Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)
« Reply #210 on: April 16, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »

Pyra is the worst character design I have seen in ages, and Rex is the second worst.

come on now, they have to be at least second and third worst

I can tolerate a bit of fan service as long as they don't sound like blithering idiots (see: digimon cybersleuth). Kos-Mos was fan service-y. Rex and Pyra are likeable (so far on chapter 4) and Rex's outfit (from the waist up) kind of suits what he does.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:52:13 PM by Rook »

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 17, 2018, 12:57:58 AM »
Additionally, A) Rex is wearing a diving suit all the time (considering that its meant for deep cloud diving, whatever that means) it probably doesn't breath very well or something, and thus running around with it half open makes at least some sense, and B) he's not the only character in the game/setting to wear a diving suit (hell they stick Nia in one during a HtH). That said, he is the only one to sport a blue bomber diving suit (who here complained about Megaman Volnutt/Trigger's appearance in the Megaman Legend games?), and between that and the fact that the world is covered in endless water vapor, led me to start calling him Megaman Rex.

Spoiler: show
(Well that, and the fact that he does change his outfit to a silvery, neon-highlighted, spacefuture, diving suit that looks far more ridiculous than his original duds after receiving his most broken powerup kinda led me to seeing MMX parallels.)

There's not a whole lot of defending I'm willing to do for Homura though.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 17, 2018, 11:15:16 AM »
Touché @Rook
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Grainofariver

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2018, 10:34:29 PM »
You know what, I want to do something totally uncharacteristic here and make a point in defense of XC2's character designs. Don't get me wrong, I won't go so-far as to say I like them -- they're too exaggerated for me. Everything below the torso on Rex is too much, Homura's proportions are too much, etc., but there is something I do find very appealing to them, and that's the colours. I like when characters are designed with a thematic, identifiable colour: Rex's blue, Homura's red, Hikari's white, Nia's yellow, and so on. I feel it adds a lot of flavour to a cast: a visual distinction that makes each character stand out more.

I really noticed this preference with Tales of Xillia and its sequel. In the original game, each character is themed around a colour, and it makes the cast appear visually diverse and appealing. The sequel, on the other hand, uses a lot of black, white, and muted colours, resulting in designs that slip from my memory frequently. Whenever I think of a character from the Xillia games, my mind automatically jumps to the original designs.

It may be cartoonish and not particularly reflective of reality, but it's more important to me to have a strong visual understanding of a character versus something more realistic. Colour in general is something that attracted me to Xenoblade 2, and it's one aspect of the game that I will never fail to appreciate/champion. The designs themselves may not be great, but I'll have an easier time remembering the cast of XC2 over say, the cast of Dragon Age: Origins. Nothing against DA:O, but most of my memory of the game is a brown haze, and most of the cast is visually "that one guy/girl".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:36:34 PM by Grainofariver »
I like crackers... but only the good kind.

Der Jermeister

• A True Dragon Quest Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
Beyond the Beyond also had memorable character designs, but not in a good way, all the characters looking as though they had Down syndrome, and I didn't care for Final Fantasy Tactics' noseless designs, which really clashed with the serious nature of the game. Typically, I'm not a stickler for character art, but things like those really stuck out for me. So on the whole, memorable character designs for me tend to be far more negative than positive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 01:43:10 PM by Der Jermeister »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2018, 09:24:40 AM »
I didn't care for Final Fantasy Tactics' noseless designs

O___O
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2018, 07:46:18 PM »
Nothing against DA:O, but most of my memory of the game is a brown haze, and most of the cast is visually "that one guy/girl".

Morrigan, Alister.... that, uh, big guy you free from a cell-thing... oh, and the dog! That's all I got.

Edit: Oh, and the old healer lady! (Was there also a young healer lady?)

I agree JRPG characters tend to be more memorable.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:05:56 PM by Andrew »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2018, 07:48:19 PM »
Nothing against DA:O, but most of my memory of the game is a brown haze, and most of the cast is visually "that one guy/girl".

Morrigan, Alister.... that, uh, big guy you free from a cell-thing... oh, and the dog! That's all I got.

Don't forget about the Lesbian Pirate....or was she from DA2?

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2018, 09:05:03 PM »

Don't forget about the Lesbian Pirate....or was she from DA2?

I didn't play DA2, but she could well be from DA:O and I don't remember her...

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2018, 09:22:35 AM »
The big guy you free from a cell is Sten. The old healer lady is Wynne. There wasn't a young healer lady, but there was a younger woman who is part of the church, Leliana (she's a rogue).

And the pirate, Isabela, is in both games, but she's only a party member in DAII.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2018, 06:14:39 AM »
https://gematsu.com/2018/04/xenoblade-chronicles-2-version-1-4-0-update-launches-april-27-adds-two-new-rare-blades

Jesus. I'm glad I haven't really touched the game since I first beat it back in January.

Also, the Mazinger comparison jokes continue (although Poppi Black would be more of a Getter thing).

Limlight

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »
extreme mode sounds interesting....... ugh do i have to push a play through back to may now............!?!?!?!?!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
Had a chance to exchange a bunch of old 360 games for this last night.  Glad I went with the Switch port of Skyrim instead.

I'm not really glad about it

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2018, 06:45:03 AM »
https://gematsu.com/2018/04/xenoblade-chronicles-2-version-1-4-0-update-launches-april-27-adds-two-new-rare-blades

Jesus. I'm glad I haven't really touched the game since I first beat it back in January.

Also, the Mazinger comparison jokes continue (although Poppi Black would be more of a Getter thing).
Oh fun, I want both of those new blades, but since they are still making new blades I'll probably hold off on my second playthrough for now.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2018, 06:08:34 PM »
One thing I really enjoy about this game is the dub (translation is also excellent). All the characters manage to convey their feelings without overdoing it on the emotions. Everyone (so far) stays cool and level headed. Rex could have ended up an over-caffineated crazy-annoying shouty Black Clover character w. a poor director.

One example of this is when Vandahm lowers his voice (at 1:45 minor spoilers) when he's explaining to Rex the situtation he's in. In another RPG/anime he's pounding the desk and turned the volume way past 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfo114Yqb4

pics:

Nia