Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »
Well yeah, I'd rather play almost anything over P5
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 06, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »
Picked up a running injury so out for a few weeks so I figured hell, its time to get a switch.

I avoided most news about this game like the plague so I could dive in as blind as possible.

2 hours in and I'm loving this. The cloud sea thing is quite imaginative. For all the whining about Rex he seems fine...so far.  Put a British accent on some other pre-teen like Vaan and all of sudden the talk about dreaming about being a sky pirate goes from nasally, annoying and over-caffinated to wonderous and profound. I don't know why Brits in very anime JRPGs work so well, but they do and we need more of this. 

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2018, 11:36:06 PM »

the power of friendship!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
I always think I want to play this and then I see the character designs again...
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2018, 07:32:00 PM »
Its nothing special.
Soundtrack is crazy good though. I would literally try and steal whomever did the soundtrack from Monolithsoft.

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 11, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
Soundtrack is crazy good though. I would literally try and steal whomever did the soundtrack from Monolithsoft.

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE (TOMOri Kudo, CHiCO), Kenji Hiramatsu, Manami Kiyota

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 11, 2018, 11:24:03 AM »
Three Xenoblade games, three (apparently) ridiculously incredible soundtracks.  How do they do it?

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 12, 2018, 12:55:42 AM »
I was never invested enough in the battle system to really understand it (just kind of brute-forced my way through the first two games), and while I did like the story in XC1, I could take or leave XCS's. What kept drawing me in with the series was the awesome soundtrack and exploring the map. I absolutely loved the map and all the secrets they held.

Still need to get on this new one once I get a few other RPGs I'm in the middle of out of the way.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 12, 2018, 03:34:36 AM »
Unfortunately, the maps in XBC2 aren't nearly as good as they were in XBCs 1 and X. Granted, it does start off well enough, but most of the later areas are basically a few massive empty fields or a bunch of narrow corridor dungeons.

The music does own though.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Nel_Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 12, 2018, 07:04:26 PM »
Unfortunately, the maps in XBC2 aren't nearly as good as they were in XBCs 1 and X. Granted, it does start off well enough, but most of the later areas are basically a few massive empty fields or a bunch of narrow corridor dungeons.

That is really disheartening.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2018, 01:56:21 PM »

That is really disheartening.
The maps aren't that bad...what's more annoying are the locked or blocked off areas that require specific skills that you get at random from blades. Though the latter areas do get a bit linear feeling, they still look hella impressive.

TASTY!

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2018, 09:36:39 PM »
I always think I want to play this and then I see the character designs again...

Its not Suikoden 3 in that dept but other than Rex's hammer pants they are actually decent IMO. I like XBC2's anime characters better than the character designs in Tales games.

and yea that soundtrack is pretty damn good.

the only thing I'm not really enjoying is the map. this game needs a tatsu ball in the worst way.

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »
did they ever fix the bad way points and completely shitty maps?

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2018, 09:58:46 AM »
did they ever fix the bad way points and completely shitty maps?

according to the updates they fixed some of the bad way points but not the map. the lousy map would be fine as it is with a tatsu ball.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2018, 12:01:01 PM »

Its not Suikoden 3 in that dept but other than Rex's hammer pants they are actually decent IMO.
Pyra is the worst character design I have seen in ages, and Rex is the second worst.