Author Topic: Never played a CRPG before, Q&A

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Never played a CRPG before, Q&A
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 06:03:27 AM »
Ironically I just checked out a youtube review of Jade Empire. Yea, that is totally going on my list.

but seriously, play Jade Empire it's great.

That's so ironic.

What a coincidence.

How ironic

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 08:17:55 PM »
Broken img for me I'm afraid, unless that was the point.

Anyway no journey through WRPGdom is complete without listening/watching this I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSLPH9d-jsI
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 09:18:25 AM »

Anyway no journey through WRPGdom is complete without listening/watching this I suppose.

Damn these forum upgrades. Wont let me hotlink smilies from other websites.

Anyways, just imagine an image of Captain Picard facepalming at your repeated abuse of the phrase 'Ironic'.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »

Well TIL violin playing can be more epic than I believed when I woke up this morning. Thanks
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
Hey, I hope Klyde doesn't mind me asking about Dragon Age here, but I am too lazy to make my own thread or bump the recommendations thread again:

Is Dragon Age II any good? Or at least, what were the general complaints? I own Origins and Inquisition, but I skipped #2. I also didn't like Origins (although it's been a long time since I played it), but I liked Inquisition the last time I played it, but that was a while ago because it's a massive game file-size-wise, and I keep having to delete it from my PS4 in order to make room for other games. I always heard Dragon Age 2 sucked, but I don't remember why, and I saw some footage involving Mage gameplay (mid-to-late game, usually on higher difficulties) and it actually looked pretty fun. I mean, I've never even considered playing as a mage before in other western RPGs (mostly because it takes too long to become useful, and I am a very impatient person, hence why I didn't like DA: Origins, or really most Bioware games, in fact. They're always too slow at the beginning)

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »
Hey, I hope Klyde doesn't mind me asking about Dragon Age here, but I am too lazy to make my own thread or bump the recommendations thread again:

Is Dragon Age II any good? Or at least, what were the general complaints? I own Origins and Inquisition, but I skipped #2. I also didn't like Origins (although it's been a long time since I played it), but I liked Inquisition the last time I played it, but that was a while ago because it's a massive game file-size-wise, and I keep having to delete it from my PS4 in order to make room for other games. I always heard Dragon Age 2 sucked, but I don't remember why, and I saw some footage involving Mage gameplay (mid-to-late game, usually on higher difficulties) and it actually looked pretty fun. I mean, I've never even considered playing as a mage before in other western RPGs (mostly because it takes too long to become useful, and I am a very impatient person, hence why I didn't like DA: Origins, or really most Bioware games, in fact. They're always too slow at the beginning)
Personally I love DA2 and it is my favorite of the series (which puts me in a very small minority). My reason for loving it is basically because Hawke is an actual character as opposed to a player cypher which improves the quality of his interactions between him and other characters imo when compared with the Warden and the Inquisitor. As for complaints about the game, here are the ones that I remember, although I am sure there are additional ones:

-dialogue wheel instead of text choices
-Warden didn't return
-no race choice
-reused maps (Basically there is one large "dungeon" map used for the majority of dungeons which has different enemies, chests, and resources populated in it along with different entrances and passageways opened and blocked depending on the dungeon. The "map" has multiple environment types in it, so it does change depending on where you are, but it got really old to some people really fast.)
-auto-dialogue (Some people disliked Hawke speaking without them telling him what to say)
-Some people dislike the Friendship/Rivalry system that replaced the affection system (meanwhile I love the Friendship/Rivalry system, but it des have some issues with implementation)
-Final chapter is short and suffers from that
-One of the final two boss fights kinda feels forced if you take a particular path in the game
-There are some plot points in the game that you couldn't do anything about which some people felt you should be able to do something about resulting in it feeling like the game was on rails to them
-Enemy encounters have a tendency to involve a bunch of waves of enemies that can in some instances feel arbitrary (when they just show up from nowhere) or tiring (as you hear Hawke cry out "Another wave." yet again)
-Some people disliked the change in art style (especially to the elves)

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2017, 10:02:06 PM »

Personally I love DA2 and it is my favorite of the series (which puts me in a very small minority). My reason for loving it is basically because Hawke is an actual character as opposed to a player cypher which improves the quality of his interactions between him and other characters imo when compared with the Warden and the Inquisitor.

Sold! Actually, that solves my biggest complaint with WRPGs in general.

But thanks for the breakdown, a lot of that sounds like things I could at least overlook, assuming that I'd even find any of them to be a problem at all.

Just out of curiousity, what class(es) have you chosen for Hawke?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:07:53 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2017, 07:50:18 AM »

But thanks for the breakdown, a lot of that sounds like things I could at least overlook, assuming that I'd even find any of them to be a problem at all.

I think I have only really done warrior Hawke. I should note that there are aspects of the story which change (slightly) depending on whether you are a mage or warrior/rogue.

Also I just remembered a system that I should probably mention while I am thinking about it, Depending on the dialogue choices you make, you can set Hawke's personality to be either aggressive, sarcastic, or diplomatic, which influences the auto-dialog that plays and will on rare occasions unlock new dialogue options. I generally play diplomatic Hawke, but I know a lot of people love sarcastic Hawke.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »
Story-wise, I found that a thief Hawke fits best. Power-wise, you want a mage Hawke.
Mages are (like in every other DA) way stronger. Although, that only matters if you're playing the top difficulties.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »

I think I have only really done warrior Hawke. I should note that there are aspects of the story which change (slightly) depending on whether you are a mage or warrior/rogue.

Also I just remembered a system that I should probably mention while I am thinking about it, Depending on the dialogue choices you make, you can set Hawke's personality to be either aggressive, sarcastic, or diplomatic, which influences the auto-dialog that plays and will on rare occasions unlock new dialogue options. I generally play diplomatic Hawke, but I know a lot of people love sarcastic Hawke.

That sounds really neat, actually. I could go for a sarcastic protag.

Story-wise, I found that a thief Hawke fits best. Power-wise, you want a mage Hawke.
Mages are (like in every other DA) way stronger. Although, that only matters if you're playing the top difficulties.

See, that's what I was thinking might've been the case after looking at the comments under the Youtube videos I was looking at, and it's like...I never play as Mages in RPGs, but maybe I should try that the next time I play a Dragon Age game. Unless they really do take ****ing forever to get decent spells, of course.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2017, 08:02:17 PM »
See, that's what I was thinking might've been the case after looking at the comments under the Youtube videos I was looking at, and it's like...I never play as Mages in RPGs, but maybe I should try that the next time I play a Dragon Age game. Unless they really do take ****ing forever to get decent spells, of course.

Game's got you covered.
The strongest mage sub-class for your hero in each DA is the 'I'm a warrior but with my magic stat'
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:04:57 PM by Annubis »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2017, 12:22:39 AM »
Artimicia's wheel of shock invoking opinions lands pretty much on the nose with DA.

My feeling on the kind of fantasy RPG wing of Bioware is pretty straightforward...

BG1 > NWN > DA1 > DA2 > DA3

That said, I couldn't help but notice they were gaining and increasing in popularity each time...

I think the explanation for that is that the later games cared less about strict RPG formulas and overall game quality in favor of aesthetics and kind of capturing the real themes that the fantasy RPG series were trying to express.

Like, I thought there were superior sarcastic/hilarious characters for instance in DA:O but they weren't refined into kind of the flinty iconic perfection that is sarcastic Hawke.

TDLR DA2 was perfectly good some people were overreacting for no good reason really.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:32:35 AM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2017, 12:34:09 AM »

Well TIL violin playing can be more epic than I believed when I woke up this morning. Thanks

Well if you are going to be getting into WRPGs there's no way you won't come across TES, Morrowind is my favorite but Skyrim was good too.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »
I think the explanation for that is that the later games cared less about strict RPG formulas and overall game quality in favor of aesthetics and kind of capturing the real themes that the fantasy RPG series were trying to express.

Well, you almost hit it on the nose. Add to it the fact that Dragon Age is on consoles and puts in a lot of effort to streamline the experience for regular people, and you now know why it took so damn long for Bioware to become household name. :T

Seriously, I'm still frustrated with old school Bioware games, simply because they impentrable and convoluted, while rarely really giving me a reason to feel emotionally invested to their characters within the first few hours (I usually peter out after 2 or 3). Sure, it might get better later on, and they love giving you tons of lore to read, but I'm not gonna lie, I don't give a damn their fictional history lessons. However, I care about the characters, places, and events that I'm actually going to see and interact with. I feel like that's why JRPGs work so well for me, now that I think about it. Anyways, Mass Effect happened, and I'm personally hoping Dragon Age continues the positive precedents that MA put forward (which seems to be the case so far, but I don't want to jump the gun like I usually do).

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 04:36:33 PM »
I kinda think it's the reverse though, I find DA to be sort of impenetrable and convoluted, whereas NWN was pretty clear cut... I can almost read the campaign back because it was so straightforward.

Plus I really liked characters like Aribeth, Aarin Gend, etc, over and above the DA counterparts, they just weren't fully rendered 3D models and very little VA and all that.