Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)

Electricb7

• View Profile
Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (no not X)
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2018, 09:25:52 PM »
Nah. You haven't gotten to the PYRA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! parts yet.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2018, 11:54:47 PM »
One thing I really enjoy about this game is the dub (translation is also excellent). All the characters manage to convey their feelings without overdoing it on the emotions. Everyone (so far) stays cool and level headed. Rex could have ended up an over-caffineated crazy-annoying shouty Black Clover character w. a poor director.

One example of this is when Vandahm lowers his voice (at 1:45 minor spoilers) when he's explaining to Rex the situtation he's in. In another RPG/anime he's pounding the desk and turned the volume way past 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWfo114Yqb4

pics:

You post this but didn't include the full gif? For shame....

(Now if only I had one of Nia's dance, which coincidentally goes right into that territory of the dub conflicting with what's happening when you've got angry Welsh mom Nia doing her silly dance.)
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 07, 2018, 09:58:50 PM »
Sure the map is an annoyance (all Xeno games seem to have that 1-2 things that get on your nerves) but this game has got a nice mix of story, exploration, fun, challenge and a bit of silliness. I'm really enjoying it right now.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2018, 01:06:53 AM »
Been playing this game for a while now, but was already fairly late to the table (only got a switch about 6 months ago). I'm absolutely loving it! Stupid thing though, it took me 40 hours and some searching online to really fully understand the battle system. So far, that's the biggest problem with the game, the battle system is fantastic, but they do a SHIT job of explaining it to you, and the fact that you have to purchase all the tutorial data in game is ridiculous. Now that I know how it works, I think it's up there with some of the best realtime battle systems I've ever used.

The story and writing is also surprisingly good for a jRPG. They went places with it that I didn't expect them to go, the kinds of things you'd usually take for granted in most games.
Spoiler: show
I think older jRPGs would have just had blades as a cool battle system, with little respect for the fact that you're actually setting up a master/slave relationship. When they finally went there, it was a big "THANK YOU!" moment for me, otherwise it would have felt creepy like Ar Tanelico.
Japan has always been masterful at creative world building, but they're often terrible at following through with their implications.

There's been enough time for me from playing Xenoblade1 (and I never had a WiiU so no X for me), that I didn't feel let down by the changes. I do think the dungeons and overworld maps took a big of a hit, but that's not saying much considering XB1 still has the greatest most dramatic maps ever created. Still, many of the maps in XB2 are breathtaking and interesting.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/xenoblade-chronicles-2-expansion-torna-the-golden-country-launches-september-14

That new Torna DLC looks really fucking good. It's almost like a whole new game, what with the mostly new cast and setting.

Day Later Edit: They showed off a new challenge mode DLC for XBC2 on Treehouse today and its looking pretty swank.

It gives you two new Blades to work with in this mode
Spoiler: show
Shulk and Fiona. The former even comes complete with a Vision Tag mechanic.

And some of the prizes include new costumes for characters like Pyra's Gormotti disguise.

It also offers some special battles like Jin vs that ship of Mor Ardainian soldiers from that random cutscene where he hijacks a bunch of Core Crystals.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:05:42 PM by Aeolus »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
Dabbul Bamp engaged: https://gematsu.com/2018/08/xenoblade-chronicles-2-version-1-5-2-update-now-available-adds-rare-blade-corvin-blade-elma-for-expansion-pass-owners

Sounds like we're nearing the end of the DLC updates. It'll be a good time to come back to this soon.

Also, hi Elma.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2018, 11:54:53 AM »
glad I waited so long to pick it up

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 03, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »
I'm on chapter 7, 85 hours in. Took a break when Banner saga 3 came out, thankfully you can watch all the cutscenes to catch up and take pictures. Gotta finish it up for the Takahashi finally gets to do a prequel DLC.