Author Topic: Never played a CRPG before, Q&A

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Never played a CRPG before, Q&A
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
I kinda think it's the reverse though, I find DA to be sort of impenetrable and convoluted, whereas NWN was pretty clear cut... I can almost read the campaign back because it was so straightforward.

Plus I really liked characters like Aribeth, Aarin Gend, etc, over and above the DA counterparts, they just weren't fully rendered 3D models and very little VA and all that.

Oh, I'm talking from a gameplay standpoint. Like, I've played the tutorials of Neverwinter Night, Baldur's Gate, and Icewind Dale a bunch of times, and each time I come away feeling like I don't even have a basic grasp of the gameplay. I'm still fumbling with menus, I'm still misusing techniques and spells, and practically need a glossary just to make it through the character creator, at least when I don't just give up and play with a pre-generated character. And all the while at no point do I feel like I'm having fun.

I should mention that don't know how to play Dragon Age either (at least Inquisition, anyways. It's been a while since I've played Origins), but at least I can still have fun and learn while I go. Seeing Klyde's comments on Baldur's Gate really reminded me of how much effort I'd need to invest in order to enjoy these Old School Bioware games, and with a few exceptions (Baldur's Gate 2), I haven't really felt like it's worth it.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 01:49:03 AM »
Well technically I did play D&D the tabletop version before BG so there's that.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 07:03:39 AM »
Well technically I did play D&D the tabletop version before BG so there's that.

I had a feeling, but that's probably where I find it to be impentrable. I got a whole folder full of different RPG rulesets from when I thought I might be willing to try those (just out of curiousity, I have nobody to play it with, and I prefer singleplayer games, anyways), but I can't make heads or tails of those either. Besides, I'm definitely playing the wrong game if learning it feels like I'm preparing for a book report.

I'm not knocking it as a whole, I just don't think it's for me, and I'm not surprised that Bioware's latest popular games have been more streamlined, if not outright action-oriented.

On a sidenote, I forgot to include KOTOR and Jade Empire in my previous list, though Jade Empire's more action-y combat might be more enjoyable me if I would just...stop pretending that I care about all the lore that they've written, because I every time I try to play it, I fall asleep halfway through the tutorial, just because I keep talking to the NPCs...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:18:05 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:16 AM »
That's the one thing TES does better than Bioware consistently IMO is the whole introduction sequence and starting out etc.

Morrowind was pretty perfect IMO, it's like your on this boat and then 4 seconds and 2 rooms later you are basically in the game.

Of course then it does the later parts of the game worse than Bioware, as well as combat and interaction.

A WRPG that combined the best of Bioware and TES into one game would be pretty amazing IMO, don't know if it exists though.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »
Elder Scrolls is also simpler mechanics-wise and easier to play in general, IMO. I actually thought Morrowind had a pretty lame beginning, since it offered the opposite extreme of explaining nothing and forcing the player to wander around incessantly until they figure out what to do. Which I'm used to in JRPGs, but then those usually aren't portrayed from a first person perspective with NPCs that wander all over the freakin' place.

But Skyrim's intro was perfect, especially since it doesn't force any class specializations on you before you're even familiar with the gameplay.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »
My problem with Skyrim's intro was the meaningless choice put on you with no real explanation.

That and the awkwardness of trying to make those weird jumps where you die if you fail, honestly just everything there was kind of a mess IMO.