Author Topic: Fire Emblem Echoes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Fire Emblem Echoes
« on: January 18, 2017, 07:28:07 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/01/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-valentia-announced-3ds

Probably the biggest piece of actual news that came from that FE direct. There's the next remake, and its of Gaiden (figured it'd either be this or 4). Lets hope they actually try to rebalance it this time (or at least design some actual battlefields instead of empty plains), or failing that, leaving it alone enough to let westerners experience the majesty of FE2 Archers and Falcon Knights.

(Kinda disappointed in Celica's redesign. Should've gone with a more yellow pallet.) Edit: renamed the thread while I'm fixing my post.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:46:54 PM by Aeolus »
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Shadows of Valentina
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:37:51 PM »
Huh two new Amiibo. Whelp I know three things I'm going to be buying now.

Rook

• View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Echoes
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:52:01 PM »
We are never ever ever gonna get a console FE again are we?

Limlight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:58:02 PM »
a new FE game for the switch was also announced, no title or additional info but the early release date is 2018. More info coming later this year.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 12:17:54 AM »
The Direct covered the following.

Echoes/The Gaiden Remake (looks half decent, new character confirmed as well, May release date, only Japan has any special editions announced for it, but we're getting Amiibo).
FE Switch (that and 'something something 2018' was all that was said about it).
FE Musou (New 3DS version and Butt Rock confirmed, otherwise just Chrom smacking faceless soldiers around, Fall 2017 release target).
FE Mobile (which ate most of the time and will be out by Feb 2).

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 09:46:45 AM »
As someone who never played Gaiden, I'm excited for this.

However.... I never actually played Fates: Conquest or Fates: Revelation.  Maybe... maybe I should do that?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »
HIDARI!!  Absolutely my favorite Japanese artist the last few years.

Also
http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5214-fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-coming-to-3ds-this-may
May 19th release! o_o
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »
^ Yeah, which means I have between now and May to play through Trails SC, Cold Steel I, Cold Steel II, Conquest, and Revelations.............

I think I'll give up now.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:30:08 PM »
^ Yeah, which means I have between now and May to play through Trails SC, Cold Steel I, Cold Steel II, Conquest, and Revelations.............

Where there is a will there is a way. I fully believe in your ability to accomplish this! Go for it!

Isjaki

• Kind of An Alchemist
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 06:36:06 PM »

Those FE games will seem so short compared to three Trails games.

This will likely be a day one buy for me. I'm definitely going to try and snag those Amiibo.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 07:36:09 PM »
Plus, this isn't going to be terribly long anyways given that its based upon a late Famicom game (especially if they don't fix any of the battlefields as most of them are featureless plains or caves, or predominantly desert/swamp/graveyard/ship/area with heavy movement restrictions/accuracy penalties, and enemy stats fell off easily even without grinding). Although the original could take a while if you go heavy into grinding (especially with Angel Ring shenanigans) and don't take Easy Mode.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 09:32:34 PM »
@Aeolus - Dude, I'm 99% sure they said Echoes was "inspired" by Gaiden. I don't think it's a remake, so much as just lifting the mechanics and some story-beats, and it will probably have a lot of substantial differences. It might not reuse even a single old map...I mean, did they ever show any gameplay? I know I looked at the 3+ minute trailers, and it was just CGs and semi-animated art...

EDIT: Ack...I saw that Gematsu swapped those trailers with the full Direct, which I never watch because I hate PR presentations...but they did clearly show that it was more of a remake than I thought. Oh well, it also clearly shows some differences, too. So I guess there's hope that they'll improve the individual maps.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:34:22 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »

Where there is a will there is a way. I fully believe in your ability to accomplish this! Go for it!

Wow, thanks!  :D

But that's never going to happen.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
I've never played FE Gaiden, but I honestly wasn't a big fan of Shadow Dragon so I'm not sure I'd like this one either. SD was too faithful of a remake, I'd rather they'd have added more character stuff and redid some gameplay stuff like maybe adding Lord/Thief promotes and making it so that Marth isn't the only one able to visit villages.

I did appreciate some things about Shadow Dragon though. It introduced reclassing of course, and I actually rather liked the unrestricted nature of it in SD. Hard 5 is ridiculous but I actually prefer something like that over Maniac mode where everything has Vantage+ and such.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 08:19:31 PM »
I've never played FE Gaiden, but I honestly wasn't a big fan of Shadow Dragon so I'm not sure I'd like this one either. SD was too faithful of a remake, I'd rather they'd have added more character stuff and redid some gameplay stuff like maybe adding Lord/Thief promotes and making it so that Marth isn't the only one able to visit villages.

I did appreciate some things about Shadow Dragon though. It introduced reclassing of course, and I actually rather liked the unrestricted nature of it in SD. Hard 5 is ridiculous but I actually prefer something like that over Maniac mode where everything has Vantage+ and such.

You don't have to worry about only Lords being able to visit Villages, since while that's still totally the case, Villages are entirely separate locations from Battlefields and thus doesn't require hauling Alm's or Celica's asses halfway across the map. Battlefields also contain no chests, locked doors or drawbridges and this game predates the Dancer class so nobody goes without at least one promotion unless they're already at their top class.

Also reclassing in New Mystery was less restrictive than Shadow Dragon's since a second playthrough unlocked the full reclass set (save Pegasus/Falcon Knights) for males (and females gained access to the General class to accommodate Sheema; though they were still denied Mercenary/Hero classes in spite of Malice's inclusion, she just got reclassed into a Myrmidon which is kinda ironic given how Narrave, the original Myrmidon archetype, was a Mercenary until the SD remake reclassed him into it; of course the reason why something like a Myrmidon class wasn't in the original was partly due to the dodge formula not being refined enough to support dodge heavy classes; and yet it gave us Clerics/Priests who could only level up through taking an axe to their face).

Plus they can't screw up stat caps as badly as they did in SD. So many Prepromotes became bench/gaiden fodder since their terrible growths weren't also adjusted to fill in the additional +4~10 points (unless your names were Sedgar or Wolf). (Unless they nerf the Angel Ring like they did with New Mystery's Star Orb Shards, which would make Gaiden's 40 caps unobtainable for every non-Villager/Mercenary/Hero character.)

That said, don't expect any high Resistance scores either (as nothing short of promotion gains actually influences them, and that includes character and class growth rates which topped out at a combined total of 0%).