesome link. ^^/

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 06:24:18 AM »
Read all of it, watched all the videos.

Highlights IMO

- FF7 didn't load all the sound individually, reducing the quality. Nobuo mentioned Suikoden as a series which did sound better... it makes sense they were familiar with other JRPG series, although I still thought it was interesting that Suikoden was picked out there.

- It's interesting to see the kinships and friendships, it seems like Nobuo and Amano are seemingly pretty friendly with each other, with Amano singling out Nobuo's music. Meanwhile, Kitase and Nomura seemed to be pretty good friends with each other. Basically, the seniority and paygrade, probably also age categories, meant for these kind of micro-relations which I thought was interesting.

- The insight into the localization/US side of things was pretty interesting. For instance, the team originally used game sharks to hack the data files out of the games since they didn't get them from the main office, plus at one point one person was doing all the localizing. It also makes the point that FF7 really made a huge headway for JRPGs in the US.

I also thought it was interesting how often they had like college students, like from UC Irvine, doing play testing or just in general the whole operation was very much not this huge planned out thing but just a bunch of people kind of getting together to help the games get done.

- They didn't get any bits from Sakaguchi when they got to the subject of the movie, wondering if he still has some strong negative feelings on the matter.

- I finally know who the translator is for all those other FF interviews and stuff I watched, Kyoko!
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:24 AM »
GT has probably still the hugest FF breakdown though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daCW46zW13A