Author Topic: Fire Emblem Echoes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem Echoes
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »
I do like those old school character designs.  Definitely better than the moe/fetish trope garbage in Fates.

TBF, the trope garbage was still well designed, just way too fanservice-y.

I'm of two minds about the new designs myself. Unlike the Archanea games, Gaiden's characters never really got much in the way of anything besides those questionable Awakening redesigns for Alm and Celica, but on the other hand, if I had to pick between old skool Celica and the newer version, I still like ye olde version a little better. But on the other other hand, Mae's now a bae and Valbar's rockin' it both skools, while the Village People aren't just pallet swaps of each other anymore. Unfortunately, the real money makers/deal breakers were and are the back half of the PC cast.

Either way, they're all better than Chronic Crotch Windows and Pantsless Generals(/Paladins/Great Knights/Falcon Knights/etc.).

Honestly I'm all-in just because Hidari is probably my favourite anime artist at this time.  Easily one of the most enjoyable parts of the Atelier Dusk series too.

Honestly, I never particularly cared for Hidari's art, and the more I see of this game, the more I see Hidari's designs going the same way as her other stuff (I can see why people would like her stuff, especially for Anime stuffs, but I just don't, and its entirely on preferences).

I take it back! I TAKE IT ALL BACK!!!

Other than Celica's redesign, I am loving this. I see now the love.

also whats up with that archer attack range.

And you thought that Fates' Archers were good? Gaiden's Archers! Accept no substitutes.

Anyways, the one thing I'm really hoping they actually fix in Echoes are the Female Mage Promotions.

And Echoes Archers are to go further BEYOND!!!
Spoiler: show
Seriously, 8 fucking range.

Also apparently they did fix Female Mage Promotions in a way
because now any Villager based Class can go back to Villager with an item called a Villager's Fork. Also, thanks to Faye, Female Characters now have their own Villager promotion tree. You can turn Mae into a Pegasus Knight, Palla into a Cavalier, or even Sonia into a Cleric. And on top of that, they added new spells like Silence, Rescue, Rewarp, Freeze, Entrap and Again.

And a bunch of other major spoilers also dropped onto the Internet today, including
a Sixth Chapter, which makes sense given how Celica's team ended Gaiden as almost a total liability due to missing out on the entirety of Chapter 5 prior to the final showdown.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
You guys are crazy. Those old school designs are SO dated they are painful to look at. Straight out of 80s anime.

I really like the new designs and I'm excited to play with range 3-5 archers. I wish that stayed in the series. Funny how the 3DS fire emblem games have all improved archers in their own way.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
Oh right, info has started leaking out regarding this game which includes such fascinating tidbits as supports are in (thank god) and there is apparently a new chapter in the game.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2017, 09:59:06 PM »
Man, they nerfed the Rings hard as the Angel Ring now only boosts Luck by +20, Magic Ring now only boosts Magic Range by +2 and Speed Ring now only boosts Speed +10 and Movement +1.

Also, apparently the Character Ages aren't just for flavor text anymore as some Provisions are unsuitable for minors.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2017, 10:19:27 PM »
Also, apparently the Character Ages aren't just for flavor text anymore as some Provisions are unsuitable for minors.

lol, thats a cute touch.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 02:16:25 AM »
Straight out of 80s anime.

You call us crazy, and yet you say that like it's a bad thing. Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, lay off the pot. It's really starting to negatively affect your life's decisions and ability to decern quality character designs.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 10:05:19 PM »

You call us crazy, and yet you say that like it's a bad thing. Pot, meet Kettle. Kettle, lay off the pot. It's really starting to negatively affect your life's decisions and ability to decern quality character designs.

To be fair, FE games really didn't even have consistent designs prior to FE4 (nevar forget Pantsless Marth).

Not sure how I feel about Sonia. On the one hand, she has Rewarp and Entrap for shenanigans, but on the other hand, she lost Seraphim and Arrow for them and now her best Mage/Priestess spell is Excalibur (and no, this is not the high powered spell that every other version of Excalibur is; this is the +2 Mt/+15 Hit% over basic Fire version). You'll probably want to reclass her to Cleric/Saint for Seraphim instead. Although now that I'm looking at it, I'm almost certain that Faye made off with Sonia's missing spells for her own Mage/Priestess class.

Also lol at making Ragnarok a more reasonable spell, then turning around and giving Celica exclusive access to the sorta OG version as a skill (same 24 Mt but now costing 4 more HP and having +1 range, on top of being weightless due to being a skill).

Also also, Lady Sword is back and is even more ridiculous than in Mystery/New Mystery (and it was pretty fucking ridiculous back in FE3/DS2). No Bandit Effectiveness (which is whatever since there are very few Bandits in Gaiden to begin with), but converting Mt into Magic Damage is straight up no joke in this game (and for some HP you can turn it into a Brave weapon that hits Res).

Meanwhile, Falcon Knights have been nerfed really fucking hard due to their innate Monster Effectiveness bonus getting dropped to a mere +10 damage (versus getting a *3 multiplier stapled onto their total damage before Def is factored). There's gonna be very little reason to make Faye into a Pegasus/Falcon Knight, especially when discount Dancer can be in her future (and she can still get aboard the Anti-Evil train).

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »

No, those character designs were horrid. :P My opinion and aesthetic tastes are beyond question. ALL HAIL ME! (Joking)

As for Sona, I'm ok with a support mage focused on Rewarp and Entrap over doing damage. Such utility spells can certainly be useful.

I'm very happy Celica is getting the OP Ragnarok as a skill. Lord's should be powerhouses like Hector, not wimps you hide from combat like Roy.

Falcon Knights will still be useful for their high speed, carrying units, and the monster bonus damage should still be good.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:01:33 PM by bigdeath »

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2017, 02:26:28 AM »
As for Sona, I'm ok with a support mage focused on Rewarp and Entrap over doing damage. Such utility spells can certainly be useful.

I'm very happy Celica is getting the OP Ragnarok as a skill. Lord's should be powerhouses like Hector, not wimps you hide from combat like Roy.

Falcon Knights will still be useful for their high speed, carrying units, and the monster bonus damage should still be good.

She's pretty much a playable Witch which is awesome, but Arrow and Seraphim were what made her so good in Gaiden as Arrow was the second most damaging spell (though really inefficient in DPS versus HP cost and Wt penalty) and Seraphim + her other spells gave her all the utility (Fire for basics, Thunder for reach, Excalibur for hitting/occasional crits, Seraphim for effective damage). Another thing to note is that she was the only female Mage to learn Arrow in Gaiden (it was otherwise the Male Mage's most damaging spell) and that she, Celica and Kliff were the three Black Magic users with the highest number of learned spells (Kliff lacked Seraphim and Ragnarok, Sonia lacked Aura and Ragnarok, and Celica lacked Aura and Arrow). And since she picks up Entrap/Rewarp as a Saint as well as a Priestess, she might as well spring for the hardest hitting spell still available to her (and its not like she really needs Swords since the Magic Ring and Arms (Occult?) Scroll exist to boost magical proficiency).

For The Zophia's True Ragnarok Skill, while it does the same amount of damage as the original version does, it also costs 4 extra HP to use than the original. It also doesn't have a weight attached to it, but I also suspect that unless the skill states otherwise, it cannot double. Also, the spell version of Ragnarok is only 4 Mt weaker, which seems like a lot until you realize that its still a 20 Mt spell and its not nearly as heavy as Gaiden's version was (which means that you 'can' get doubled by this one). In fact, Aura and Arrow both have had their Wt reduced by a sizable amount on top of Arrow's range being extended.

As for Falcon Knights, I don't know if Rescuing will return in this game or not, but I do know that one thing they didn't have in Gaiden was a weakness to non-specific Bows. Nevermind, generic Bows still lack the Anti-Flier attribute. Hot damn, they're keeping this as faithful as possible in this regard (now watch as every Archer from Chapter 1 on has at least an Iron Bow, just to 'balance' the Whitewings).

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »
My EU Limited Edition arrived today and man, it's beautiful. And huge. The packaging is a bit of a puzzle, but they did pretty much everything I hoped they'd do: full size hardcover artbook and amiibo in their original packaging. I'm really glad I got it.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 05:45:57 PM »
I got the US special edition. I haven't started the game yet as I am travelling in a couple of weeks and I don't want to beat it before then, but I am looking forward to a peek into the past of FE.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »
Got it and some Amiibos (and the lithograph; it actually looks really nice). Time to party like its 1991/2~1993/4 (depending on whether we're talking JP release date or hypothetical NA release date).

Probably gonna make RTobin into an Archer, Kliff into a Mage, Grey into a Mercenary and Faye into a Cleric.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2017, 06:18:07 AM »
Here's what I did with my villagers:

Kliff = Archer
Faye = Mage
Gray = Caviller
Tobin = Merc

Penguin Boss Demands You Join Our Discord!

CLICK HERE TO BE TAKEN TO THE RPGFAN DISCORD

eightbitsamurai

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2017, 08:21:21 PM »
Interesting. I went:

Kliff: Fireball guy
Faye: Bird Pony
Grey: Stick 'em with the pointy end
Tobin: 8 range, for real

Also holy shit this game blows Fates out of the water like 20 minutes in. Everything except the CGI intro is better, imo. Haven't been able to put it down.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »
One thing that should be mentioned is that Valentia seems to run on a Hyrule Economy. Be prepared to cut some grass/boxes/jars/coral/etc... for Silver Marks and Side-Quest items.

Also currently heading into Part 3.