Author Topic: Fire Emblem Echoes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Echoes
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 09:49:29 AM »
https://serenesforest.net/2017/02/11/echoes-new-english-screenshots-music-samples/#more-35513

And don't expect too many mechanical changes either since casting from HP, Gaiden style promoting/promotion gains, terrain shenanigans, fixed magic accuracy, monster effective damage and looting treasure chests for items are all confirmed to return.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/03/fire-emblem-echoes-introduces-two-new-characters-unit-movement-rewind-system

Double postin' on account of my naturally high Spd (and because IntSys is talking about the game again).

The new takeaways are looks at the new characters (plus a few oldies), the return of Classic/Casual (they say that it'll have a Normal and Hard mode, but will they also include the secret Easy mode or is that now the new Normal modo), and introducing Tactics Ogre PSP's Wheel Tarot mechanic.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »
So... after reading that, I'm wondering if perhaps I can cancel my preorder and use that money to buy Nier Automata instead.

EDIT: Aaaand, canceled.  Excited for Nier!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 03:46:54 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 06:56:49 PM »
Well, I'm glad I resided myself to skipping Fates for whatever comes after, since this one sounds a lot more fun, I don't want 3 full games keeping me from it.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 12:38:33 PM »
https://serenesforest.net/2017/03/14/echoes-footage-pax-east-analysis/#more-36706

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/fire-emblem-echoes-details-systems-characters

Between PAX East and the JP site updates, the details are coming in hot and fast.

(Also that Gematsu link is covering roughly half of OG Gaiden's playable cast, +/- certain new characters).

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 12:59:53 PM »
I wonder what they're going to do with some of the names. Kamui is fine in the English release, but another Leo is just going to cause trouble.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »
I do like those old school character designs.  Definitely better than the moe/fetish trope garbage in Fates.

TBF, the trope garbage was still well designed, just way too fanservice-y.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
I wonder what they're going to do with some of the names. Kamui is fine in the English release, but another Leo is just going to cause trouble.

His name is Leon now (totally different), much like Robin is now Tobin. They've also covered the rest of the changed names in that Choose Your Legends vote from prior to Heroes' launch (the other big name changes were Ryuto to Luthier and Dute/Dyute to Delthea; the rest of the changes are more along the lines of making names more pronounceable and nameular like Machilda to Mathilda and Paison to Python).

Still not as bad as all the Arthurs running around (FE4 has an Arthur, FE8 has Artur, and Fates has an Arthur too). But then, I suspect that IntSys might be doing some of this on purpose too, given shenanigans like the whole Ettard/Alondite business (where the two swords in FE9 were originally named Ettard and Ragnell, then Treehouse went with Ragnell and Alondite instead, so when FE10 came around, Ike's other Prf sword was given the name Alondite, which then got localized as Ettard).

I do like those old school character designs.  Definitely better than the moe/fetish trope garbage in Fates.

TBF, the trope garbage was still well designed, just way too fanservice-y.

I'm of two minds about the new designs myself. Unlike the Archanea games, Gaiden's characters never really got much in the way of anything besides those questionable Awakening redesigns for Alm and Celica, but on the other hand, if I had to pick between old skool Celica and the newer version, I still like ye olde version a little better. But on the other other hand, Mae's now a bae and Valbar's rockin' it both skools, while the Village People aren't just pallet swaps of each other anymore. Unfortunately, the real money makers/deal breakers were and are the back half of the PC cast.

Either way, they're all better than Chronic Crotch Windows and Pantsless Generals(/Paladins/Great Knights/Falcon Knights/etc.).

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »
His name is Leon now (totally different)

So...

Leon -> Leo
Leo -> Leon

Gotcha.

Why did they change Fates' Leon anyway? Because it was too similar to Lyon?

Either way, they're all better than Chronic Crotch Windows and Pantsless Generals(/Paladins/Great Knights/Falcon Knights/etc.).

Sadly, that's not much of an achievement...

That said, I do like the designs. Actually, I love them. They have this old-school vibe without feeling dated. But I like Hidari's stuff (like the Atelier Dusk-trilogy) in general. Her character designs are detailed and memorable without being overdesigned, which is something few popular Japanese artists seem to be capable of nowadays. They just pile on random shit and remove random bits of clothing until, well... things like Fire Emblem Fates characters happen. In any case, I hope Hidari sticks around for a few games.

Alisha

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »
Celica's battle theme is amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvd_k6jRmUU

also whats up with that archer attack range.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:38:17 PM by Alisha »

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 08:31:58 PM »
also whats up with that archer attack range.

And you thought that Fates' Archers were good? Gaiden's Archers! Accept no substitutes.

Anyways, the one thing I'm really hoping they actually fix in Echoes are the Female Mage Promotions.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 08:23:18 AM »
US Limited Edition is looking very classy.

If the EU LE is like that, I think I might pre-order one...

Edit: EU version announced. Not as nice looking as the US edition (and I think the artbook is smaller?), but it comes with amiibos. Since I wanted the amiibos anyway... Yeah, I'm probably going to pre-order this.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:34:36 PM by Tomara »

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
Oh god another Nintendo special edition. Time to warm up the old ebay account. >.>

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »
Honestly I'm all-in just because Hidari is probably my favourite anime artist at this time.  Easily one of the most enjoyable parts of the Atelier Dusk series too.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 12:49:01 AM »
https://serenesforest.net/2017/03/21/shadow-of-valentia-announces-new-video-and-bundles-for-na-and-eu/#more-37084

Highlights include, a new Prologue stage with kid Alm, Celica, Villagers, the return of Healing Squares, SMTIV villages, pixel hunting village looting segments, rearrangeable deployments, a glimpse of Celica's "I got a tiara" promotion, and deets on Amiibo functions (because surprisingly enough, Nintendo has yet to actually abandon this yet, unlike a great number of their other gimmicky peripherals like the E-Reader or the Wii U GameCube controllers).

That said, man the 3D models in this game look rather low effort.

Honestly I'm all-in just because Hidari is probably my favourite anime artist at this time.  Easily one of the most enjoyable parts of the Atelier Dusk series too.

Honestly, I never particularly cared for Hidari's art, and the more I see of this game, the more I see Hidari's designs going the same way as her other stuff (I can see why people would like her stuff, especially for Anime stuffs, but I just don't, and its entirely on preferences).